[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
if u compare a proper router standing up
let's take a normal looking dlink rounter
vs this asus + base with the tilt..

Which Dlink router is 'standing up'? The only one that is 'standing up' is the DIR-685, but that is not a full vertical router like the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300N or the Netgear WNDR3700. The DIR-685 is also tilted at an angle. The other Dlink routers are all lying flat.

I have the DIR-655, the WZR-HP-G300N, the WNDR3700, the RT-N56U, the RT-N66U and the Airport Extreme. Only the Buffalo and the WNDR3700 has a marginally smaller footprint.

P.S. The 2wire is 'standing up' that came with my Singnet fibre is 'standing up'. Maybe if you subscribe to Singnet, you don't need to look for a router.

Last edited:

adrianleegallagher

Reaction score
Just got the router after much contemplation. Am pleased to share that my wireless speed increased twofold! The lousy 2Wire 5012NV was only able to give me an average speed of 35mbps.

Just to share, my room is the furthest from the router in the living room (have to pass 2 walls and another room). I am on exStream 100.

2051408793.png

Last edited:

blackgunner2

Reaction score
Just got the router after much contemplation. Am pleased to share that my wireless speed increased twofold! The lousy 2Wire 5012NV was only able to give me an average speed of 35mbps.

Just to share, my room is the furthest from the router in the living room (have to pass 2 walls and another room). I am on exStream 100.

2051408793.png

Thinking of getting one to replace my 2Wire 5012NV also.. am on the explore Home 100 with mio TV.. Is it easy to setup everything? Btw did u get it from sim lim square?

Last edited:

adrianleegallagher

Reaction score
I got it from the Cyberactive store ($189) near my home. Didn't wanna make the trip to sim lim to save a few bucks.

It took me awhile to realise that I had to skip the WAN IP auto-detection and select the Singtel-MIO preset first. Once the preset is selected, you're good to go.

blackgunner2

Reaction score
Hi recently changed to the RT-N56U from 2Wire 5012NV... i have 2 laptops, one which can detect 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency band while the other can only detect 2.4GHz. Using speedtest.net, i am able to achieve max of around 60mbps in the living room less than 1m where my router is for the 2.4GHz frequency band.. is this normal for the 2.4GHz band? i have changed the settings for 2.4GHz to 'n only' under wireless mode and '40MHz' for channel bandwidth to try and max out the wireless speed since my wireless devices are all 11n. Am on 100mbps fibre explore Home btw.

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
reverse your channel, i.e 8 main and 12 extention. Chances are you have some devices which can't see beyond 11, and once in a while your N56U will drop back to single channel to check for legacy devices, which means it will fall back to channel 12.

reversing the channels should stabilise it, since it will fall back to 8 instead.

finally i found out it is not the router or channel's problem. all channels are working properly including 12, 13.

it is the strong interferance from my Panasonic wireless speaker, which is also on 2.4Ghz. whenever that speaker is turned on, i can't connect to the router, even though i see strong signal.

searched the net, and found out that it is a common issue with many wireless rear speakers from many manufacturers.

now just turn off hte speaker when using pc.

Last edited:

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi recently changed to the RT-N56U from 2Wire 5012NV... i have 2 laptops, one which can detect 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency band while the other can only detect 2.4GHz. Using speedtest.net, i am able to achieve max of around 60mbps in the living room less than 1m where my router is for the 2.4GHz frequency band.. is this normal for the 2.4GHz band? i have changed the settings for 2.4GHz to 'n only' under wireless mode and '40MHz' for channel bandwidth to try and max out the wireless speed since my wireless devices are all 11n. Am on 100mbps fibre explore Home btw.

only test internet speed using wired.

if 60mbps is what u get at 1m range for wireless testing, then it's not good. i got that speed at 15 meters with walls blocking the line of sight.

~大.芒.果~

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just got this router at $179...

LAN works great, however I'm barely hitting 30mbps on the ASUS USB-N13 that i just bought...my other devices are getting terrible speeds on wireless too.

the reception is 3/4 bars though :(

any tips?

~大.芒.果~

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've noticed that my WLAN speeds are fluctuating very badly even when i'm next to the router.

can go from 1mbps to 300mbps all of a suddenly and keeps jumping.
the number of "bars" on windows stays at full though.

router problem? :o

LAN is fine

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
~大.芒.果~;68325143 said:
i've noticed that my WLAN speeds are fluctuating very badly even when i'm next to the router.

can go from 1mbps to 300mbps all of a suddenly and keeps jumping.
the number of "bars" on windows stays at full though.

router problem? :o

LAN is fine

your settings? try padawan firmware and set to 40MHz with a fix channel eg, 1 if you are on 2.4GHz

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.