HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Review] Asus RT-AX88U

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #121

I will check it later when I get back home. For the RT-1200G+, I thought it will be slower since AC66U is AC1750, even though all those number is just a theoretical number. I am about to re-sign a new contact so getting the RT-1200G+ should not be a problem.

If that the case, will you suggest to swap it around? RT-1200G+ as main router then the AC66U as AP?
You need to check your ac66U HW version, if its A1, then can try out the 1200G+ as main router. If its B1, then it should be faster than 1200G+, so you might want to upgrade firmware, reset everything and start configuring again.

https://imgur.com/aZPLAEw

Last edited by AMAT; 21-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: insert specs
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #122

You need to check your ac66U HW version, if its A1, then can try out the 1200G+ as main router. If its B1, then it should be faster than 1200G+, so you might want to upgrade firmware, reset everything and start configuring again.

https://imgur.com/aZPLAEw
Okay let me check.. my firmware is using the merlin one. May I tried to reflash it with the latest firmware from Asus to try out since it has been sometimes back. As for the 5Ghz, my current setting 40Mhz with 36 as its channel due to I am the only one using this. Thanks.
zaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #123

Okay let me check.. my firmware is using the merlin one. May I tried to reflash it with the latest firmware from Asus to try out since it has been sometimes back. As for the 5Ghz, my current setting 40Mhz with 36 as its channel due to I am the only one using this. Thanks.
Verified mine is the RT-66U A1 model. I did a reflash to the latest firmware from ASUS website. There is an improvement over the 5GhZ wifi connection, now can get up to 300mbps vs previously max at 200mpbs.
zaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #124

Verified mine is the RT-66U A1 model. I did a reflash to the latest firmware from ASUS website. There is an improvement over the 5GhZ wifi connection, now can get up to 300mbps vs previously max at 200mpbs.
That's good to hear . I also don't use merlin firmware, this firmware is for those power users that want to overclock cpu/ram and monitoring the temp etc (plus adding fan to its back etc). I think I saw somewhere that if not configure properly, the internet/link speed will actually be worse than stock firmware (probably due to thermal throttling I guess).

You can try the 1200G+ as main router and see whether the 5Ghz will improve.
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #125

That's good to hear . I also don't use merlin firmware, this firmware is for those power users that want to overclock cpu/ram and monitoring the temp etc (plus adding fan to its back etc). I think I saw somewhere that if not configure properly, the internet/link speed will actually be worse than stock firmware (probably due to thermal throttling I guess).

You can try the 1200G+ as main router and see whether the 5Ghz will improve.
Not sure where you read about needing to setup differently from stock 🤔
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #126

I believe its either the NAS or AC66U, but unfortunately I don't have NAS to play around, so, can't comment further. Sorry
Its likely due to the cpu capability of the router that restricts the speed.
fishdundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.