HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus N56U Singtel Presets

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #91
Supremacy Member

Hi, is there anyway i can connect my n56u to the ONT directly and have one miotv STB and another STB on the 2nd floor via homeplug? read something by maylyn about a new beta firmware which frees 2 ports for miotv.
You can try using padavan firmware with custom VLAN settings (VLAN ID 20, PRIO 4 for LAN ports 3 and 4) to get what you want. No need to wait for the official Asus firmware.
newkidontheblock likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #92
Supremacy Member

can someone please help me with my ASUS N66 settings in the link below?
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...u-4161430.html

i'm trying to connect Singtel ONT -> Cisco 2008t switch -> ASUS N66

the miotv boxes connected directly to the switch work but i'm unable to get the internet via the N66 to work.

Do i have to change any additional settings in the N66 other than the Switch instructions given in this post ->
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...4-post271.html

Thanks!!
ac3knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #93

Someone can advise me how to improve wireless speed for rt n56u? I faced low download speed after upgrading stock firmware Version 1.0.1.8n to latest Version 3.0.0.4.342. 2.4gz from ~46 Mbps to ~ 20Mbps, 5gz from 76Mbps to 46Mbps. I switched back to old stock firmware but wireless issues was still there. Wire connection was ok 100Mbps+ my ISP is Singtel and mio voice was tagged to ont, last thing, how to get internet for padavan firmware? I try to reboot ont and router, still can't get internet. No option to select ISP. So I select LAN 4 for iptv. ��
SayarLinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #94

Having some issue with 3.0.0.4.342 as well... Speed is pretty unstable, keep changing like a rollercoaster. Currently using Singtel-Mio ISP profile with MioVoice on port 3 and MioTV on port 4. Can any guru provide some tips on stabilizing and improving the internet speed please?
Yakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #95
Master Member

Having some issue with 3.0.0.4.342 as well... Speed is pretty unstable, keep changing like a rollercoaster. Currently using Singtel-Mio ISP profile with MioVoice on port 3 and MioTV on port 4. Can any guru provide some tips on stabilizing and improving the internet speed please?
Care to provide more details in regards in why speed is pretty unstable?

1). What SingTel Fiber plan are you on?
2). Are you on wired or WiFi ~ (2.4GHz/5GHz)? if WiFi, please state where is your router placement, obstructions, WiFi settings etc?
3). What kind of scenarios are you observing that result speed is unstable?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #96

Care to provide more details in regards in why speed is pretty unstable?

1). What SingTel Fiber plan are you on?
2). Are you on wired or WiFi ~ (2.4GHz/5GHz)? if WiFi, please state where is your router placement, obstructions, WiFi settings etc?
3). What kind of scenarios are you observing that result speed is unstable?
@1: Can't really remember the name, I think it's explore home, with 50Mbps local download speed and 15Mbps international download speed.

@2: All of them. My desktop is wired to the router and my brother's desktop/laptop and all other mobile devices connected by WiFi on both bandwidth. Tried disabling the 5GHz bandwidth before but performance didn't improve for the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Router placed right next to the ONT which is directly on the diagonal opposite end of the house away from my room. Performance was great when I just finished set-up the router (and for a short period of time after I upgrade the firmware), but performance since to degrade over time. Maybe I should try rebooting the router?

@3: Can't really pinpoint the cause yet, but recently the performance degraded to the point that I can tell a difference even without running speedtest.net. Both speedtest.net & Wifi Analyzer shows a jagged sawtooth waveform signal for both bandwidth.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #97
Master Member

@1: Can't really remember the name, I think it's explore home, with 50Mbps local download speed and 15Mbps international download speed.

@2: All of them. My desktop is wired to the router and my brother's desktop/laptop and all other mobile devices connected by WiFi on both bandwidth. Tried disabling the 5GHz bandwidth before but performance didn't improve for the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Router placed right next to the ONT which is directly on the diagonal opposite end of the house away from my room. Performance was great when I just finished set-up the router (and for a short period of time after I upgrade the firmware), but performance since to degrade over time. Maybe I should try rebooting the router?

@3: Can't really pinpoint the cause yet, but recently the performance degraded to the point that I can tell a difference even without running speedtest.net. Both speedtest.net & Wifi Analyzer shows a jagged sawtooth waveform signal for both bandwidth.
Can you provide me a set of local speedtest results (wired) to SingTel speedtest server with your MIO setup box switch on and off? so i can further eliminate the possible causes

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #98

Can you provide me a set of local speedtest results (wired) to SingTel speedtest server with your MIO setup box switch on and off? so i can further eliminate the possible causes

Thanks
Just tried the local speed test to SingTel server with MIO setup box still on. The speed were as advertised; 50Mbps D/L & 25 Mbps U/L. Run the test 3 times and it produced similar results. Speedtest.net still show crappy roller coaster speeds between 15~35Mbps D/L speed. Weird thing is the U/L speed managed to float around ~20Mbps

Will run a couple more test over the next few hours with the setup box on and off then report back here.
By the way does the MIO setup box matter much since I'm routing the network through RT-N56U?
My current setup looks like this:

ONT
|
RT-N56U
|-----> LAN Port 1 -----> My Desktop
|-----> LAN Port 2 -----> (Not Connected)
|-----> LAN Port 3 -----> MioTV
|-----> LAN Port 4 -----> SingTel 2Wire Router -----> Mio Voice
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #99
Master Member

