Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe it's time to ditch my SmartDNS (Getflix) and use this DNS
no more love for the Google DNS 8.8.8.8?

I don’t think either Cloudflare DNS or Google DNS can replace your smarts DNS.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Yes you can, however for mobile phones, they provide a free vpn services for added privacy.

Can't u just change DNS IP in the settings?
I remembered I did that with my iPad.

The best for you is to go do some googling and read what's the difference b4 your jump to conclusions.

maybe it's time to ditch my SmartDNS (Getflix) and use this DNS
no more love for the Google DNS 8.8.8.8?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both Google and cloudfare DNS will help with bypassing censorship.

Seems the popular usage here in SG is to replace unstable ISP DNS like StarHub, bypassing simple DNS blocking like certain censored websites or App (recent Android TV Box app ban like UBTV).

But it is not to replace VPN as it only address a very small portion of your internet privacy. I also believe it can not replace Smart DNS as I do not believe it can do much for Geo-block content.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yes you can, however for mobile phones, they provide a free vpn services for added privacy.

The VPN only redirects DNS queries and does not change your IP address or touch the rest of your web traffic.

It's still good for people who don't know how to set up cloudfare to use DNS over HTTPS.

Most users would be contented with changing their DNS resolver IP on their phone or router.

More advanced users could run their own DNS server and have DNS over HTTPS for all their devices.

tI3HpGg.jpg

Last edited:

Electron168

Reaction score
Have both expressvpn and nordvpn.
Expressvpn is faster for netflix. Okay la paid around $5 each for the vpns. 3 months already and still working.

Avlis123

Reaction score
I have tried several VPN providers before committing to one. For me, the best one is hands down NordVPN. With it, I got the best speed, 24/7 customer support, and most importantly, 0 issues while watching US Netflix content. Just subscribed last Saturday with the CyberMonday deal they are offering. I believe the coupon code is 'SALE', maybe it will still work if anybody needs it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update for QQ Music,

FYI, as a test and also because of itchy hand, I just paid S$1.48 for 1 month of “付费音乐包” using Apple App Store in-app-purchase and it works. I can access VIP content and download SQ quality music now, without VPN.

Seems to be a loophole to me as the terms and conditions still state that the service is for Mainland China only.

(六)用户理解并同意:腾讯公司向用户提供的服务,可能包含腾讯公司经合法权利人授权而向用户提供的相关服务,因此,由于该权利人对腾讯公司授权时间、范围、限制等的约束,所以,腾讯公司会对开通相关服务用户所在的地区以及用户具体使用服务的时间、地域范围等做一定限制,可能会导致用户在一定的地区或时间等情况下无法获得相关服务,包括但不限于目前付费音乐包相关服务仅限用户在中国大陆地区(不含香港、澳门、台湾等地区)范围内开通并使用相关服务,如果用户在中国大陆地区之外或者使用的是非中国大陆地区之网络/设备等,则无法使用/获得相关服务。对于因为前述原因或其他原因造成用户无法享有相关服务的,腾讯公司无需承担任何责任。

camile89

Reaction score
Have both expressvpn and nordvpn.
Expressvpn is faster for netflix. Okay la paid around $5 each for the vpns. 3 months already and still working.

How you got expressvpn @ $5+/mth? Normal price for yearly subscription is already SGD11+/mth. With the extra 3 mths black friday deal is SGD9+/mth...

camile89

Reaction score
I have tried several VPN providers before committing to one. For me, the best one is hands down NordVPN. With it, I got the best speed, 24/7 customer support, and most importantly, 0 issues while watching US Netflix content. Just subscribed last Saturday with the CyberMonday deal they are offering. I believe the coupon code is 'SALE', maybe it will still work if anybody needs it.

Im also using nord to access US netflix. May I know if you are using andriod tv box or pc or..? Cos I cant seem to connect while on Minix.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't u just change DNS IP in the settings?
I remembered I did that with my iPad.
You can just change in iOS settings.

I am just curious why the 1.1.1.1 app uses local VPN on both iOS and Android.
manually setting CloudFlare DNS on Android only works when connected to a WiFi so I guess this is the easy way for average consumers to set their DNS to 1.1.1.1 everywhere they go?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
manually setting CloudFlare DNS on Android only works when connected to a WiFi so I guess this is the easy way for average consumers to set their DNS to 1.1.1.1 everywhere they go?

I agree this is the good reason other than the added security.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Dunno why android requires another app to change DNS on mobile data.

I have my own personal VPN which also uses cloudfare DNS so this app is redundant for me.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dunno why android requires another app to change DNS on mobile data.

I have my own personal VPN which also uses cloudfare DNS so this app is redundant for me.
then just simply. uninstall or don't install it.
I downloaded it out of curiosity, saw that it runs via VPN and proceed to uninstall it. and didn't complain or question about it's redundancy on forums. :)

Electron168

Reaction score
How you got expressvpn @ $5+/mth? Normal price for yearly subscription is already SGD11+/mth. With the extra 3 mths black friday deal is SGD9+/mth...

i get it from my reseller . its those shady accounts la, to me can work can already. using for 3mths plus no problem

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why I root my android phone. Imo it's pointless to use an Android phone without rooting it.

For iPhone users ....... Hahahaha

You can easily change DNS for the WiFi connections for iPhone/iPad so no issues there.

It is similar for Android, no need to root to change DNS settings for WiFi. No need to root either to change DNS settings for Ethernet connection as well.

No need to laugh at iOS. Personally I like cross platform software since I am kind of OS neutral. I like iOS but I can deal with Android. I like macOS and Linux but I have no problems with Windows.

lh0ngl

Reaction score
Just an update for QQ Music,

FYI, as a test and also because of itchy hand, I just paid S$1.48 for 1 month of “付费音乐包” using Apple App Store in-app-purchase and it works. I can access VIP content and download SQ quality music now, without VPN.

Seems to be a loophole to me as the terms and conditions still state that the service is for Mainland China only.

(六)用户理解并同意:腾讯公司向用户提供的服务,可能包含腾讯公司经合法权利人授权而向用户提供的相关服务,因此,由于该权利人对腾讯公司授权时间、范围、限制等的约束,所以,腾讯公司会对开通相关服务用户所在的地区以及用户具体使用服务的时间、地域范围等做一定限制,可能会导致用户在一定的地区或时间等情况下无法获得相关服务,包括但不限于目前付费音乐包相关服务仅限用户在中国大陆地区(不含香港、澳门、台湾等地区)范围内开通并使用相关服务,如果用户在中国大陆地区之外或者使用的是非中国大陆地区之网络/设备等,则无法使用/获得相关服务。对于因为前述原因或其他原因造成用户无法享有相关服务的,腾讯公司无需承担任何责任。

Hey xiaofan, where did you access to purchase it? I tried going into the app to purchase but they dint allow be because im not from mainland haha! Please guide me through. Thank you :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey xiaofan, where did you access to purchase it? I tried going into the app to purchase but they dint allow be because im not from mainland haha! Please guide me through. Thank you :)

Are you using iPhone or iPad? You need to use iOS in order for this to work.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.