Advice for room Wifi

warwind303

Reaction score
I have a cat 6 Ethernet point in my room for my desktop. But my Wifi signal in my room is very weak, my modem is in the living room. Should I get a router for my room? I have a laptop in my room which my wife also use to watch movies sometimes. Please advice on how to boost the signal and also if possible would want to connect the laptop direct thru the router by Ethernet. Thank in advance for advices.:s12:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many devices need Internet in the room? If only laptop, just use the Cat.6 cable connection.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Change main router to the best in the market
2. Use another router for room
3. Use home plug with wifi

stay8899

Reaction score
I have a cat 6 Ethernet point in my room for my desktop. But my Wifi signal in my room is very weak, my modem is in the living room. Should I get a router for my room? I have a laptop in my room which my wife also use to watch movies sometimes. Please advice on how to boost the signal and also if possible would want to connect the laptop direct thru the router by Ethernet. Thank in advance for advices.:s12:

1. Do you have any devices in the living room? If not, just relocate the router to your room and problem solved. Do note that wifi signal in the living room will be weak and if it's only for mobile devices, it may be acceptable.

OR

2. Get a access point (or repurpose an existing router), connect the AP to the room via the cat6 point and your desktop to the AP (assuming it has a few lan points). If not, get a switch and AP.

3 Powerline or better router are sub-optimal for your needs. Obviously, you could get a better router to replace your current and repurpose the current router as AP - again depending on the wireless coverage you need.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cut a can of coke (pepsi cannot work) into half and use it like a mircowave antenna facing the room.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.