[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

AhHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gotten it today as well.

Hell yea, compared to my fugging linksys it is heaven and hell.

glacieraze

Reaction score
just got this today as well to replaced my ageing dlink 655..

wireless definitely much better :o plus the 5Ghz

Bapenigo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i would like to know how can i know if my router is a faulty set?
what are the symptoms?

sandyph

Reaction score
hi anybody can help ?

just bought this, connecting the WAN port to singtel 2wire adsl modem and it connected to the internet according to the status page

the asus is on router mode (2nd option)

then try to browse internet using a wired laptop, but it seems to not be able to connect, looks like there's no DNS server

is there any setting I need to do ?
this is what the asus looks if I connect to the 2wire

Connection Type: Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
IP Address Allocation: DHCP
IP Address Type: Private (NAT)
Hardware Address: 54:04:a6:8f:fe:52
Vendor Class ID: udhcp 0.9.8-pre

is that correct ?

Zelaxis

Master Member
Reaction score
it looks like a hardware failure.. the LEDs are dim (not totally off) when powered on. The router is only able to behave as a switch, admin page cannot be accessed from same subnet IP. Reset button does no help. I googled and find at least 1 other similar case having similar symptoms.

edit: Right b4 its dead, I upgraded the f/w and power cycled the unit.. then use for a while. Suddenly no internet connection, I checked and from that point it became dead.

Zelaxis

Master Member
Reaction score
Nope.. I updated successfully and was using the unit for a while before it happened. Right after I updated, I even checked the admin page for the f/w version. Correct me if I am wrong, I think the update process will reboot the router. In any case, I don't discount the possibility its related to the updating or even to the latest f/w.

edit: Just another observation, even all the LEDs beside the LAN/WAN ports are totally off when powered on and with connected devices..

Last edited:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi anybody can help ?

just bought this, connecting the WAN port to singtel 2wire adsl modem and it connected to the internet according to the status page

the asus is on router mode (2nd option)

then try to browse internet using a wired laptop, but it seems to not be able to connect, looks like there's no DNS server

is there any setting I need to do ?
this is what the asus looks if I connect to the 2wire

Connection Type: Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
IP Address Allocation: DHCP
IP Address Type: Private (NAT)
Hardware Address: 54:04:a6:8f:fe:52
Vendor Class ID: udhcp 0.9.8-pre

is that correct ?

Should be using AP mode, unless you disabled the DHCP on your 2Wire.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it looks like a hardware failure.. the LEDs are dim (not totally off) when powered on. The router is only able to behave as a switch, admin page cannot be accessed from same subnet IP. Reset button does no help. I googled and find at least 1 other similar case having similar symptoms.

edit: Right b4 its dead, I upgraded the f/w and power cycled the unit.. then use for a while. Suddenly no internet connection, I checked and from that point it became dead.

RMA lor. might be a lemon.

sandyph

Reaction score
managed to solve the issue by resetting to factory setting and use the disc provided to set up :)

now the problem is the aiDisk cant recognize my portable 2.5 disc, I can see it on the USB application tab as Basic Portable but the aiDisk say that the USB have been removed ?

if I go to the main page it keep saying maxtor portable drive as unmounted

Last edited:

ddhungry

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i just got this router from SITEX and i'm loving it. suddenly i can download, stream video and surf net with no lag. Last time once i start downloading i can't even surf net. One thing i'm not sure is I read that you can setup the router to allow surfing of net on the 2.4GHz bandwidth and maybe downloading/streaming of video on the 5GHz bandwidth. How do you set up the router so that it can use the 2 bandwidth. Currently i used the D-Link DWA-160 and i have set up the 2.4GHz and 5GHz to be using the same SSID. In my D-Link Connection Management software i'm able to see both network but somehow i'm only able to connect to the 5GHz network. Sorry if my question is stupid, not very sure about this dual band technology.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i just got this router from SITEX and i'm loving it. suddenly i can download, stream video and surf net with no lag. Last time once i start downloading i can't even surf net. One thing i'm not sure is I read that you can setup the router to allow surfing of net on the 2.4GHz bandwidth and maybe downloading/streaming of video on the 5GHz bandwidth. How do you set up the router so that it can use the 2 bandwidth. Currently i used the D-Link DWA-160 and i have set up the 2.4GHz and 5GHz to be using the same SSID. In my D-Link Connection Management software i'm able to see both network but somehow i'm only able to connect to the 5GHz network. Sorry if my question is stupid, not very sure about this dual band technology.

Use 2 different SSIDs, then when connecting, choose one or the other. Dual band means one or the other, not both at the same time. Up to you to decide which device uses which frequency.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
What are the client devices that can use 5GHz without additional accessories?
e.g.:
- iPad2 = yes
- iPhone4S = no
- MacBooks...?

Is there any website which consolidates a list of 5Ghz capable client devices?

ddhungry

Reaction score
Use 2 different SSIDs, then when connecting, choose one or the other. Dual band means one or the other, not both at the same time. Up to you to decide which device uses which frequency.

I see. so basically i should have just gotten a normal wireless n adapter? No use getting a dual band adapter cos the 5GHz band is less congested and should be faster

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. so basically i should have just gotten a normal wireless n adapter? No use getting a dual band adapter cos the 5GHz band is less congested and should be faster

It depends on your usage. Most marketing ads state 600Mbps which gives the impression of double bandwidth which is not true. The actual scenario is that you can use either bands, but not an aggregation of both. Best way to use both bands is to split them between your wireless devices, but then again, not many wireless devices can operate on 5Ghz.

One thing about 5Ghz is that it has shorter range, although less congested. Your mileage may vary.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.