HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)?

Like Tree571Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #2416

Why not just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home if u want to unblock Facebook etc in China?
Not ready for that yet. No one else is tech savvy at home and I do not want to mess up with Internet access for the family members.

It is perfectly okay for me not to have access to Facebook or Google or WhatsApp for a week. It is absolutely disaster (for me) if the rest of the family members lose internet access for half a day.

And actually I do not really use PC myself at home — laptop is mainly used by my wife and I am using Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi or Android TV boxes as my PC occasionally— mostly on iPhone or Android phones.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #2417

Not ready for that yet. No one else is tech savvy at home and I do not want to mess up with Internet access for the family members.

It is perfectly okay for me not to have access to Facebook or Google or WhatsApp for a week. It is absolutely disaster (for me) if the rest of the family members lose internet access for half a day.

And actually I do not really use PC myself at home — laptop is mainly used by my wife and I am using Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi or Android TV boxes as my PC occasionally— mostly on iPhone or Android phones.
You can run a VPN server on one of your PI if u do not want to mess around on the router. At most you have to forward a port on your router to the pi for VPN access. I don't see how it will break your internet.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #2418

You can run a VPN server on one of your PI if u do not want to mess around on the router. At most you have to forward a port on your router to the pi for VPN access. I don't see how it will break your internet.
Thanks for the tip. I will try this when I am back to SG next week.
Old 20-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #2419
Master Member

Norton has a new Norton Secure VPN that charges yearly subscription.

Anyone already tried? Will it work in China (eg let you access Facebook, Youtube etc?).

TIA.

Edit : Spoke to support from Norton, they said cannot due to China's policy.

Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!

Last edited by cstanhwz; 20-12-2018 at 09:34 AM..
cstanhwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #2420

How is the experience with surfshark so far? Do they have trial or money back guarantee?
They keep their word. I've ever refunded the subscription on the 30th day and they processed it. But they will ask you for the reasons and try their best to troubleshoot the issues you are facing prior to the refund.

Unfortunately, netflix not working on my andriod box either. Looks like i am stuck with expressvpn. Sigh. Pricey.

Tried surfshark since i read other reviews about good speed. When I did a speed test though, my down speed dropped from 48 to 20mbps.
Surfshark's speeds are okay for streaming, but it's not so good for torrenting.
Sadist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #2421

Anyone already tried? Will it work in China (eg let you access Facebook, Youtube etc?).

TIA.

If the VPN vendors are following China government policy, then there will no VPN targeting consumers because they are against the law. Only approved business organization can set up VPN for business use.

ExpressVPN, Nord and Astrill are some of the traditional VPN solutions known to work in China.

Then there are quite some many ShadowSocks (SS/SSR) solution providers which can bypass the great firewall (aka GFW) in China. They are usually faster than traditional VPN. There are new stuff like V2Ray and WireGuard.
Old 20-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #2422

I've tried both Express and Nord over the course of two years. I ended up sticking with Nord simply because of the price. Between the two providers I didn't really feel a huge difference in the service quality so I decided I'll better save a few bucks a month. Both of them proved to be pretty good.
Avlis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #2423

For me bro, Expressvpn is a good one coz the buttons are very straightforward. you?
Old 20-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #2424

Is it necessary to use a VPN to download torrents? Heard something about Dallas buyers club but nothing seem to come out of the case?
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #2425

Is it necessary to use a VPN to download torrents? Heard something about Dallas buyers club but nothing seem to come out of the case?
Not necessary, but advised to. I'm sure you don't want to get a knock on your door for copyright violations. A VPN has a lot of use cases and most of them offer really cheap subscription plans ATM.
Cirevek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #2426

Not necessary, but advised to. I'm sure you don't want to get a knock on your door for copyright violations. A VPN has a lot of use cases and most of them offer really cheap subscription plans ATM.

After the last dallas buyers club case, the high court decided that a IP address is insufficient evidence to pinpoint the user who pirates

The AGC and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos) said they highlighted to the court that SSLC did not submit "sufficient evidence" to show a link between the IP addresses and alleged illegal downloaders. It was on such grounds that the case was dismissed.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ime=1492645899

Only the lawyers in the dallas buyers club case face punishment for their conduct

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...ace-punishment

Considering that an IP address is the only way as far as I know that the copyright holder can identify a downloader, I think most pirates are safe.
Old 20-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #2427

TIA.

Set up a VPN on your own router or computer on your network.

I setup a openVPN server on my network for some of my relatives when they went to china and it worked fine.
Old 20-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #2428

Thinking of getting windscribe, is 3year, 5year or lifetime more worth? I think it's the cheapest or affordable VPN right now. anyone has any promo code to bring down the price more? please pm me.
b_ongzhenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #2429

After the last dallas buyers club case, the high court decided that a IP address is insufficient evidence to pinpoint the user who pirates

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ime=1492645899

Only the lawyers in the dallas buyers club case face punishment for their conduct

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...ace-punishment

Considering that an IP address is the only way as far as I know that the copyright holder can identify a downloader, I think most pirates are safe.
You can't really look at a single case to decide on this matter. I have read a lot of different stories where people were fined crazy amounts of money over a single movie. There's no point in taking the risk, rather just use a VPN to make sure you avoid these problems, especially when there are cheap deals by most providers.
Cirevek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #2430

You can't really look at a single case to decide on this matter. I have read a lot of different stories where people were fined crazy amounts of money over a single movie. There's no point in taking the risk, rather just use a VPN to make sure you avoid these problems, especially when there are cheap deals by most providers.
What case did you read? The only other copyright case I know is the odex thing form 2008.

Also there is no such thing as finned crazy amount. Those who payed up were intimidated by the lawyers letter. In the end the lawyers from the same Dallas buyers club movie who wrote those letters were punished. Those who ignored the letter got away scott free. There is an entire subreddit dedicated to the drama.

Unless bittorrent undergoes a significant redesign, the only "personally identifiable information" will be the wan IP address. Considering the relevant authorities decided that IP address is insufficient evidence as quoted below. There is probably no way as far as I know that a copyright holder can find other evidence to pinpoint the downloader

:The AGC and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos) said they highlighted to the court that SSLC did not submit "sufficient evidence" to show a link between the IP addresses and alleged illegal downloaders. It was on such grounds that the case was dismissed.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 21-12-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.