HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2.5Gbps ethernet card (Wired)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

2.5Gbps ethernet card (Wired)

Noob question: Will installing a new PCIe 2.5Gbps improve network speed if I am subscribed to a 1Gbps network?

What additional hardware will I require?
DigitaL VampirE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Master Member

You mean improve your internet speed to external sites yeah? Nah. Most servers you connect to don't even allocate 100mbps of connection to just one user. Meaning, you're fast, but they aren't.

And I just read your message clearer, you're on a 1Gbps plan, so no you will still be limited by your plan.

If you mean your own internal networking etc, yes will be faster.
Swiftbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #3

So it won't boost my speed in any way if I were to visit external sites? Then why do some newer routers with 2.5Gbps ports claim it can boost your wired Internet speed?

What if I upgrade my plan to 2Gbps? Will it make a difference?
Old 18-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #4

So it won't boost my speed in any way if I were to visit external sites? Then why do some newer routers with 2.5Gbps ports claim it can boost your wired Internet speed?

Only if you get a single 2gbps plan (non aggregated). Most plans only support a total of 2gbps but max 1gbps per port.

But you also need to get 10gbps routers and switches, and cat7 cables to support faster speeds. These dont come cheap
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

The ONT port or most router are on 1 gbps port. So your 2.5gbps nic wouldn't help much unless you have a 10Gbps (fiber plan would need a 10g nic) or 2.5gbps LAN speed at home.

Router with 2.5gbps port are quite useless now. They are design more to catch up wifi speed as some router claim to deliver "up to" 1.7gbps wifi speed. So u need a router WAN with 2.5gbps to have 1.7gbps wifi speed.

Anyway in SG we are either stuck with 1gbps, 2 gbps (1 + 1 gbps) or 10gbps (selected ISP).

01. The 2gbps plan are usually deliver via 1g + 1g over two Ports. So you still limit by 1Gbps.

02. The source server you connecting to might not have 2gbps connect for you too.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #6

Is there a way to aggregate the 2Gbps into a single port?

I think there are 2.5Gbps switches/routers coming out in the market soon?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 18-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #7

Is there a way to aggregate the 2Gbps into a single port?

I think there are 2.5Gbps switches/routers coming out in the market soon?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
No. Well, in theory, the ISP can use the 10G port and just serve 2Gbps and conneect to your 2.5G port. But the ISP are not do that. prefer to server 2x1Gbps insead.

Also note that aggregation does not really work that way, point to point is still only 1gbps.
sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Noob question: Will installing a new PCIe 2.5Gbps improve network speed if I am subscribed to a 1Gbps network?

What additional hardware will I require?
No different as the subscribed bandwidth is only 1Gbps. Most sites only allocate 100 mbps or less connection when you access them.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 18-05-2020 at 11:14 PM..
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

Only your internal network is 2.5gbps loh

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20
ohmygod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only your internal network is 2.5gbps loh

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20
Provide your router or switch all support 2.5 gbps n above....
Bumiputera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Master Member

I think with the questions you are asking, I suggest you to not bother about any of this as there will be no purpose at all (nor visible changes) to your workflow or whatever you're using your internet for.

I have to reiterate, even if your internet is 10gbps, the end server needs to support that speed for you to achieve 10gbps. And even then, if you're under a residential contract, the telcos do not guarantee you such speeds beyond their own local data centers (in other words, no you will never ever get this speed in your daily browsing or downloads etc). No server is going to do that for you on a personal basis.

Unless this is all for fun and laughter, then sure go ahead. I shouldn't stop someone from learning such things. You can read up a little more on networking.

Google up "10gbps networking" and read from there. You can look at this video too, a fun way to just understand a little more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Wp4SzdNj4
Swiftbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.