HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)?

Like Tree551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #196

I'm using Unotelly and Astrill too. Totally agree with this. Unotelly works very well for aljazeera. However, most of other sites (Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc.), Astrill is still best.
may I ask, are you using astrill service on devices directly or on the router end?

if router end, I am wondering if can control which devices going thru VPN? which router is best for the job.
newkidontheblock likes this.
Slackersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #197

may I ask, are you using astrill service on devices directly or on the router end?

if router end, I am wondering if can control which devices going thru VPN? which router is best for the job.
Best router for Astrill VPN would be Asus RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U and custom Merlin firmware. Astrill has a great Applet dedicated to Asus routers running Merlin firmware.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #198

Best router for Astrill VPN would be Asus RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U and custom Merlin firmware. Astrill has a great Applet dedicated to Asus routers running Merlin firmware.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Never actually thought of going into AC this early yet.
Mainly due to the price and AC is still new as compared to N.
However, i will take a look at the 2 options and see how it goes.

So applet is the one that is allowing all the configuration of VPN and customizing.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #199

For Netflix, Hulu, I use AppleTV 3 with RouterPro VPN mode on RT-N66U. Stream quality is very good.
For those sites that are not provided on ATV (BBC iPlayer, SkyGO, etc.), I use StealthVPN mode on the PC.
rescapind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #200

I thought Merlin firmware for AC68U is not out yet?
Old 14-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #201

Thanks for the recommendation.
Never actually thought of going into AC this early yet.
Mainly due to the price and AC is still new as compared to N.
However, i will take a look at the 2 options and see how it goes.

So applet is the one that is allowing all the configuration of VPN and customizing.
With the applet on router, you can choose which local IP going through VPN and which not. I won't recommend the site filter thing since it never worked for me.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #202

For Netflix, Hulu, I use AppleTV 3 with RouterPro VPN mode on RT-N66U. Stream quality is very good.
For those sites that are not provided on ATV (BBC iPlayer, SkyGO, etc.), I use StealthVPN mode on the PC.
Thanks for sharing your setup. I am waiting for my ChromeCast to come and have no plan to get ATV so i have not much a choice but to have the VPN on the router end to ensure Netflix is working. Maybe might consider Roku if ChromeCast + VPN works well for me.

With the applet on router, you can choose which local IP going through VPN and which not. I won't recommend the site filter thing since it never worked for me.
Thanks for the insight! However, if i do not go with AC, i guess you will recommend Asus's N router as well? I assumed Asus have you sold? ^^ I'm currently using Apple Airport Extreme + TP-Link N router. Again, main factor is price plus ease to get the VPN working consistently on a solid built router.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #203

Thanks for the insight! However, if i do not go with AC, i guess you will recommend Asus's N router as well? I assumed Asus have you sold? ^^ I'm currently using Apple Airport Extreme + TP-Link N router. Again, main factor is price plus ease to get the VPN working consistently on a solid built router.
I'm using Asus RT-N66U and speed is sufficient for HD (or SuperHD for Netflix) streaming. I also haven't used any AC router since I have no device supporting AC yet.
If you want to use Astrill applet on router, you need to choose a compatible router. I think DD-WRT, Tomato and Asus + Merlin FW are the ones supported by Astrill so far.
Old 15-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #204

Would recommend Private Internet Access - relatively cheap (40USD/yr) and about same quality as Witopia (who I was previously using), albeit with less servers.
Rzakbzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #205

I thought Merlin firmware for AC68U is not out yet?
You are right, RT-AC56U then.
As for the not working site filter, you have to enter IPs, not domain names.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #206

You are right, RT-AC56U then.
As for the not working site filter, you have to enter IPs, not domain names.
The thing is that there are many IPs that one site uses for their streaming. Here, filtering based on IPs is nearly impossible.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #207

Would recommend Private Internet Access - relatively cheap (40USD/yr) and about same quality as Witopia (who I was previously using), albeit with less servers.
I was looking at PIA earlier as well.
Do you Netflix, Hulu? If so, how is your experience with streaming HD or Super HD?

While it is cheaper by a $10, if the service is good and reliable as Astrill which i have been hearing good reviews on it, it might worth the saving. Else, $10 over 12 months, i rather go with the better one.
Old 16-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #208

Do you Netflix, Hulu? If so, how is your experience with streaming HD or Super HD?

While it is cheaper by a $10, if the service is good and reliable as Astrill which i have been hearing good reviews on it, it might worth the saving. Else, $10 over 12 months, i rather go with the better one.
I tried PIA recently. They have a 7 day money back guarantee. I signed up via paypal and had no problem getting a refund, response was quick and professional.
Speed on US servers was decent, but not the quickest of all the VPNs that i have tested. I used their software out of the box, so i am not sure if proper configurations would have boosted the speed. Technical support was excellent, there is always help available on their online chat system. Overall a decent service and you can always go with their 7 days money back policy and ask for a refund if it is not up to expectation.
luckyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #209

I haven't had a problem streaming HD with PIA, I use both Netflix and Hulu.

Give then a shot, worst case you cancel within 7 days.
Rzakbzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #210
pug

Anyone tried Torguard? Cheaper than Astrill. Wonder how is the performance/speed...
pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.