Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm also searching for a good provider, main usage in china.
any advise?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amazon ec2

I pay ~ US$0.05 per month :) I have strong L2TP/IPSec security. I have full bandwidth unlimited :) Interested ?

Last edited:

outer92

Reaction score
i use boxpn vpn provider ,boxpn singapore server can watch hulu plus and netflix speed 45mbps you can try and very cheap .

Last edited:

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i use SurfBouncer. so far so good :)
even have a Singapore / HK server

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will really be impressive if you manage to get unmetered bw on ec2 with just 0.05 per month. I will be interested too.

But if you mean scalable then nvm..

Ah. By unmetered bandwidth, I'm referring to bandwidth/sec. I would admit it would be wrongly read if it refers to cost per month on the amount of traffic used, my apologies. I'm curious when you read a website says unmetered, how true do you think it is ? :)

However I'm not sure how most of you use your VPN, your mileage might differs. Suppose you sign up for the EC2 for the first 1st year, the free web-tier offers you 12 months worth of 15GB/mth in/out of AWS. Seems pretty sufficient for my use case. And I'm paying like US$0.05 for it partially for the EBS. So it seriously depends on your usage :)

Using StrongVPN of USD55/yr, that would be roughly USD4.6/month. It will translate to another 38GB of download data using US West region. In total, you get roughly 53GB of download data per month.

* Well how to get more than 1 year worth of web-tier ? You think about it :)

I'm using the one in Singapore, but my elastic IP shows I'm in UK. My upload speed via iperf shows the following

Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  45.9 MBytes  38.4 Mbits/sec

By right, M1 offers me 25Mbps upload and 50Mbps download. So don't ask me why :) Maybe they are peering and the EC2 region is in Singapore

When going through the speedtest against singapore sgx server using L2TP/IPSec, I get 39ms ping, 17Mbps download and 9.5Mbps upload. Viewquest server gave me 28Mbps/11Mbps.

Given you don't need to pay for using initially, I see no harm for anyone trying to see how it fair for your usage.

Update:

I did a very fast test. Setup a server in US West, perform a socks proxy via ssh. Tried a few hulu videos, downloading at 5Mbps, I say that's pretty fast. Such a test cost me USD0.08, since I did the setup and test in less than 1hr. The bandwidth used is too negligible to even consider. I assume hulu video are of 600-700KB/s, for 15GB, you get to watch free 6-7hrs worth of video per month.

Assuming each show is roughly 180mins ? I suppose each show outside of the free web trier will cost you roughly USD0.80.

Last edited:

benjaminyeo

Reaction score
Ah. By unmetered bandwidth, I'm referring to bandwidth/sec. I would admit it would be wrongly read if it refers to cost per month on the amount of traffic used, my apologies. I'm curious when you read a website says unmetered, how true do you think it is ? :)

However I'm not sure how most of you use your VPN, your mileage might differs. Suppose you sign up for the EC2 for the first 1st year, the free web-tier offers you 12 months worth of 15GB/mth in/out of AWS. Seems pretty sufficient for my use case. And I'm paying like US$0.05 for it partially for the EBS. So it seriously depends on your usage :)

Using StrongVPN of USD55/yr, that would be roughly USD4.6/month. It will translate to another 38GB of download data using US West region. In total, you get roughly 53GB of download data per month.

* Well how to get more than 1 year worth of web-tier ? You think about it :)

I'm using the one in Singapore, but my elastic IP shows I'm in UK. My upload speed via iperf shows the following

Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  45.9 MBytes  38.4 Mbits/sec

By right, M1 offers me 25Mbps upload and 50Mbps download. So don't ask me why :) Maybe they are peering and the EC2 region is in Singapore

When going through the speedtest against singapore sgx server using L2TP/IPSec, I get 39ms ping, 17Mbps download and 9.5Mbps upload. Viewquest server gave me 28Mbps/11Mbps.

Given you don't need to pay for using initially, I see no harm for anyone trying to see how it fair for your usage.

Update:

I did a very fast test. Setup a server in US West, perform a socks proxy via ssh. Tried a few hulu videos, downloading at 5Mbps, I say that's pretty fast. Such a test cost me USD0.08, since I did the setup and test in less than 1hr. The bandwidth used is too negligible to even consider. I assume hulu video are of 600-700KB/s, for 15GB, you get to watch free 6-7hrs worth of video per month.

Assuming each show is roughly 180mins ? I suppose each show outside of the free web trier will cost you roughly USD0.80.

anyway, ec2 has always been good for some free hulu. i'm on the west coast and it streams 480p smoothly all the time. im running on less secured pptp though. but then again, can't really ask for much since the whole setup process takes less than 1min excluding the initialization of a node.

did the sg node really give out UK address? if that is the case, i can finally watch bbc on iplayer!

solidghost

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had thought that VPN is usually to connect to your company office one? Need a server at your office with static IP address only right?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had thought that VPN is usually to connect to your company office one? Need a server at your office with static IP address only right?

No, why should that be ? Don't be mistaken VPN with VPC. VPC is potentially a much larger infrastructure that integrates your corporate network with a subnet in AWS.

Actually for the usage formost people in here for VPN is not really about security :) It's just a jumping board. But of course, some added security (obscurity) is always good.

VPN can be 2-way, it depends on who is the initiator, but the traffic flow is not limited in anyway, up to your routing skill set and requirements.

The whole idea about jumping point to point doesn't require VPN via PPTP or L2TP/IPSEC or SSTP. Just simple IP-in-IP or IP-in-GRE will do. Potentially PPTP is nothing more than IP-in-GRE with added encryption. But obviously, setup of PPTP is much easier with the necessary servers and client already available to most platforms. Configuring your own IP-in-IP can be challenging to most and also restricted to certain platforms only :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.