[Review] D-Link DIR-890L AC3200 ULTRA Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router

chanbri

Reaction score
im on 1.08 also. its what came in out of the box.
i downloaded the 1.07, no difference.

if i click check for new firmware, it will show 1.08 is ready for download.

Last edited:

spec07

Reaction score
Need some advice on the channel settings for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless settings.

Is it advisable to just set the channel setting to "Auto" or it is better to select a channel manually? I had read that it is better to use a channel that is less use by surrounding neighbours to prevent congestion. But it does not seems to be working for me.

Does this router able to auto select the channel base on its performance level?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on the channel settings for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless settings.

Is it advisable to just set the channel setting to "Auto" or it is better to select a channel manually? I had read that it is better to use a channel that is less use by surrounding neighbours to prevent congestion. But it does not seems to be working for me.

Does this router able to auto select the channel base on its performance level?

the router selects the channel based on the noise level.

it does not constantly scan when devices are connected to it, because if it does, your devices will lose wifi connection temporarily. it only switches channel when no device is connected to it..

spec07

Reaction score
the router selects the channel based on the noise level.

it does not constantly scan when devices are connected to it, because if it does, your devices will lose wifi connection temporarily. it only switches channel when no device is connected to it..

In this case, it is better to set it to "Auto" instead of manually selecting the channel myself?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In this case, it is better to set it to "Auto" instead of manually selecting the channel myself?

Depends.. you gotta scan at different timing. Cos some.of your neighbours might turn off at night. So when they turn on in the day, their channel changes. So in this case, it's best u fix your channel.

If they don't turn off at night, then u either put to auto or u fix one cleaner channel yourself..

jonoquek

Reaction score
Normally, I auto it .. unless I facing some issue like my client only have 1-11 channel and router select channel 12-13 .. or I having terrible wireless connection.. touchwood..

spec07

Reaction score
It seems like it is not a sure win case for both options.

1 more questions. What channel width did you guys set for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

2.4GHz - 20MHz
5GHz - Auto 20/40MHz or Auto 20/40/80MHz?

Last edited:

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Normally, I auto it .. unless I facing some issue like my client only have 1-11 channel and router select channel 12-13 .. or I having terrible wireless connection.. touchwood..

ya I set auto also

bear1sg

Reaction score
beside DWA-192 to go with DIR-890L. Any other faster wireless adaptor to go for it?

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
beside DWA-192 to go with DIR-890L. Any other faster wireless adaptor to go for it?

so far, I think DWA-192 is the first in the market wit a1900 technology... as of now, no other usb wireless adapter has this technology yet. :)

hope that helps!

TechVodoo

Reaction score
Can you use the 885l with ST?

As of now, no announcement yet but DIR-890L should be ok? Since that product has been in the market for quite some time?

Anyway I will also check with the sales tomorrow at their booth.

mauz20

Reaction score
anybody using this router with Viewqwest's 1Gb plan?
I recently switched to Viewqwest during the IT show and I can only reach 400Mbps. the guy who installed plugged his laptop straight to the modem and he got 1Gb.
I'm using dd-wrt (forgot which build, but one of the latest ones).

thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.