Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does Windscribe work in China? Chongqing and Chengdu.

Need access to Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube...

I've never personally tried before but there are two connection modes which they said may be useful for use in China..

XlXeLeu.jpg

r0cky4ever

Reaction score
Actually BBC iPlayer u can just steam direct if u are starhub customer. I also didn't know until I download it on my iPhone.

Civician

Reaction score
Guys, Surfshark BF deals are here.

USD 1.77/mth renewable every 27 months.

If you google hard enough, can get it for USD 0.80 per month.

PM if you need help.

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

Hey mate, can PM me the code please. Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It might work. It may not work. Not a recommended VPN for China. You will have better luck using ExpressVPN or Surfshark or some Shadowsocks provider.

https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/best-vpn-for-china.html#2_Surfshark

The author recommended the following VPN for China.

ExpressVPN
Surfshark
WannaFlix (Shadowsocks)
VPN.ac
NordVPN
12VPN
VyprVPN

During sensitive times most or all of the traditional VPNs will not work in China, including big names like ExpressVPN.

For short stay better to have mobile data roaming as the backup. I used company phone data for my short stay in Dec 2017. My company VPN also worked on the laptop. For Dec 2018 trip I no longer had the company phone and I did not bring company laptop. I used mobile data for the first day and testing different free VPN and free Shadowsocks providers -- Windscribe (free 10GB plan) did not work. TunnelBear did not work. TunSafe (based on wireguard) did not work. Less well-known Seed4Me (one year free) did work sometimes. Some free ShadowSocks servers from FreeSS.site worked as well. I used local China SIM on my phone and I did not really need to use VPNs. So they were just for testing purposes.

Also try the things mentioned in the FAQ.

https://windscribe.com/faq
What is API Resolution?
Some networks (China, businesses, etc) actively monitor your connection and can block/alter DNS requests which would break Windscribe. You can manually configure an IP address to access the API, bypassing DNS. Contact us for an IP address to use if you are getting "API Connectivity" errors.

Last edited:

urobot

Reaction score
Help

After subscribing windsribe my netflix got block. Call netflix help they advise to uninstall the vpn. try using chrome still got block. How to reset the netflix subsription back to normal. Block on my pc. But handphone can see the streaming.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Google Map is not good in China, use Baidu Maps.

You do need to use VPN or similar Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Wireguard provider in China for Gmail and YouTube.

My wife and two kids are in China now. She is using my China SIM for the trip. My wife does not want to use these complicated VPN/SS stuff. So I taught my kids to use Youku instead of YouTube on the iPad. There are English cartoons in Youku/iQiyi/Tencent Video China version. I got Youku VIP so no ads.

Then my wife is not using Gmail but Yahoo Email.

So far she is okay with the China Mobile SIM card, data is RMB1 per day per 1GB. Base fee is RMB18 per month.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually BBC iPlayer u can just steam direct if u are starhub customer. I also didn't know until I download it on my iPhone.

Hmm, are you sure it is BBC iPlayer where you can watch live TV in UK? The app is not available from Apple App Store in Singapore.

Ref: website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Do you mean BBC Player? That app is available in Singapore for Starhub customers, only VOD, no live TV.

Ref:
About BBC Player
BBC Player is an authenticated multi-genre SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand) service that allows viewers to watch the very best BBC programmes anytime, anywhere. It is available online (www.bbcplayer.com), and as an app on Apple’s App Store for iOS devices and Google’s Play Store for Android devices.

BBC Player features programmes from six BBC global brands – BBC Earth, BBC First, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies and BBC World News – as well as BBC Brit a new global brand that will be available for the first time in Asia.

Last edited:

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After subscribing windsribe my netflix got block. Call netflix help they advise to uninstall the vpn. try using chrome still got block. How to reset the netflix subsription back to normal. Block on my pc. But handphone can see the streaming.

For chrome, windscribe has it's own extension did you install it?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netflix app on pc or on browser? If on browser, clear cache.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windscribe seems to be pretty good for US/UK geo-blocked apps.

Tested free 20GB account with BBC iPlayer (UK Live TV) and PlutoTV (US Live TV) and both work well.

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pathfinder. Clear cache on browser. Netflix is working now.

Should I disable the Windscribe?
You need a paid windscribe subscription to connect to Windflix servers for Netflix.

Disable Windscribe if you don't have a paid subscription to avoid Netflix from blocking again.

satr1a

Master Member
Reaction score
Appreciate if anyone could pm the surfshark promo please?

Thanks in advance!

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surfshark pretty good speed today, about half of my usual speed on WiFi.

Connected to Singapore Server via Surfshark, on Wifi.
8810397393.png

Connected to Singapore Server without Surfshark.
8810405383.png

Last edited:

Civician

Reaction score
Just sub to the windscribe for 3 years, thanks for the sharing the promo code.
Can I check for Android user, you download the windscibe or Strongswan app?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.