HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)?

Like Tree558Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #151

i tried PIA, can cancel within 7days, but rmb to do so in ur 4th day bcos the process is very slow with their CSO. i managed to get my refund.
no problems with them, i cancelled due to the lack of servers to more location.
i was just trying speeds
So what speeds you were getting? On which ISP? How did you measure the speed (speedtest is not really a good measurement tool for VPN).
newkidontheblock likes this.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #152

Hmm, thats interesting. I wonder how the AC66U or even AC56U with dual core CPU will fare since you mentioned Router CPU is the bottle neck.

Thanks for sharing..
I bought AC56U but I am struggling to install Astrill applet properly. I followed their manual on how to do it on Merlin firmware, tried both via web GUI and telnet and it fails to install. I have a trial account with Astrill, could this be a reason? On PC I have all modes including Stealth VPN available for trial period, so I see no reason why Apllet would not install.

Anyone had similar issues?
Old 27-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #153
Arch-Supremacy Member

is Strongvpn faster than Astrill?
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #154

socks proxies cannot be used on SmartTV and media players so you're stuck with watching on a computer or phone/tablet.
redsocks - transparent socks redirector
zoneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #155

is Strongvpn faster than Astrill?
Not sure about StrongVPN but for Astrill, these are speed I'm getting for US & Local server.

oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #156

As I am on trial I don't have access to Singapore servers. What is Singapore (USA) server to be exact? Does it unblock US geo-restrictied services?
Old 27-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #157

i use boxpn vpn provider ,boxpn singapore server can watch hulu plus and netflix speed 45mbps you can try and very cheap .
I'm puzzled, how are you able to watch hulu plus connecting to boxpn singapore server?
luckyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #158

As I am on trial I don't have access to Singapore servers. What is Singapore (USA) server to be exact? Does it unblock US geo-restrictied services?

Yes i'm interested to know as well.

Just to update, i tried another provider, this time is IBVPN. Their agent was very helpful, and they have a trial. Unfortunately i couldn't get any of their servers to stream at high quality on my amazon instant video test. I got the lowest setting on auto for all the usa servers. Ironically i ran a few speedtests from their usa servers with verizon speedtest page and actually got average 3-8mbps speed, but i just couldn't get this speed when streaming amazon instant. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 28-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #159

for me, im using hidemyass , speed wise it is decent. But for me it is the most value for money. I use it mainly to watch netflix, amazon instant and also access online shopping in US.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #160

I'm puzzled, how are you able to watch hulu plus connecting to boxpn singapore server?
Already change to astril VPN
outer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #161
Supremacy Member

There is no point in using this when there is more config to do as compared to setting up a VPN
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #162

Yes i'm interested to know as well.

Just to update, i tried another provider, this time is IBVPN. Their agent was very helpful, and they have a trial. Unfortunately i couldn't get any of their servers to stream at high quality on my amazon instant video test. I got the lowest setting on auto for all the usa servers. Ironically i ran a few speedtests from their usa servers with verizon speedtest page and actually got average 3-8mbps speed, but i just couldn't get this speed when streaming amazon instant. Anyone have any idea why?
Yes, the Singapore 1 (USA) server is able to unblock US geo-restriction. I think the server is located here with a direct pipe to USA (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), hence, I'm able to stream movies from Hulu at 1.5MB/sec and also Pandora Radio without any problem.

civicguy and newkidontheblock like this.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #163

Can give SpotFlux a try.. I tried it some time back when I wanted a free and stable VPN.

It is pretty stable and reasonably fast when I used it.

CyberGhost has a solid free VPN service too. Didn't try their paid service, but they do have a forum which have support staff replying fast.

Last edited by FinalDestiny...; 29-08-2013 at 12:36 AM..
FinalDestiny... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #164

Ok i have tried 4 Vpns so far and Astrill is by far the fastest of them all. Their USA servers are impressive, i managed to stream an IPTV stream at 3600kbps without issue.

Before i sign up with them, anyone encounter any problem configuring their vpn on a router? Is it easy to setup on a router?
Old 29-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #165

Ok i have tried 4 Vpns so far and Astrill is by far the fastest of them all. Their USA servers are impressive, i managed to stream an IPTV stream at 3600kbps without issue.

Before i sign up with them, anyone encounter any problem configuring their vpn on a router? Is it easy to setup on a router?
It is easy on Asus routers with Merlin firmware, except the newest RT-AC58U. I am in touch with them as their applet failed to install. Thanks to Astrill debug and Merlin help, Astrill fixed the issue and it is now possible to install their Applet on RT-AC56U but RouterPro protocol doesn't work, so they are still fixing it.

Anyway, you can always setup OpenVPN directly on the routers (if you have Merlin - for Asus, Tomato or DD-WRT) and it works with no issues, however their Applet for the routers is great.

Just keep in mind that speed via router will never be the same as directly on the computer due to lower processing power. I am still checking the speeds, but for some reason I am unable to reach speeds higher than 16Mbps (compared to 150Mbps on my Mac). I can see however that CPU load on the router is 20-30% only, so there is still 170% left (2 cores). I don't know why I am unable to reach higher speeds, however I will test further.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.