www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   [Review] Asus RT-AX88U (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Breview%5D-asus-rt-ax88u-6012723.html)

AMAT 15-08-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 122256857)
My current connection is over 5ghz, ac66u is a 3x3 mimo with a consistent link rate above 1000mbps

What is the distance from ac66u to AX88u ? You can try place the ac66u to besides AX88U (< 20cm) and do speedtest again.

My one 2x2 can get around 300Mbps (about 31MB/s) at 12m away, so, yours should be higher, unless its the distance.

fishdundee 15-08-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAT (Post 122258423)
What is the distance from ac66u to AX88u ? You can try place the ac66u to besides AX88U (< 20cm) and do speedtest again.

My one 2x2 can get around 300Mbps (about 31MB/s) at 12m away, so, yours should be higher, unless its the distance.

Hi Amat,

I do not really use speedtest, but I actually tranferred a 50GB file across the media bridge. It does burst beyond 35MB/s. After a while it just stabilise at around that value. Its no meaning looking at burst rates in my case. Ability to sustain a certain rate matters much more. Esp when you need a stream a very big 4k video over the media bridge.

Mine is less than 10m away.

fishdundee 15-08-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xonix (Post 122257627)
What I mean to say is over 5ghz, confirm AC88U (4x4) > AC66U (3x3)
But whether the improvement is worth buying the AC88U, I can't say for sure.

agree.... might not be worth it if the performance improvement is just a little bit more.

Looking at how low AC66u cost is in 2nd hand market, its really a pretty viable consideration to buy it as a media bridge. i do not really blame the AC66u.....

I actually suspect that the AX firmware still needs a lot of improvement.

Ghost98765 15-08-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 122256857)
My current connection is over 5ghz, ac66u is a 3x3 mimo with a consistent link rate above 1000mbps

Wow, i canít reach those limit!

fishdundee 15-08-2019 06:43 PM

^_^

https://i263.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6jjbg5l0.png

AMAT 15-08-2019 09:22 PM

Oh, yours is in media bridge mode. So you connect from ac66u to your media, is it through lan or wirelessly ? Maybe the speed is due to the media.

Mine is in repeater mode, with lan cable to PC. Link speed is 867Mbps since 2x2, downloaded win 10 iso was 31MB/s, not burst speed.

fishdundee 15-08-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAT (Post 122261866)
Oh, yours is in media bridge mode. So you connect from ac66u to your media, is it through lan or wirelessly ? Maybe the speed is due to the media.

Mine is in repeater mode, with lan cable to PC. Link speed is 867Mhz since 2x2, downloaded win 10 iso was 31MB/s, not burst speed.

I have a NAS and android TV box connected to the 66u via LAN.

My pc is connected to the ax88u. When I need to copy from my NAS, it will be via my media bridge.

AMAT 16-08-2019 09:38 AM

I believe its either the NAS or AC66U, but unfortunately I don't have NAS to play around, so, can't comment further. Sorry :)

fishdundee 16-08-2019 11:50 PM

anyway.. the mediabridge performance is sufficient for me....

zaviour 21-08-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdundee (Post 122256857)
My current connection is over 5ghz, ac66u is a 3x3 mimo with a consistent link rate above 1000mbps

May I know the firmware on your AC66U? I cant even get pass beyond 200mbps for my 5Ghz wifi using iphone XS. Normally stuck at ~160mbps. For the direct cable connection I can get to around 700mbps. The fibre line under M1 1Gbps.

Any recommendation for setting as well for the normal wireless setting for the AC66U?

And sorry to digress a bit, can I bought another AC66U, and making it as AP by connecting it wirelessly to main AC66U router? AC66U 2nd hand quite cheap to source as main reason hahaha :s13:

-Grift- 21-08-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaviour (Post 122354297)
May I know the firmware on your AC66U? I cant even get pass beyond 200mbps for my 5Ghz wifi using iphone XS. Normally stuck at ~160mbps. For the direct cable connection I can get to around 700mbps. The fibre line under M1 1Gbps.

Any recommendation for setting as well for the normal wireless setting for the AC66U?

And sorry to digress a bit, can I bought another AC66U, and making it as AP by connecting it wirelessly to main AC66U router? AC66U 2nd hand quite cheap to source as main reason hahaha :s13:

Make sure 5GHz is set to 80Mhz width

AMAT 21-08-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaviour (Post 122354297)
May I know the firmware on your AC66U? I cant even get pass beyond 200mbps for my 5Ghz wifi using iphone XS. Normally stuck at ~160mbps. For the direct cable connection I can get to around 700mbps. The fibre line under M1 1Gbps.

Any recommendation for setting as well for the normal wireless setting for the AC66U?

And sorry to digress a bit, can I bought another AC66U, and making it as AP by connecting it wirelessly to main AC66U router? AC66U 2nd hand quite cheap to source as main reason hahaha :s13:

Your AC66U could be original HW version A1 (CPU at single core 600Mhz), while AC66U B1 is a lot faster (1Ghz dual core). Just look at the voltage, A1 is 1.58A, while B1 is 1.75A.

I just tested out Dlink 868L as repeater for my PC (on LAN), was able to hit 450Mbps. If I used back my 850L as repeater, it will only be 300Mbps+. 850L is 660Mhz Realtek, while 868L is broadcom 800Mhz dual core. so, a speed bump of 140Mhz can get it faster by 100Mbps+. Also, 868L linkspeed is quite stable at 867Mbps, while 850L linkspeed can fluctuate between 580Mbps to 867Mbps.

So, if you get AC66U, make sure its B1, or you can also consider the RT-1200G+, cpu is at 900Mhz, brand new some more at around $30.

channel bandwidth I left it at auto 20/40/80.

zaviour 21-08-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Grift- (Post 122354356)
Make sure 5GHz is set to 80Mhz width

I tried to set it to 80Mhz previously and the speed drop to ~70-80Mbps. So I changed back to 40Mhz, it seems the highest will the same setting as 80Mhz

zaviour 21-08-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAT (Post 122356952)
Your AC66U could be original HW version A1 (CPU at single core 600Mhz), while AC66U B1 is a lot faster (1Ghz dual core). Just look at the voltage, A1 is 1.58A, while B1 is 1.75A.

I just tested out Dlink 868L as repeater for my PC (on LAN), was able to hit 450Mbps. If I used back my 850L as repeater, it will only be 300Mbps+. 850L is 660Mhz Realtek, while 868L is broadcom 800Mhz dual core. so, a speed bump of 140Mhz can get it faster by 100Mbps+. Also, 868L linkspeed is quite stable at 867Mbps, while 850L linkspeed can fluctuate between 580Mbps to 867Mbps.

So, if you get AC66U, make sure its B1, or you can also consider the RT-1200G+, cpu is at 900Mhz, brand new some more at around $30.

channel bandwidth I left it at auto 20/40/80.

I will check it later when I get back home. For the RT-1200G+, I thought it will be slower since AC66U is AC1750, even though all those number is just a theoretical number. I am about to re-sign a new contact so getting the RT-1200G+ should not be a problem.

If that the case, will you suggest to swap it around? RT-1200G+ as main router then the AC66U as AP?

-Grift- 21-08-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaviour (Post 122357055)
I tried to set it to 80Mhz previously and the speed drop to ~70-80Mbps. So I changed back to 40Mhz, it seems the highest will the same setting as 80Mhz

I've always manually set 5GHz to 80Mhz width and channel 153, 600Mbps speed test no issue.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.