HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #106

Can the AiMesh be setup behind Singtel ONR?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #107
Arch-Supremacy Member

i was on Aimesh previously. But the roaming doesnt seem to be promising. Playing game or watching videos on my phone while roaming from one router to another, either the game got kicked out or the video stuck at the loading state. Anyone facing the same issue? or the seamless roaming works perfectly fine? please do share your experience.

PS my setup was AC88U (main) and AC68U (node). Wired backhaul. :/
Same issue on my side, when from 1 router to another will experience the breaking off.

Anyone with other types of mesh can verify if it’s really seamless?
stam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #108
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have a ASUS RT-AC88U. which asus model would u guys recommend to add on as Aimesh
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #109

i have a ASUS RT-AC88U. which asus model would u guys recommend to add on as Aimesh
Probably wait for the Aimesh firmware to be stable first... The current latest firmware isn't stable... The node will keep on going offline and even my 4th lan port is not working. I just reset the node and test it out as a normal router. The lan port is working again...
osmond19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #110

I couldnt understand why the best router must be the main.
I thought the node needs to handle backhaul. Therefore, by giving the node a tri-band router, we can have 5G for transmit and 5G for backhaul.
rapcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #111
Arch-Supremacy Member

I couldnt understand why the best router must be the main.
I thought the node needs to handle backhaul. Therefore, by giving the node a tri-band router, we can have 5G for transmit and 5G for backhaul.
Hmmm... I thought it's the other way round ? By having a dedicated wireless band from the main router (source), you provide the node with its own pipeline rather than sharing with other devices.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #112

Hmmm... I thought it's the other way round ? By having a dedicated wireless band from the main router (source), you provide the node with its own pipeline rather than sharing with other devices.
It makes sense for the router to be the most powerful one as it is the only path to process the traffic... The node job is just to pass the traffic over to the client and waiting for instructions and reply to the router?
Old 18-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #113

After days of testing, my Aimesh is working strangely. I'm using wireless backhaul and my node is working fine if I set my 2.4ghz and 5ghz as 40mhz bandwidth and must be channel 44 for 5ghz. It will still occasionally goes offline but will also auto recover without reboot the node.

I did try to change to channel 40 but the node died within minutes and won't recover till rebooting the node. And soon the node will die again...

So far, from snbforums, Aimesh is really very unstable aka like beta version... Merlin from Asus also claiming that the team is trying to fix the stability issues as well as when Mac filter is turning on issues.
Old 19-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #114
Supremacy Member

After days of testing, my Aimesh is working strangely. I'm using wireless backhaul and my node is working fine if I set my 2.4ghz and 5ghz as 40mhz bandwidth and must be channel 44 for 5ghz. It will still occasionally goes offline but will also auto recover without reboot the node.

I did try to change to channel 40 but the node died within minutes and won't recover till rebooting the node. And soon the node will die again...

So far, from snbforums, Aimesh is really very unstable aka like beta version... Merlin from Asus also claiming that the team is trying to fix the stability issues as well as when Mac filter is turning on issues.
Are u maintaining separate ssid?

So far mine has been good (fingers crossed) since early Feb with 2 units of AC5300. Single SSID, basically I let Asus decides what's best cuz I did meet multiple issues when I tried to manage the ssid/channels and bandwidth. Issues like the backhaul links on 2.4ghz instead of 5 and my devices randomly disconnects.

Running solid and stable since then, roams freely around my home. Compared to like a full fledged mesh linksys velop it's still lacks behind the customisation but I think perf wise + more lan ports on the asus routers makes life simpler
kero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #115

Are u maintaining separate ssid?

So far mine has been good (fingers crossed) since early Feb with 2 units of AC5300. Single SSID, basically I let Asus decides what's best cuz I did meet multiple issues when I tried to manage the ssid/channels and bandwidth. Issues like the backhaul links on 2.4ghz instead of 5 and my devices randomly disconnects.

Running solid and stable since then, roams freely around my home. Compared to like a full fledged mesh linksys velop it's still lacks behind the customisation but I think perf wise + more lan ports on the asus routers makes life simpler
Yup I hv 2 different ssid for 2.4 and 5g. The strange thing is that currently, the node will still go offline in every 2hrs++ to 4hrs++ which I can see from the wireless log but it will come back online again in few minutes time without rebooting.

Maybe I will try to one single ssid to monitor. How do u choose 2.4 or 5g as backhaul? From the wireless log, I can see that the router n the node are connected on both 2.4 and 5g based on the Mac address.
Old 21-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #116

Dun seems to be 100% seamless and u can see your WiFi disconnect and connect back. At least u dun hv to do it manually. Is there any mesh that 100% seamless? Dun think so right?
Did you manage to resolve ?
Someone mentioned the internet still unstable even wired the asus router ? i.e link AC68 to AC88... Now i am thinking if i should just get the mesh system instead.
infernolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #117

Did you manage to resolve ?
Someone mentioned the internet still unstable even wired the asus router ? i.e link AC68 to AC88... Now i am thinking if i should just get the mesh system instead.
I guess have to wait for the stable firmware from Asus. From SNB forum which the Asus developers are there too saying they are working on the stability issue with Aimesh now.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/official-release-aimesh-firmware-v3-0-0-4-384-20308-for-all-supported-products.44375/page-31
Old 21-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #118
Arch-Supremacy Member

I must be super luck cos I have none these "unstable" issues

RT-AC5300 ( 3 SSID, default settings ) - aimesh - RT-AC68U ( 2 SSID )
Old 26-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #119

Yup I hv 2 different ssid for 2.4 and 5g. The strange thing is that currently, the node will still go offline in every 2hrs++ to 4hrs++ which I can see from the wireless log but it will come back online again in few minutes time without rebooting.

Maybe I will try to one single ssid to monitor. How do u choose 2.4 or 5g as backhaul? From the wireless log, I can see that the router n the node are connected on both 2.4 and 5g based on the Mac address.
We can set the wireless backhaul to be on 2.4 or 5?
rescapind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #120

We can set the wireless backhaul to be on 2.4 or 5?
Cannot, it is automated by the router. Since I have 2 separated SSIDs and from the wireless log, I can see that both 2.4 and 5g are connected to the main router/ node.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.