best router under $200?

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, any recommendation for best router under $200?
using myrepublic 300mb now, most probably switch to singtel 6 months later.

in hdb 5 rm house. router will be in living room.

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, any recommendation for best router under $200?
using myrepublic 300mb now, most probably switch to singtel 6 months later.

in hdb 5 rm house. router will be in living room.
by default they will give the ac1900 router. then you sign up wi-fi mesh. woohoo coverage everywhere in the house.

Sir_Knn

Reaction score
Yep.. By default singtel will give a router.. either the Aztech 7009 or their own singtel branded AC1900 router when u sign up.

Another brand you can consider (if u prefer to use your own router) with VLan tagging would be the Linksys EA6900 (AC1900) or the EA6350 (AC1200)... Both should be below or around $200 at challenger.

TechVodoo

Reaction score
I vote for D-Link DIR-880L, it's an AC1900 router. Surprised it went under $200 actually for the quality.

Challenger online store and retail store both got sell.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is mesh really so effective, or some sublime message in the above :D

Effective in expanding coverage with seamless handover from one node to another lor.. speed is also acceptable but definitely cannot compare to high end router wireless performance.

stanlee2008

Reaction score
Effective in expanding coverage with seamless handover from one node to another lor.. speed is also acceptable but definitely cannot compare to high end router wireless performance.

just to compare can these high end router wireless performance go up to 3rd floor of house ?
if so, can pl share e.g.s of these routers that can do the job without assistance , and means replace the singtel ac1900 from the ont ?
thnks for the info.

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
is mesh really so effective, or some sublime message in the above :D
that's according to feedback from people I know whom've tried out the service.

just sharing what i know. :)

up to individual to decide whether they wan to sign up for the wi-fi mesh service not.

i am using 1Gbps Fibre Home, with Nighthawk X6. b4 that was using 7009. 7009 was decent, but X6 is better. but because X6 is third party, higher-end model, so performance obviously better.

me stay two-storey, X6 seems sufficient for me. for those in bigger homes, Wi-Fi mesh seems like a good solution to poor Wi-Fi connectivity in "dead zones".

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to compare can these high end router wireless performance go up to 3rd floor of house ?
if so, can pl share e.g.s of these routers that can do the job without assistance , and means replace the singtel ac1900 from the ont ?
thnks for the info.

no one wireless router can replace ac1900 and cover your 3 storeys house. if you can find one model that can do that, you let me know ok?

high end wireless routers doesn't mean their coverage is further than middle or lower range wireless routers. For your 3-storeys house, you need at least 2 wireless routers (one in wireless routing mode another in access point mode) to adequately cover the areas, which i assumed your house is not those villa type.

I have a friend staying at phoenix road, he has one singtel ac1900 installed at the living area which is ground floor, together with the ONT placement. Then he installed a patch panel to house the various ethernet ports from around the house. LAN devices aside, he installed 3 enterprise-grade access points at the dining area, 2nd floor and 3rd floor areas. Now he is satisfied with the wireless coverage and the enterprise grade roaming assistance.

So the moral of the story, even if you install the asus ac5300 or asus ac88u (both are highest end routers in consumers' networking industry), also cannot guarantee good wifi up at 3rd floor. Like what swgj86 mentioned, wifi mesh is one option. i myself tried the mesh before, and i think its pretty decent for normal usage. if you intend to expect the mesh to perform like some enterprise grade nodes, then i'm sorry its not gonna carry that level of features.

I took my time to write u a long post hor, so pls take in some consideration. Not the singtel ac1900 router kns, its your house too big. :D:D

fleas1

Reaction score
a good analogy for renfred89 post is; imagine the routers are light sources and you need light to cover your house rooms and maybe abit outside.

Wifi has problem with walls but can at times go through them(if they are thin enough) or bounce around them.

Of course some router have better strength than other but they still can't go through a bunch of concrete walls.

Take this image as an example:
damping.gif

Thinking of wifi signal as light, placing in different places you can see significant difference in signal.

Like this pic where the wifi source is more centralised:
wifi-apartment.gif

If your house is big, u need a few of them. There are exceptions like, your house walls are hallow/glass or almost non-existent.

If you have 3 floors, you most likely need at least 2 wifi points(access points).

good luck!

Last edited:

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I vote for D-Link DIR-880L, it's an AC1900 router. Surprised it went under $200 actually for the quality.

Challenger online store and retail store both got sell.

this 1 is $199... still within budget...

btw, this 1 got singtel profile?
i on myrepublic, just in case i switch to singtel, i need a router with the singtel profile. i understand the asus ac66 got.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.