HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)?

Like Tree561Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #976
Supremacy Member

Trying out Netflix. Their selection isn't really fantastic. Quite dated and limited.
That's the best legit streaming provider liao.... There is no other provider that have more titles than netflix. Netflix even produces their own titles like daredevil, orange is the new black, house of cards....

Singtel miotv and starhub cable tv is nowhere near their selection

Last edited by orlengtao; 21-04-2015 at 06:17 PM..
orlengtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #977

That's the best legit streaming provider liao.... There is no other provider that have more titles than netflix. Netflix even produces their own titles like daredevil, orange is the new black, house of cards....

Singtel miotv and starhub cable tv is nowhere near their selection
They don't have really basic stuff like Harry Potter. Even like for underworld, they only have the first show and none of the sequels.
congster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #978
Supremacy Member

Trying out Netflix. Their selection isn't really fantastic. Quite dated and limited.
Netflix's strength is their old catalog and classic shows, they don't do current series. Also their original programming.

If you want current programming, you should go with Hulu instead but I rather just use bukit timah than Hulu.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #979
Supremacy Member

They don't have really basic stuff like Harry Potter. Even like for underworld, they only have the first show and none of the sequels.
Not possible la. The amount of money to pay wb for their harry potter is too much.

Underworld i believe is on netflix..

They however do have certain new films like Noah, world war z, hunger games....

Seriously that's the best liao... The next alternative is to rent the film that you wish to see at amazon. Which cost around $8usd per film??

Their own studio production show are really really great....
Bloodlines
daredevil
Orange is the new black
unbreakable kimmy schmidt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_by_Netflix
Old 21-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #980
Supremacy Member

Netflix's strength is their old catalog and classic shows, they don't do current series. Also their original programming.

If you want current programming, you should go with Hulu instead but I rather just use bukit timah than Hulu.
yup! current programming in terms of tv-series. Hulu movie catalog is non-existent lol...

Don't bt lah, so many problem liao...

Just sub to hulu and netflix lor....
But famous show like walking dead, got is not with them
Old 23-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #981
Master Member

i subscribe to Unotelly DNS how come i cannot watch Australia movies
i can't VPN to australia and watch these 600 movies FOC ? can you

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/list/...es?cid=infocus

Last edited by Wongpk; 24-04-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Wongpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #982

i subscribe to Unotelly DNS how come i cannot watch Australia movies]
never test first before sign up?
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #983
Supremacy Member

Can anyone help me with Astrill.

When I use sg 2 or sg 1 server to surf with firefox, quite often, many sites cannot load or load fully, or takes a very long time to load. When I toggle off the VPN, then those sites have no problem loading.

Anyone else experience similar problem? What I can do to reduce the problem. Btw I'm on singnet.
hnzfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #984
Master Member

When I use sg 2 or sg 1 server to surf with firefox, quite often, many sites cannot load or load fully, or takes a very long time to load. When I toggle off the VPN, then those sites have no problem loading.

Anyone else experience similar problem? What I can do to reduce the problem. Btw I'm on singnet.
Try with chrome. If chrome can means likely firefox got problem. Reinstall firefox
Soccer Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #985

I've just tested SG1 & SG2 with Firefox, no problem & loading was fast for all sites visited on Starhub fibre. Maybe you want to try uninstalling & reinstalling your VPN client.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #986

i subscribe to Unotelly DNS how come i cannot watch Australia movies
i can't VPN to australia and watch these 600 movies FOC ? can you

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/list/...es?cid=infocus

What kind of device are you using to watch the channel? Are you using VPN or DNS? Are you connecting to the right servers?

You need to know what best suits your purpose before you sign up for a dns/vpn service.

If you are looking to change IP addresses, you most likely will need VPN, whereas if you are just looking to access specific content in certain territories, then DNS is also a viable option (usually cheaper). Many service providers offer both options but not all (e.g. Astrill doesn't offer DNS).

To access content within certain territories, you should also pay attention to where the servers are. For instance, if you want to access Aus content, you should try to see if there is a server in Aus.

Unotelly doesn't have a VPN server in Aus but they do have DNS servers there. Their VPN servers are in US (no torrenting), UK, Netherlands, Canada, and Germany. Not that many. I don't consider them strong in VPN. As their servers aren't that near to us, you shouldn't expect terrific speeds. I happen to need both DNS and VPN services and am able to tolerate slower speeds for VPN, for a lower price*, so unotelly works for me. It might not work for you.

*DNS+VPN = $7.65 USD, but after a discount, it is about USD 4 bucks for this month's subscription. I'm trying out a month first. I also tried Cactus which was faster VPN wise but slower for DNS. DNS speed is critical for me because I need it for live HD streaming. I can tolerate slower VPN speeds as Im prepared to wait a little longer.

I think it is also important to be mindful that different solutions are easier to implement for different devices.

For instance, on my Sony TV and PS3, I can change the DNS server in a jiffy so a DNS solution is more elegant if im interested in netflix. Conversely if i wanted to implement VPN, i would either have to

(i) mount VPN on the router itself (could be more troublesome and there are limitations as often 3rd party firmware flashing is necessary, e.g. asus-merlin wrt, and this is not supported on all routers,e.g. my asus RT-AC56S does not support this), or
(ii) connect the tv/ps3 to my PC via network cards to allow the devices to tap on the PC's VPN connection.

Perhaps there are other solutions, but I have not come across any thus far after doing some web searches.

Even when it comes to mounting VPN, the steps vary for different protocols - OpenVPN versus PPTP/L2TP, etc. I'm interested in mounting VPN on my synology NAS and it was more troublesome to mount the OpenVPN compared to PPTP. For the latter, a simple setup using server address, userid, and password sufficed. For Astrill OpenVPN with the NAS, apart from server access settings, I had to rip a separate certificate file and telnet the .ovpn file to the appropriate folder within the NAS. I don't imagine those born after the MS-DOS era to be comfortable with performing tasks in the command prompt environment, even though one would argue the commands needed for this is relatively simple.

Bottom line - you just have to take some time to learn these things in order to handle this comfortably. No easy way out.

Last edited by congster2; 25-04-2015 at 12:19 PM..
congster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #987
Supremacy Member

Try with chrome. If chrome can means likely firefox got problem. Reinstall firefox
I'll test both browzers and isolate the problem. Tks.
Old 25-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #988
Arch-Supremacy Member

its definitely nothing to do with your browser.

try switching the options. ie tcp/udp and ports.
Old 25-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #989
Supremacy Member

Turns out that my firefox noscript plugin is the culprit...

After reading a suggested solution by Soccer Ball, I tried loading the problematic sites I've had on firefox with Chrome. Surprisingly Chrome loaded those sites quickly without a hitch.

I then tried to disable some major plugins on firefox, and was able to narrow down to noscript addon. Once noscript is disabled, the sites are able to load normally. As to why it could be causing the conflict when vpn is turned on, I don't have the slightest idea.

I've uninstalled noscript but have to think of another way to protect myself from malicious javacripts.

Thanks bro for all the suggestions.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #990

thinking of signing up to Astrill, but the sign up is not anonymous at all which you need to fill up names, address, mobile etc?

is there other way to sign up?
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.