b/g/n vs ac

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
hi all,

i came across a pretty decent desktop selling for $899 with the following specs:

1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
i5-8400
8GB RAM
UHD intel 630

the only drawback, imo, is that the wireless network is b/g/n rather than the latest ac version.

is there any implication for this? or is it alright to go for b/g/n?

and also, is it possible to use adaptor or a router to "upgrade" the b/g/n to ac?

thanks in advance!

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
The implication is with such legacy wireless network adapter, do not expect good speed. Basic surfing and youtube stream up to 1080p is still ok.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT

kycpokemon

Reaction score
hi all,

i came across a pretty decent desktop selling for $899 with the following specs:

1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
i5-8400
8GB RAM
UHD intel 630

the only drawback, imo, is that the wireless network is b/g/n rather than the latest ac version.

is there any implication for this? or is it alright to go for b/g/n?

and also, is it possible to use adaptor or a router to "upgrade" the b/g/n to ac?

thanks in advance!
You can get a USB adapter.
Just search on Google for "Wireless AC WiFi adapter"

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
I have this TPlink Wireless Adaptor AC1200, connect full speed to TPLink AC1900 router at max 897mbps, very smooth.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
I have this TPlink Wireless Adaptor AC1200, connect full speed to TPLink AC1900 router at max 897mbps, very smooth.

Would i be able to use an AC adapter without a router? considering the costs of a router i’m not sure if i should invest in one

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would i be able to use an AC adapter without a router? considering the costs of a router i’m not sure if i should invest in one

This wireless ac adapter is an additional mobile device to receive wireless signal from the router.
It is just an enhanced device for to either add-on or improve your computer wireless signal by using the USB port.
Take note this still require a router and the location between router & computer do play a role in the wireless signal.

Usually this wireless ac adapter is low cost as compare to router or mesh.

But of course you can get a 2nd router to act as an access point for use to connect wired or wireless to computer, as an option instead.
Again if there is no wired connection from the main router, it is still rely on wireless signal.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
No router how you connect to wifi at home?

This wireless ac adapter is an additional mobile device to receive wireless signal from the router.
It is just an enhanced device for to either add-on or improve your computer wireless signal by using the USB port.
Take note this still require a router and the location between router & computer do play a role in the wireless signal.

Usually this wireless ac adapter is low cost as compare to router or mesh.

But of course you can get a 2nd router to act as an access point for use to connect wired or wireless to computer, as an option instead.
Again if there is no wired connection from the main router, it is still rely on wireless signal.

owow thanks guys i never knew the singtel thing at home is a router i thought it's just a modem

so if the wireless network card in my pc only supports b/g/n, i can use an AC adapter to enjoy the speed of 802.11ac?

my singtel fibre broadband is 1GBps, if it is of any assistance

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
You have not answered elimmel question

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
owow thanks guys i never knew the singtel thing at home is a router i thought it's just a modem

so if the wireless network card in my pc only supports b/g/n, i can use an AC adapter to enjoy the speed of 802.11ac?

Yes you still able to use a wireless ac adapter USB type and ensure the setup is done correctly.

Are you using singtel issue router, which may not be able to get much wireless connection speed, depend.
This also depend on the location of the router and the computer for any obstacle in-between.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score

I dun have the specification of your router.
If you want to get wifi ac, your router need to be wifi ac.
As mentioned by one of the guys, there is limitation in using a usb wifi adapter.

If you want to be sure, I suggest you perform a speedtest with your PC using its internal wifi card.
Borrow a usb ac wifi adapter from your friend, plug into your PC and conduct the speed test to compare the result.

The internal wifi card may perform better than your usb wifi adapter.
If you are not sure, it is better that you get some one who is well versed with PC stuff to assist you.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Buy a AC wireless card. I got it cheap from Amazon. Make sure that it doesn't void warranty - ask oem or whoever service your warranty whether it is ok.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS. U can try this way to get them to give u a PC with a wifi AC that can do your DOTA 2 at the cost 1k max. Problem solved for u ;)

Last edited:

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
I dun have the specification of your router.
If you want to get wifi ac, your router need to be wifi ac.
As mentioned by one of the guys, there is limitation in using a usb wifi adapter.

If you want to be sure, I suggest you perform a speedtest with your PC using its internal wifi card.
Borrow a usb ac wifi adapter from your friend, plug into your PC and conduct the speed test to compare the result.

The internal wifi card may perform better than your usb wifi adapter.
If you are not sure, it is better that you get some one who is well versed with PC stuff to assist you.

hi there, i've checked my singtel router. it's singtel gigabit router ac elite (which i think is AC1900)

anyone has any recommendation on nano usb ac wifi adapter?

im looking at this https://www.qoo10.sg/item/FREE-1-YE...UAL-BAND-WIRELESS/408209289?banner_no=1305330

or otherwise Asus USB AC-53 Nano (?)

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
hi there, i've checked my singtel router. it's singtel gigabit router ac elite (which i think is AC1900)

im looking at this https://www.qoo10.sg/item/FREE-1-YE...UAL-BAND-WIRELESS/408209289?banner_no=1305330

My suggestion is for you to buy an adapter from established brand so that you can find the drivers from the official web site.
No confidence in some tiong brand.
As mentioned, dun expect super fast speed if you are using usb wifi adapter.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Suggest you to reconsider and take your time as one step by step.

Firstly not sure of the specs on the computer you are eyeing.
With the specs indicated it is then be better able to advice you further.

Next it the location between your router and the placement of the computer.
If there are obstacles and distance, then the possibility of using 5 GHz is none as it will be beyond.

Also the computer may have a better specs than this one..
And you can consider AFTER you have the computer and know what connection speed it able to have.
Finally take note that router provided are usually quite standard, including on wireless coverage &or signal.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
Suggest you to reconsider and take your time as one step by step.

Firstly not sure of the specs on the computer you are eyeing.
With the specs indicated it is then be better able to advice you further.

Next it the location between your router and the placement of the computer.
If there are obstacles and distance, then the possibility of using 5 GHz is none as it will be beyond.

Also the computer may have a better specs than this one..
And you can consider AFTER you have the computer and know what connection speed it able to have.
Finally take note that router provided are usually quite standard, including on wireless coverage &or signal.

based on http://www.speedtest.com.sg/

my upload and download speed is 1.5Mbps............

i think i do need a router (altho i prefer a nano one for aesthetic purposes)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
based on http://www.speedtest.com.sg/

my upload and download speed is 1.5Mbps............

i think i do need a router (altho i prefer a nano one for aesthetic purposes)

This speedtest is a bit useless as it is very low in my test result even on wired connection.

Use the ISP speed-portal or other as > speedtest.net and select your ISP server.

A router and that nano (USB wireless adapter) are 2 different products.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.