Just tried the local speed test to SingTel server with MIO setup box still on. The speed were as advertised; 50Mbps D/L & 25 Mbps U/L. Run the test 3 times and it produced similar results. Speedtest.net still show crappy roller coaster speeds between 15~35Mbps D/L speed. Weird thing is the U/L speed managed to float around ~20Mbps

Will run a couple more test over the next few hours with the setup box on and off then report back here.
By the way does the MIO setup box matter much since I'm routing the network through RT-N56U?
My current setup looks like this:

ONT
|
RT-N56U
|-----> LAN Port 1 -----> My Desktop
|-----> LAN Port 2 -----> (Not Connected)
|-----> LAN Port 3 -----> MioTV
|-----> LAN Port 4 -----> SingTel 2Wire Router -----> Mio Voice
Hmm.... Isn't SingTel MIO VLAN preset profiles as follows?

ONT
|
RT-N56U
|-----> LAN Port 1 -----> Internet
|-----> LAN Port 2 -----> Internet
|-----> LAN Port 3 -----> SingTel 2Wire/Pace -----> Voice
|-----> LAN Port 4 -----> MIO TV STB

I'm pleasantly surprised that you are still able to use your ASUS RT-N56U for your MIO Voice and MIO TV, you sure your setup is correct?

Can you hook up in this manner and feedback accordingly?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #100

I'm afraid I made an embarrassing mistake. My setup is the same as what you mentioned instead. My memory has been failing me lately..

*Update*
Due to Comodo DNS server failing to respond yesterday I tried 2 other DNS server. After I changed to Norton DNS, the local SingTel Speed Test hover between 42Mbps~52Mbps for D/L speed and for Google DNS it maintain at ~52Mbps. Regardless of what I do the U/L speed ALWAYS stays ~25Mbps though. Even when I'm still using Comodo DNS and even on Speedtest.net, which is something I found really strange..

Last edited by Yakumo; 13-04-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Old 15-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #101

Recently I applied for singtel 100mbps fibre plan. Using RT-N56U with version 3.0.0.4.342. Whenever I do a Singtel speedtest, speed is fine. When I try to do a speedtest on speedtest.net, sometimes cant even load the webpage properly. When I do manage to carry out the test, i get like 20 down 10 up.

When I swapped back to my pace, it goes up to 40down 20 up. But singtel speedtest is about 101 down 55up. Probably having issues with firmware 3.0.0.4.342 or there is something just wrong with singtel backend.

I noticed that whenever i do an extended ping, there is significant packet loss. This didnt occur when I used my pace.

BTW, i'm from bishan area. Might be isolated to a few areas if its singtel issue.
powervault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #102

Recently I applied for singtel 100mbps fibre plan. Using RT-N56U with version 3.0.0.4.342. Whenever I do a Singtel speedtest, speed is fine. When I try to do a speedtest on speedtest.net, sometimes cant even load the webpage properly. When I do manage to carry out the test, i get like 20 down 10 up.

When I swapped back to my pace, it goes up to 40down 20 up. But singtel speedtest is about 101 down 55up. Probably having issues with firmware 3.0.0.4.342 or there is something just wrong with singtel backend.

I noticed that whenever i do an extended ping, there is significant packet loss. This didnt occur when I used my pace.

BTW, i'm from bishan area. Might be isolated to a few areas if its singtel issue.
I have managed to pinpoint the cause of my problem. It's the DNS server that's causing the issue. It appears that my recent change to Comodo/Norton DNS is what causes the performance impact. Things went smoothly after I changed back to Google Open DNS

Guess I must choose between security and performance.. Well a few more experiments should show the way. The interesting thing I had noticed is that after changing to Google DNS, my D/L speed went back to 50Mbps but my U/L speed drop a little to 22Mbps.. what gives?

Anyway you should give Google DNS a try too as well, just follow the instructions on this link:
Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7
Old 15-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #103
Master Member

I have managed to pinpoint the cause of my problem. It's the DNS server that's causing the issue. It appears that my recent change to Comodo/Norton DNS is what causes the performance impact. Things went smoothly after I changed back to Google Open DNS

Guess I must choose between security and performance.. Well a few more experiments should show the way. The interesting thing I had noticed is that after changing to Google DNS, my D/L speed went back to 50Mbps but my U/L speed drop a little to 22Mbps.. what gives?

Anyway you should give Google DNS a try too as well, just follow the instructions on this link:
Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7
Question is why isn't you are using SingNet DNS?
Old 15-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #104

I changed to Google DNS even before switching to fibre since it provide faster speed, then Norton/Comodo for security purpose. Will test the speed of SingNet DNS at a later time
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #105

After Maintenance

I'm currently using ASUS N56U with padavan firmware 3.0.3.5-055. Using fibre 200mbps plan. I've had no problems until the maintenance by Singtel a few days ago. The connection became horribly slow. 1-3 mbps download with 'error' on upload on direct connection.

I've found a way to solve this by first connecting it into the standard black 2wire router, wait for the 'service' light to come on, then switch it back to the ASUS router. However, I need to do this every time I restart the connection. Have anyone else experienced this? Need some help.
WiLsOnLiAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.