HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)?

Like Tree572Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #1291

But nevertheless it is a great deal but need to know the performance first . hope it is not like Astrill

any one can share please ?
After 5 years, we can apparantly message MakeUseOf Deals to send another code. But i think by that time, we either forget we can do that or maybe the website might disappear. But 5 years still quite long.

I find PureVPN speed not as fast as PIA but they have quite a lot of servers worldwide. They have this feature where u can choose which application to be on VPN while the rest goes through the normal connection.
schlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #1292
Supremacy Member

what china websites to watch chinese shows?
twosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 03:35 AM   #1293

Been testing Astrill for a while now. Getting speeds in excess of 100mbps when connected to servers in US San Francisco. PIA gives me around 25mbps.
ilOmbr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #1294
eyz
Supremacy Member

Is Astrill 1 year 29.99 a good deal?

Come with Stealth VPN. But it allows only 1 desk/laptop and 1 mobile device. Can I top up to add 1 more laptop?
eyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #1295

Astrill VPN - private ips can do what with it?
- NAT firewall is it a good option to purchase that?
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #1296
nez
Supremacy Member

@oric1 has confused it all. Astrill applet is free to use, you can install it on any supported firmware which is Merlin, DD-WRT and Tomato. You don't need to buy RouterPRO to use Astrill applet and its features. However you will use a standard OpenVPN protocol on the Astrill's applet, which is less efficient and slower. RouterPRO is optimized version of OpenVPN, which is faster. How faster? Well in my experience even 2-4 times, it depends. I was getting fantastic speeds via router's applet back in 2013 in Singapore (on Asus RT-AC56U)

Oh. Then like that it seems like RouterPro is actually essential for an enjoyable experience. Thanks for the advise.
nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #1297
nez
Supremacy Member

Come with Stealth VPN. But it allows only 1 desk/laptop and 1 mobile device. Can I top up to add 1 more laptop?
OMG. This kind of VPN subscription price is standard for 1 PC only?
I though is for every PC connected to my internet connection? NO?
Then the Freedom VPN that came with ViewQwest is for how many PC? So far all my 5 PC including the ViewQwest TVbox is VPN able.

Last edited by nez; 28-11-2015 at 06:59 AM..
Old 28-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #1298
Supremacy Member

astrill ftw.
Old 28-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #1299

Which services are able to access China content without buffering problems during peak hours?

- does Astrill work? oric1 able to comment?

- does PureVPN work since they claim to have 6 servers in China?

- How about Unotelly UnoDNS, since they claim to support pptv, youku, xiami, baidu music, etc? This one should have best performance since it uses SmartDNS?
salmonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #1300

@oric1 has confused it all. Astrill applet is free to use, you can install it on any supported firmware which is Merlin, DD-WRT and Tomato. You don't need to buy RouterPRO to use Astrill applet and its features. However you will use a standard OpenVPN protocol on the Astrill's applet, which is less efficient and slower. RouterPRO is optimized version of OpenVPN, which is faster. How faster? Well in my experience even 2-4 times, it depends. I was getting fantastic speeds via router's applet back in 2013 in Singapore (on Asus RT-AC56U)

stiwipl is right Sorry, I was not thinking straight yesterday.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #1301
nez
Supremacy Member

stiwipl is right Sorry, I was not thinking straight yesterday.
Haha. No problem.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #1302

iirc, they have the Home Plan add-on to be able to connect 5 devices at the same time. or the VPN sharing add-on to share the connection with other devices.
ilOmbr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #1303

Which services are able to access China content without buffering problems during peak hours?

- does Astrill work? oric1 able to comment?
Picture paints a thousand words

No VPN connected

Astrill was able to stream contents from China via OpenVPN in the past but not now because of China's Great Firewall. When trying to connect via OpenVPN, I kept getting "Waiting for server reply".

The Chinese government has long blocked popular Western Web services like Google, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. In January 2015, China went after Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, that people use to sneak around the Great Firewall.

China Censors VPNs To Protect Great Firewall, But Some Manage To Get Through

Astrill OpenVPN can't connect to China servers now

After switching to StealthVPN, I was able to bypass the Great Firewall and the download speed was quite impressive too. There were no buffering when streaming in HD.

Astrill StealthVPN managed to bypass Great Firewall

Salmonella, hope I answered your question
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #1304
Arch-Supremacy Member

i am still on the fence on whether to sign up for the 5 years Purevpn or the 1+1 year for the PureVPN. i am be just using configuring the vpn on the Asus router , that's all

Any suggestion ?

Last edited by chercm; 28-11-2015 at 12:10 PM..
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #1305
Ian
Master Member

i am still on the fence on whether to sign up for the 5 years Purevpn or the 1+1 year for the PureVPN. i am be just using configuring the vpn on the Asus router , that's all

Any suggestion ?
I signed up both for the "5 Years or More" and Yearly Sub.
Should have wait for this Black Friday One+One Year Free.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/in...n-5231673.html

If you use it on your iOS and Android than it should be fine.
I need the SmartDNS features for my Apple TV hence got to sub the Yearly one.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.