HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #46
Master Member

Just wanted to share for those who wants to get a cheap second hand AC68U, I have just bought a Certified refurbished AC1900 (which is ac68u) from amazon us, costed $49+11 shipping, so about SGD80. Its condition is as good as brand new, and comes with 90 days warranty, and shipping took just 1 week. It does come with a TC Mobile logo, which I see as the only downside to this awesome deal.

It then takes 1-3 hrs of following online guide to convert from AC1900 firmware to AC68U, depends on your tech saviness. Steps are in the amazon items questions, it is a popular process US buyers are doing, so plenty of googles hits on it.

After 2hrs, I got it converted into a proper ASUS AC68U. Now it is happily connected to my AC88U as a AiMesh node.

Amazon price can fluctuate a bit based on whether the seller has stock, probably due to this AiMesh news, stock has been running low, although they are restocking.
i read thru, quite complicated. mind to share your steps or links where u perform it instead?
ah_cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #47

i read thru, quite complicated. mind to share your steps or links where u perform it instead?
This is definitely not for the faint hearted, if you value your time more it's advisable to just buy a second hand RT-AC68U instead and save yourself the headache.

For those wanting to try, there's a big thread on the SNB forums:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-on-the-t-mobile-tm-ac1900.43278/
DracZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #48
Arch-Supremacy Member

Paying $80 for a refurbished set with 3 months warranty only. Plus must spend 2-3 hours to flash.

A new one costs $200 with 3 years warranty. I rather buy the new one.

Or wait for more models to be supported.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #49

hwz doesnt allow me to post link. pls convert the 'dot' below manually

www dot bayareatechpros dot com/ac1900-to-ac68u/
yarmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #50
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have problems with 2 AC88u linked via wireless

The AI mesh node appears in network map and assigned an auto IP.

But it drops off the AiMesh Network.

I can't seem to telnet/SSH or web GUI to reboot the ap either

As it's above the door I need to take a chair and pen to reset before I can add back to the ai mesh router. Is there an easier way to do this?

The web GUI keeps saying it cannot connect the parent ap and won't let me proceed further after I log into the AP /AI Mesh node.
leonaheidern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #51
Master Member

As it's above the door I need to take a chair and pen to reset before I can add back to the ai mesh router. Is there an easier way to do this?

The web GUI keeps saying it cannot connect the parent ap and won't let me proceed further after I log into the AP /AI Mesh node.

looks like that's the only way so far..
Old 16-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #52
Master Member

Just wanted to share for those who wants to get a cheap second hand AC68U, I have just bought a Certified refurbished AC1900 (which is ac68u) from amazon us, costed $49+11 shipping, so about SGD80. Its condition is as good as brand new, and comes with 90 days warranty, and shipping took just 1 week. It does come with a TC Mobile logo, which I see as the only downside to this awesome deal.

It then takes 1-3 hrs of following online guide to convert from AC1900 firmware to AC68U, depends on your tech saviness. Steps are in the amazon items questions, it is a popular process US buyers are doing, so plenty of googles hits on it.

After 2hrs, I got it converted into a proper ASUS AC68U. Now it is happily connected to my AC88U as a AiMesh node.

Amazon price can fluctuate a bit based on whether the seller has stock, probably due to this AiMesh news, stock has been running low, although they are restocking.
saw on amazon now price increase to $59. and there is 2 seller.. 1 is asus, the other is T-mobile. funny is that T-mobile seller dun have their logo on the router where asus seller got. lol
Old 16-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #53

Did you perform a full factory reset for both routers after flashing the new firmware?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
DracZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #54
Arch-Supremacy Member

Did you perform a full factory reset for both routers after flashing the new firmware?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fa...t-reset.22822/
I might have done so in between troubleshooting over two days.
it was multiple reset of firmware via the red button or initialize button but not clearing nvram via telnet.

Mine just keeps dropping. Could be the 5ghz signal is weak. The 2.4ghz signal on repeater mode is mode stable.
Old 16-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #55
Arch-Supremacy Member

looks like that's the only way so far..
eh then i think until the cable is fixed I will be sticking to repeater on the 2.4ghz mode or media bridge mode.

At least I have a gui to reset.
Old 18-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #56
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone know how to test if the changing between nodes in the mesh is working? Any apps or what?
stam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #57
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone know how to test if the changing between nodes in the mesh is working? Any apps or what?
Easiest way is just walk to where you previously couldn't get any signal. If the signal is now fantastic, means it's working loh
xonix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #58
Arch-Supremacy Member

Easiest way is just walk to where you previously couldn't get any signal. If the signal is now fantastic, means it's working loh
Yes, the signal is better, but sometimes it seems there is a disconnection(although no drop
Is wifi signal) rather than seamless transfer to another node
stam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #59
Arch-Supremacy Member

This firmware is working better for me 3.0.0.4.384_20287

I am using pure wireless because the ethernet cable is spoilt.

5 ghz repeating is holding up even after 1 days 12 hours 3 minute(s) 18 seconds.

i used to only get half an hr on ai mesh on the 10007 firmware.

Still cannot access then gui cause i would be redirected away if i did that. still cannot assign a static ip on the second aimesh ap.

Link speed with door closed is 150Mbps at -57 dpi at the furthest point away from the second aimesh point
Old 28-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #60

Any chance for ac66u (non USB) to get the imesh firmware? Ac66u thou is old model but really solid in terms of firmware stability
efini81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.