HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus XT8 - slow speed

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Asus XT8 - slow speed

Dear all,

I've just gotten the Asus XT8 with VQ to replace my Portal router as there are certain deadspots which are impossible with the portal.

Hooked up everything and turned on 5ghz-2 wireless. The thing is i've done speedtest on both 5ghz-1 and 2 and both turned up less than 100mbps download which is very disappointing. Previously, my Portal's speedtest is never less than 250mbps.

Can some with these experiences advise on what setting i did wrongly or didn't setup correctly?

Thanks alot in advance.
juzzmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

Dear all,

I've just gotten the Asus XT8 with VQ to replace my Portal router as there are certain deadspots which are impossible with the portal.

Hooked up everything and turned on 5ghz-2 wireless. The thing is i've done speedtest on both 5ghz-1 and 2 and both turned up less than 100mbps download which is very disappointing. Previously, my Portal's speedtest is never less than 250mbps.

Can some with these experiences advise on what setting i did wrongly or didn't setup correctly?

Thanks alot in advance.

1) Check if its an issue with the upstream connectivity or configuration on the ONT/ONR. Directly connect (wired) to VQ's ONT/ONR first. See if you can get speeds close to 1000. You should be able to get at least 800.
2) If 1 passes, check your Asus Router. Is the wired connectivity configured as 1000 full duplex.
3) If 2 passes, maybe change the cables? Ensure it is cat 6 and above.
4) Wireless settings like bandwidth, channels, etc could also affect the bandwidth speeds.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

Dear all,

Thanks alot in advance.
Faulty ethernet cable?
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Xt8 #1(the one connected to vq modem ), what's the wired and WiFi speed here ? Turn off #2 before testing.

What's the backhaul between the xt8 units? Wired or WiFi ? How far apart and obstacles ?
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

use the speedtest app found in microsft store
consigliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

I read somebody post before here.

Some device that is not AX ready may face slow speed.

Suggest to kept this turnoff for testing else below

Asus recommend driver update
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037422/
Old 30-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Hi, firstly, thanks for your reply.

I tried wired connection from zhone to laptop, max speed not more than 90mbps on a cat 7 cable. Changed to another cable (cat 6), same - speed not more than 90mbps.

My node 2 is wireless connection to node 1. The rest of my devices are all connected wirelessly. Beside my iPhone 11 pro, the rest are all wifi 5 only.

Called VQ, and the check their end and said problem might be my zphone modem. Will arrange to replace.

Can I ask what other settings should I apply on my XT8 for optimal wifi speed once the modem is replaced?

Thanks again

1) Check if its an issue with the upstream connectivity or configuration on the ONT/ONR. Directly connect (wired) to VQ's ONT/ONR first. See if you can get speeds close to 1000. You should be able to get at least 800.
2) If 1 passes, check your Asus Router. Is the wired connectivity configured as 1000 full duplex.
3) If 2 passes, maybe change the cables? Ensure it is cat 6 and above.
4) Wireless settings like bandwidth, channels, etc could also affect the bandwidth speeds.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

Can I ask what is wireless backhaul? I understand that the 5ghz-2 is a dedicated backhaul but I disabled it and set another SSID while setting region to US to make use of the 160mhz.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Hi, firstly, thanks for your reply.

I tried wired connection from zhone to laptop, max speed not more than 90mbps on a cat 7 cable. Changed to another cable (cat 6), same - speed not more than 90mbps.

My node 2 is wireless connection to node 1. The rest of my devices are all connected wirelessly. Beside my iPhone 11 pro, the rest are all wifi 5 only.

Called VQ, and the check their end and said problem might be my zphone modem. Will arrange to replace.

Can I ask what other settings should I apply on my XT8 for optimal wifi speed once the modem is replaced?

Thanks again
So you have zoomed down the issue to your Zhone modem. Wait for the replacement and try out again.

No use to recommend the optimal setting now if the speed is good after the replacement.

Did you try to reboot the Zhone modem and test again?
Old 30-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #10

Yes I did. But after the reboot, now I can't get the 5hgz-2 up. It kept showing connected but no internet connection.

So you have zoomed down the issue to your Zhone modem. Wait for the replacement and try out again.

No use to recommend the optimal setting now if the speed is good after the replacement.

Did you try to reboot the Zhone modem and test again?
Old 30-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Since modem identifed as the problem, don't mess with the XT8 settings further. No point until modem is replaced.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #12

Hi guys, thanks for your help me narrowing down my issue to be a modem problem.

VQ came and changed my modem and now my wireless connection speed from XT8 is hovering at around 300ish mbps. If connected directed to modem, i got about 950mbps.

I would now like to ask about my XT8 setup. Currently, i used the 5ghz-2 as 3rd wireless. But i noticed that when i do a wireless speedtest, the speed is not as impressive as the first 5ghz-1. Is there a possibility that my setup for 5ghz-2 is wrong? Or should i just leave that off?

Please advise.

TIA
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

I got similar problem have you check whether you are connecting on 160 MHz ?
consigliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #14

Can I ask what is wireless backhaul? I understand that the 5ghz-2 is a dedicated backhaul but I disabled it and set another SSID while setting region to US to make use of the 160mhz.
How to set region ?
clyp1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #15

I changed the region to US, afterwhich you'll be able to set 160mhz.

The thing is whether it's advisable as my internet connection speed for 5mhz-2 is slower than 5mhz-1.

Anyone knows if there's a particular setting which I did wrong?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.