[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

shin89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Warranty ... no idea but don't really care (worth the minimal risk IMO) =:p

Took 3 weeks bcos of CNY. Normally around 2 weeks.

later sway sway i order then cant power up in singapore gg :(

rty

Reaction score
Hi,
also just bought it today but I fail to set it up. When I plug in the power cord 5G and power led light up blink blink for a while and then all is off. Also none of ther LAN port LEDs light up. I have tried with all my devices incl. modem but I can't access it, nor via switch nor via direct connection to my MAC (which seems not well supported, utilities is only for windows). I also tried different cables like included one and cat5.

Anyone can give me a hint ?

Thanks.

Connect your MAC to one of the LAN ports and launch your Safari browser then type in http://192.168.1.1 (or look at the Quick Setup Guide for anything that starts with http://192.168.x.x) See if it would prompt you for username & password for the configuration/setup page.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,
also just bought it today but I fail to set it up. When I plug in the power cord 5G and power led light up blink blink for a while and then all is off. Also none of ther LAN port LEDs light up. I have tried with all my devices incl. modem but I can't access it, nor via switch nor via direct connection to my MAC (which seems not well supported, utilities is only for windows). I also tried different cables like included one and cat5.

Anyone can give me a hint ?

Thanks.

It could either be the power adaptor that is not working, or the modem. If you bought it locally, you should go back to the shop and ask if they can do a one-for-one exchange.

elpibe10

Reaction score
later sway sway i order then cant power up in singapore gg :(

Yeah don't do it if you're a risk averse kind of fella.

Personally I like doing my shopping with my fingers and the convenience of having it delivered to my doorstep far outweighs the risk of DOA. At most just buy another one =:p

ideatalk

Reaction score
Mine arrived this morning ... from NewEgg :

AsusRT-N56U.jpg

Less than S$200 inclusive of int'l shipping =:p

sls got sell also at S$200+

elpibe10

Reaction score

I know but like I said, I prefer to do my shopping with my fingers and have the items delivered to my doorstep.

Any SLS shop (or any shop in SG) offering similar service ?

AFAIK, Potty and GooGoo don't carry this router.

humyt

Reaction score
This is weird....my iPAD and new Acer laptop can't access to this router via wireless but my iphones can.

Both the iPAD and Acer can see the router but just can't join it. Anyone able to help?

PS. Earlier I tried plug in the Dlink DWA-140 USB rangebooster to the Acer laptop and using that can access.

ang_moh

Reaction score
Archer, thx, that's what I did, I think it was the power adapter, it is working now (spent bloody hole sunday with it), most noticeable for me currently is the much improved range.

wha where in sls was 200, bought for 239, I prefer online when I can save substantiel money but because of situations like I had then local.

have to see how speed is in next days

humyt, you have to check wheter G5 has different settings if you connect via G5 which iPad can, not sure about Acer also if you have Mac filter

Last edited:

FoolishBose

Reaction score
Great Router

Just got mine yesterday, great router.

For those wondering where in SLS you can get it for ~$200, I got mine at Mediapro (#05-59) for $210. This is after the ongoing Asus promotion where you get $25 off if you bring in your old router. Brought in my 6 year old wireless G router, got the discount with no hassle. Normal price in the store is $235.

Was deciding between this and the Netgear 3700 (which they also have for ~$200) but went with this instead based on similar costs and newer hardware in the Asus. So far it severely outperforms my old D-Link 615, but that's probably not too hard. Range is great too, placed in the atrium of the staircase it manages to cover all three floors of a home.

What blew my mind were BT speeds. Although the 615 may have just been a poor performer, I was getting about 5-8x the speed continuing the same torrents on the Asus. Would give you some speedtest results too but the fibre installation failed yesterday due to problems with Nucleus Connect.

Very satisfied so far, but have to caution I've never personally tried the 3700 so can't compare between the two.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday, great router.

Congratulations. The trade in is a good sweetener. Am thinking of getting a 2nd one to test out the wireless bridging. I got an even older wireless B SMC router that I can do the trade-in.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will get this once third party firmware can be loaded..

And then you will see the performance of the router drop to dunno what because of dd-wrt inefficiencies! Afterall there aren't anymore team that does 3rd party for diff chip boards.
Already, the current crop of N routers are suffering

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
And then you will see the performance of the router drop to dunno what because of dd-wrt inefficiencies! Afterall there aren't anymore team that does 3rd party for diff chip boards.
Already, the current crop of N routers are suffering

And I wouldn't hold my breadth, particularly for DD WRT. RT-N56U is Ralink-based. I believe Broadcom's chipset works best with DD-WRT. Even Atheros chipset has issue. For example, WNDR3700 on DD-WRT has lower speeds than default firmware.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It applies for Ra boards also(tried). Which is why applying 3rd party fw is a stupid idea esp when pairing with next gen bb plans.

shin89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

oops just saw the post lol. gonna trade in my 2wire 1800 :D

edit: what do we need to bring for trade-in? just the router only or with the cables/adapter..

Last edited:

FoolishBose

Reaction score
I just brought in my old D-link router + power cord. They didn't even look twice/test it out before instantly deducting the $25.

redbean86

Reaction score
stores available:

Alltronic Computer
Cyberactive Technology
Fuwell International Pte Ltd
Laser Distributor Pte Ltd
Mediapro Technology
Media Mart Technology
South Asia Computer Pte Ltd
Video-Pro.com

NOLF

Reaction score
any experts know how does this router compare with an e3000?

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
any experts know how does this router compare with an e3000?

I don't own a e3000, but my guess is that it is as good as if not better than the e3000. The e3000 seems fairly problematic, which is why linksys has introduced the new e4200.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.