Is 100M good enough for websites and streaming sports?

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a 200M plan...
Did some primary test using a combination of smartphones and wires...
Currently my dekstop I have N adapter only. can get like 20M

Considering the following:
Buy an AC adapter, and get about 100M on my desktop.
Run a lan cable: get 200M on desktop.

But im not inclined to running a lan wire. so I'm asking if the excess 100M is significant?

abstrax

Reaction score
I have a 200M plan...
Did some primary test using a combination of smartphones and wires...
Currently my dekstop I have N adapter only. can get like 20M

Considering the following:
Buy an AC adapter, and get about 100M on my desktop.
Run a lan cable: get 200M on desktop.

But im not inclined to running a lan wire. so I'm asking if the excess 100M is significant?

If not running BT....shld b alright...

mikafire

Reaction score
if u r single user then no effect at all..if ur famly member also using tgt, may hav impact

fiber connection is quite stable as now..enjoy :)

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would save all the cost and straight away run lan cable... once and for all eliminated the bottleneck... i just have my place wired by cat 6 cable no horse run... dun need to use homeplug and wait for newer or better homeplug... Using wired lan cable confirm can reach yr max speed.;) And as u see all those fibre war u know the pricing for 1gbps will be getting more affordable. So get wired and prepare for 1gbps

ayeong

Reaction score
I'm running on M1 100Mbps for the 3rd year. Currently only paying S$29 per month. I felt it's cheap and good, serve my purpose of downloading, surfing and streaming sports in HD.

My current setup as follow:

ONT -> Homeplug -> Homeplug -> Asus RT-N56 (lousy router free from M1)

So far so good, no problem.

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would save all the cost and straight away run lan cable... once and for all eliminated the bottleneck... i just have my place wired by cat 6 cable no horse run... dun need to use homeplug and wait for newer or better homeplug... Using wired lan cable confirm can reach yr max speed.;) And as u see all those fibre war u know the pricing for 1gbps will be getting more affordable. So get wired and prepare for 1gbps
haha not possible cos my dad's not inclined to more wiring around the house...

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha not possible cos my dad's not inclined to more wiring around the house...

100Mbps sure enough for sports streaming and websites.

You should be able to get 100-150Mbps on wireless N 5Ghz (2T2R) but your router must be quite near, and if it is that near you can start to consider if you are able to plug in a cable without your dad complaining.

Wireless AC should be able to get over 200Mbps I think. But this will of course overshot your plan max limit + u need to bear current heavy cost of ac routers and adapters.

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the router is quite near. just that it's on both side of a brick wall.

any recommendation for AC adapter? im looking at tplink archer T4U but quite exp sia )=

abstrax

Reaction score
the router is quite near. just that it's on both side of a brick wall.

any recommendation for AC adapter? im looking at tplink archer T4U but quite exp sia )=

Latest technology always come with a price.......i saw some posts saying this tplink t4u not bad....

Ronaldo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I 6mbps can get gd wired streaming...wonder fiber will get better?

abstrax

Reaction score
I 6mbps can get gd wired streaming...wonder fiber will get better?

Buffering of video will be faster for HD videos...which means almost no buffering...smooth video playback even i use my phone or tablet...

Tats wat my experience so far when i upgraded from ADSL to fiber...come n join us to experience the true speed of fiber internet!!

Ronaldo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buffering of video will be faster for HD videos...which means almost no buffering...smooth video playback even i use my phone or tablet...

Tats wat my experience so far when i upgraded from ADSL to fiber...come n join us to experience the true speed of fiber internet!!

Soon...25th..hope it as gd as u say..SH

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beside bandwidth for video streaming from overseas sites, the most important is to get a good vpn service provider. Next your devices must be in good condition. Your notebook must be at least a mid range one and not a low end notebook. I prefer at least 2G GDDR5 video card. I am using Geforce GTX 770M.

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
Wired speed will always be superior to wireless :s13: People complain about messy cabling but only wired connection offers maximum transfer speeds. My connection point is located downstairs in the living room, so I ran a 20m Cat 6 cable through the balcony and window to my bedroom. :s12: Forget home plugs and wireless routers. No compromise when it comes to transfer speeds.

I only use wireless for updating phone apps/software (because there's no alternative) and casual web surfing. Gaming or heavy downloads require wired connections.

100Mbps can't make it if you stream from overseas sites. Lots of abrupt pauses and freezing as the data needs to buffer continuously. After I upgraded to 200Mbps, things improve. Still some stuttering from time to time, but less frequent. But i would say 300Mbps will guarantee absolute stable and fluid overseas streaming.

rabidbulldog

Reaction score
If you have many people sharing the same network, for 100mbps maybe not.

But if you are the only one using it, even 10mbps ADSL is more than enough.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have many people sharing the same network, for 100mbps maybe not.

But if you are the only one using it, even 10mbps ADSL is more than enough.

Well said. 10 Mbps is more than enough for gaming/ streaming. But if they throttle your speed, even 100mbps also crawls.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.