LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #1081
Supremacy Member

any value for money vpn for "prawn"
up for reply
Old 11-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #1082
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dear all,

Need some advise and help. And pardon for the WOT. Been reading this thread for a while and decided to get PIA vpn services for my netflix and my torrent needs. I'm on starhub fibre 100mbps plan, and im using a PC with wireless usb adapter.

I sign up the 365 days subscription. Im using utorrent at default setting. My first try was to dl the ubuntu desktop to test out. So i connected my PIA to US california server, the avg was 1.5-2mb/s and it took around 20min to dl the file (1gb). But without VPN, i can get it in less then 8min. So i did a speedtest on a few US server and other server on PIA website with VPN on,

California ~2mb/s
US east ~ 1mb/s
US west less then 1mb/s
US seattle less then 1mb/s
Hongkong 8mb/s
Singapore ~20mb/s

So i chat with the CSO and he/she told me to change my port number from 9201 to 8080 to 53 and so on, and also change from udp to tcp if the above did not work out for me, none of this improves the speed.

Then i try adding the PIA extension/exclusion on my anti virus, and also add in a DNS on the tcp/udp v4 thing on my network, also no improvement. I also tried using transmission for windows in case the torrent speed is fine just that the speed test is not, still, no improvement. I've send out another ticket seeking for help from PIA. If PIA really doesnt "suits" me, i will get the refund and sign up for another VPN service.

So, just to confirm with the VPN user and experts here, based on the above i mentioned, is there something wrong with my setting? Or is there anything else i can do? Please advise. Any help is welcome and very much appreciated.
1) how far is your wifi connection separated? try the test closer.

2) PIA and starhub may not seem to work well together. i signed up with PIA but decided to get a refund for crappy torrent speed too. i switch to astrill and my speed is near 80 to 90% of ISP speed.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #1083

1) how far is your wifi connection separated? try the test closer.

2) PIA and starhub may not seem to work well together. i signed up with PIA but decided to get a refund for crappy torrent speed too. i switch to astrill and my speed is near 80 to 90% of ISP speed.
Wifi connection is separated 2 rooms apart.

You using LAN or wifi as well? How fast can you hit if using ubuntu file as example?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #1084
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wifi connection is separated 2 rooms apart.

You using LAN or wifi as well? How fast can you hit if using ubuntu file as example?
your router is also the bottleneck. your non-vpn wifi is already slower.

my n66 is at 2 rooms apart also. i can achieve 80 to 90% ISP speed with 5G wifi. 80% ISP with 2.5G wifi.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #1085

I tired unotelly DNS servers, the best video quality I am getting with Amazon is 480p.
Are you guy able to achieve 720P ?
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #1086

your router is also the bottleneck. your non-vpn wifi is already slower.

my n66 is at 2 rooms apart also. i can achieve 80 to 90% ISP speed with 5G wifi. 80% ISP with 2.5G wifi.
Router bottleneck, as in, the dlink 865 is a crappy AC router that unable to achieve good wifi signal ah?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #1087

With Astrill VPN, I'm able to achieved 18.3MB/s (146Mbps). Without VPN, I'm getting 52.8MB/s (422Mbps). Wired.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #1088

PIA rejoin price

Rejoin PIA offer : US$31.95 per year

So far this is the lowest in the market.

PIA

For new subscription, U just click "Buy 12 months"
kim388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #1089

Some promotion.. Although never used this before

https://specials.9to5toys.com/sales/...e-subscription
ykeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #1090

PIA can watch youku, tudou etc ?
pearl_ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #1091

With Astrill VPN, I'm able to achieved 18.3MB/s (146Mbps). Without VPN, I'm getting 52.8MB/s (422Mbps). Wired.
which server are you using? Suddenly my pheonix 2 server is slow like nothing
PS.Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #1092

which server are you using? Suddenly my pheonix 2 server is slow like nothing
I was using Phoenix 2 but today Phoenix 2 is very slow so I switched to San Francisco. You may want to try Phoenix 2 again another day, it's one of the fastest servers around.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #1093

For anyone interested in VyprVPN, I have never seen any sales but I have just found something interesting. Apparently they were offering 25% discount on plans for chinese year and their link for this promotion is still valid here. Also through this link on their plans page, there is also a free 500MB account which is not listed normally. This seems to be a fully functional free account.

Although I am loyal Astrill customer, as I think it's the best VPN I have tried, I am looking for a solid backup and VyprVPN is trying hard to catch up. They have introduced their own router applet solution (like Astrill applet) and they have their own proprietary protocol Chameleon. I am definitely going to give them a try.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #1094

Ive just manage to cancel my 1 yr sub for PIA. Followed experts advise here, changing from wireless to direct Lan connection, only manage to see a slight bump from speedtest US california server or US East server, from 2mb/s to 3-4mb/s only. Try out numerous guides send by PIA, but still cmi.

Need some advise here, if i want to sign up for netflix, i should only test out those VPN services with US servers? And if these individual US "states" servers gives only 2-4mb/s, the streaming on netflix for HD videos is still consider smooth right?

And, i occasionally climb BT, not consider heavy type, what sort of speed is only consider acceptable on speed test based on my SH 100mbps fibre using wireless 2.4ghz?
Old 15-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #1095

.........Need some advise here, if i want to sign up for netflix, i should only test out those VPN services with US servers? And if these individual US "states" servers gives only 2-4mb/s, the streaming on netflix for HD videos is still consider smooth right?
Almost all VPN services have US servers.
Advice is to ping the servers to find out which server gives the fastest ping results and use that server for your connection to achieve the fastest connectivity.
tkl23786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.