www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   [Review] Asus RT-AX88U (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Breview%5D-asus-rt-ax88u-6012723.html)

xonix 12-07-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuatKway (Post 121698202)
I'm using Netgear orbi mesh, wondering if this can cover a 4room hdb? Last time my ac68u didn't manage to reach the master bedroom

If you place it middle of house, maybe can. But you could pair it with your ac68u ( if you still have it ) using AiMesh.

ondooy 16-07-2019 02:49 PM

this is on sale for 389$ @ Amazon Prime Day

fishdundee 21-07-2019 11:54 PM

With this router..

It seems i can never never achieve a link rate higher that 192mbps

With my old router (rt-ac88u) I can get 866mbps at full signal.

Not to mention, at this link rate (192mbps), its impossible to stream a 4k video (50gb file size).

I could easily stream this when using my ac88u

AX-88u firmware version: 3.0.0.4.384_6210

kashix 22-07-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 121855746)
With this router..

It seems i can never never achieve a link rate higher that 192mbps

With my old router (rt-ac88u) I can get 866mbps at full signal.

Not to mention, at this link rate (192mbps), its impossible to stream a 4k video (50gb file size).

I could easily stream this when using my ac88u

AX-88u firmware version: 3.0.0.4.384_6210

Ur ax is it disabled? You don’t have the clients you try disable first and try again.

fishdundee 22-07-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kashix (Post 121855970)
Ur ax is it disabled? You don’t have the clients you try disable first and try again.

AX has been disabled, HE has been disabled

In any case, I decided to flash the merlin firmware into the AX88u, straight away i can get the desired maximum link rate. What is interesting is that I noticed my huawei P30 was connected at a link rate of 1.5 Gbps (with 160mhz enabled), I did not have a chance to stream a 4K video yet to see how it goes. Streaming videos on my nvidia shield tv was drastically improved. I figured that maybe speedtest might not be the best way to validate the performance of the link rate.

The only issue that i noticed now is that it could not sustained the connectivity, it will disconnect occasionally and reconnect again. Resulting in interrupting the video stream.

doran_lum 25-07-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondooy (Post 121766975)
this is on sale for 389$ @ Amazon Prime Day

For Amazon, the warranty is still cover by Asus locally ?

HuatKway 08-08-2019 11:32 AM

Some advice needed.
What's the best setting for this router for 5g? Enable 160mhz band and disable HE from what I see are the key changes? Do you all also enabled DFS?

kleave 13-08-2019 12:19 AM

Hi, I would like to check is there other setting that I missed out because I disabled AX frame and I keep getting the speed around 90+Mbps and I am on 1Gbps fibre plan.

The test client
MacBook Pro 2019 Model
Iphone X
Notebook with AC connection

Thanks.

kashix 13-08-2019 12:34 AM

90mbps on 2.4ghz?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleave (Post 122212517)
Hi, I would like to check is there other setting that I missed out because I disabled AX frame and I keep getting the speed around 90+Mbps and I am on 1Gbps fibre plan.

The test client
MacBook Pro 2019 Model
Iphone X
Notebook with AC connection

Thanks.


fishdundee 15-08-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleave (Post 122212517)
Hi, I would like to check is there other setting that I missed out because I disabled AX frame and I keep getting the speed around 90+Mbps and I am on 1Gbps fibre plan.

The test client
MacBook Pro 2019 Model
Iphone X
Notebook with AC connection

Thanks.

It seems that this router have a special preference for channel 149 in my case, which result in slow performance...

In the 5Ghz settings, instead of setting the wifi channels as auto, set it as channel 36 hardcoded. YOu will see significant increase.

Reverting back to asus official firmware caused my wan ports to be down once every few days, and i need to reboot. Merlin seems stable but wifi signals tends to drop when there is a huge file transfer.

Honestly,at this point, I would gladly trade my AX88U for a BRT-AC828U. Getting pretty exhausted taming this beast.

ksksksks 15-08-2019 02:00 AM

Try lower channels for 5ghz
Also lower mhz would be preferred
Say 20/40mhz < can try turning on just 20, but auto is fine for my case. I would highly recommend turning off 160mhz for 5ghz. Avoid dfs channel as well (not stable)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleave (Post 122212517)
Hi, I would like to check is there other setting that I missed out because I disabled AX frame and I keep getting the speed around 90+Mbps and I am on 1Gbps fibre plan.

The test client
MacBook Pro 2019 Model
Iphone X
Notebook with AC connection

Thanks.


fishdundee 15-08-2019 07:40 AM

media bridging with AX88u
 
Anyway not sure if anyone have tried out...

I did a media bridge (replacing my powerline) using my very old RT_AC66u, and did a file transfer of a very large file across.

Performance hovers around 25 to 30MB/s, that's close to 4 to 5 times the performance of my powerline connection.

I am curious if using an AC88u as a mediabridge, would the performance be better.

xonix 15-08-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 122249093)
Anyway not sure if anyone have tried out...

I did a media bridge (replacing my powerline) using my very old RT_AC66u, and did a file transfer of a very large file across.

Performance hovers around 25 to 30MB/s, that's close to 4 to 5 times the performance of my powerline connection.

I am curious if using an AC88u as a mediabridge, would the performance be better.

It would perform better if the link between the 2 is over 5ghz

fishdundee 15-08-2019 04:03 PM

My current connection is over 5ghz, ac66u is a 3x3 mimo with a consistent link rate above 1000mbps

Quote:

Originally Posted by xonix (Post 122249657)
It would perform better if the link between the 2 is over 5ghz


xonix 15-08-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 122256857)
My current connection is over 5ghz, ac66u is a 3x3 mimo with a consistent link rate above 1000mbps

What I mean to say is over 5ghz, confirm AC88U (4x4) > AC66U (3x3)
But whether the improvement is worth buying the AC88U, I can't say for sure.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.