HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

4g router for simcard

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

4g router for simcard

hey all, am thinking to purchase a 4g router to use with circles.life data plan. usage wise it is for a small office (2 people), so the data of 26GB data provided by circles.life would be more than sufficient.

Any recommendations of the router? I am looking @ TP-Link MR6400 4G LTE Wi-Fi Router @ $259 for this setup. Would it be compatible?

Anyone using a similar setup for their small office/ home? 4g sim card + 4g sim card router.

thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

hey all, am thinking to purchase a 4g router to use with circles.life data plan. usage wise it is for a small office (2 people), so the data of 26GB data provided by circles.life would be more than sufficient.

Any recommendations of the router? I am looking @ TP-Link MR6400 4G LTE Wi-Fi Router @ $259 for this setup. Would it be compatible?

Anyone using a similar setup for their small office/ home? 4g sim card + 4g sim card router.

thanks.
Dlink has a few models as well. But if you ask me, honestly i have not used before a 4G sim card router. Otherwise, from the price point of view, tplink will be a better option since its cheaper..
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

The WiFi router seems to be just a SIM card reader (+ modem) inside a N300 router.

In that cause, I would recommend getting a dual-band 802.11n router (N600 or higher) that supports USB dongle to set up as internet.
Get a supported LTE 150Mbps USB dongle (recommend Huawei ones), plug in and set up.

RT-N66U + 150Mbps Huawei LTE USB dongle, both get from Carousell, can yield much lower cost. Advantage of dual-band router, with full 150Mbps capability over WiFi (2X2 or 3X3 clients), and the wider range.

lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

You can consider this

http://www.lazada.sg/huawei-e5180-4g...841.html?ff=1]

or this

http://www.lazada.sg/huawei-b315-b31...1&mp=1&rs=2599
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

Get a supported LTE 150Mbps USB dongle (recommend Huawei ones), plug in and set up.
Hi, thanks for your advice. Would such a device work with our normal sim card that we use for our mobile phone as well? Just want to be sure, scared I buy liao then end up waste money. thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, thanks for your advice. Would such a device work with our normal sim card that we use for our mobile phone as well? Just want to be sure, scared I buy liao then end up waste money. thanks!
depends. usually for huawei dongle it accepts the normal sized sim card, not the micro/nano sized one. but with the telcos issuing the all-in-one sim cards, you should have no problem unless you're using the old one.

USB Dongle works with a laptop only, and you can share the wifi with others. Whereas a 4G Router broadcasts wifi for the people, so taking into consideration of your office needs, you need to get multiple dongles for the people.

Another way is to get a wireless router and an USB dongle, but that will likely cost more than a 4G router. So do look around for more options..
Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Master Member

Would strongly advice you, either stick to your original plan with the "TP-Link MR6400 4G LTE Wi-Fi Router" SGD 228.80 at Lazada with 3 years warranty or "Huawei E5180 4G LTE Direct Sim Router Modem" SGD 121.00 with 1 year warranty as posted by sadboy in post #4.

Router + dongle are old school and maybe a decade ago they are popular with such setup.
tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

depends. usually for huawei dongle it accepts the normal sized sim card, not the micro/nano sized one. but with the telcos issuing the all-in-one sim cards, you should have no problem unless you're using the old one.

USB Dongle works with a laptop only, and you can share the wifi with others. Whereas a 4G Router broadcasts wifi for the people, so taking into consideration of your office needs, you need to get multiple dongles for the people.

Another way is to get a wireless router and an USB dongle, but that will likely cost more than a 4G router. So do look around for more options..
Normal full-sized SIM Cards. Can use the mobile subscriptions ones, no need mobile broadband subscription SIM Cards.
(In short, your Circles 4G SIM can be used too. May need SIM adapters but I think Circles uses tri-SIM too so may not need.)

Actually the cost thing depends.
Sometimes on Carousell you can get the Huawei LTE 150Mbps dongles for $50 or so, then get a new router that supports LTE USB dongle, like the ASUS RT-AC1200G+ for $100 or so.

Wide range and dual-band AC, for $150 or so.

Of course, this kind of set up needs more research on the support, as the router need to support the LTE dongle, but afaik, many Huawei LTE dongles are supported, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

I actually made some suggestions recently. As usual forumer came here to ask questions, but few bother to come back here to report back their status.

What is the size of your temp office and number of staff?

Meanwhile I assume your temp office is a 20ft (or 40ft?) container's size?

4G & WiFi
Depending on office size and number of staff, you may choose to get:
1. 4G router (~$200 to $400)
2. MiFi type Hotspot
3. A 4G HP, tablet, ipad as hotspot .....
Consider the fact that you can re-use it for future projects...

SIM card
For low-cost & small scale fast deployment, can consider:
No contract, $48/month with 26GB data, get it from Circle.Life.

This mean you can afford to use an average of 1GB data per day, which I guess be sufficient for emails, some basic web surfing, and files transfer (such as occasional CAD design/drawings, office documents, etc). If you think you might run low on data, you may want to consider their Auto-Boost.

Circle.Life is riding on M1 infrastructure. They don't have office, and also only can contact via Live Chat, emails and Roadshow.
Though I am quite confident about my suggestion, I actually wrote to circle.life before I posted the above. Their official feedback was as below.

JustDoLor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

thanks guys for all your inputs. the office is only maybe 1.5 container size, 4 staffs, so probably i will get the circles.life sim + TP-Link MR6400 4G LTE Wi-Fi Router, i think this would be the most economical and straight forward.

as currently we are using a 3g m1 dongle + a tp-link tl-mr3020. but exceed data monthly, so considering the switch.
Old 30-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #11

I hope I can piggy pack on the thread instead of creating a new one. I have similar requirements as the thread started but I would like to connect 3-4 PC via lan connection instead of wirelessly.

Does anyone know if either the TL-MR6400 or B315 be able to support Lan connections, please?

Many thanks
~Dragonite~ likes this.
dotreddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

I hope I can piggy pack on the thread instead of creating a new one. I have similar requirements as the thread started but I would like to connect 3-4 PC via lan connection instead of wirelessly.

Does anyone know if either the TL-MR6400 or B315 be able to support Lan connections, please?

Many thanks
See under specification for respective model:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-4691_TL-MR6400.html

http://m.huawei.com/enmobile/consumer/smart-home/lte-router/detail/b315-en.htm
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #13

Many thanks

both have lan port
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

Will go to the PC show to check it out ... thanks guys!
~Dragonite~ likes this.
dotreddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #15

Anyone using Huawei B618s? Not sure if the 22d or 65d is better for use in Singapore.
Compose is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.