Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
both affiliate links??? lol

edit: I used purevpn before. requested for refund before the money back guarantee period was over.. one of the worst paid VPN I've tried before. yes it's dirt cheap, but PIA price is not far off and purevpn can only smell PIA's smoke when I compared the speed and features.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
i've got both, some stuffs that doesnt work on PIA works on Purevpn.
bbc uk will never work on PIA :(

dryteletubby

Reaction score
You guys need to make a friend in the country u want to watch your geo restricted contents.

After which convince him or her to run a VPN server for you to use.

xeelee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
finally got the digitalocean vpn server to work after destroying and starting 5 droplets :)

xeelee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i follow this guide.. however its not hardened yet so its vulnerable.. i just want to test to see if it works first

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You guys need to make a friend in the country u want to watch your geo restricted contents.

After which convince him or her to run a VPN server for you to use.

Good idea if you have such a friend, probably with the exception in China where it is illegal for business and individuals to set up VPN servers without approval.

marc-x

Reaction score
Anything to look out for when buying vpn, newbie here.

Looking thro offers since now got black friday & cyber monday sales.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything to look out for when buying vpn, newbie here.

Looking thro offers since now got black friday & cyber monday sales.

There are a few deals mentioned in this thread. You need to state the goals that you want to accomplish first.

marc-x

Reaction score
There are a few deals mentioned in this thread. You need to state the goals that you want to accomplish first.

Thanks for the reply, actually, i would say i'm not a 'heavy user'. I don't watch netflix, bbc, etc. Mostly simple internet surfing, & maybe some downloading.

Saw some offer, after applying promo code, around sub $20 for lifetime subscription, seems attractive.

fitzz82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, actually, i would say i'm not a 'heavy user'. I don't watch netflix, bbc, etc. Mostly simple internet surfing, & maybe some downloading.

Saw some offer, after applying promo code, around sub $20 for lifetime subscription, seems attractive.
u can purchase windscribe vpn for 1yr. if u like it, nx yr BF will have other vpn sales.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

When I see the word “downloading” I kind of associate that with torrent stuff which I think is problematic...

So it seems to me that you are more concerned about privacy and not to circumvent Geo-blocking, Is that right? PIA seems to be well suited for this purpose from what I gathered here.

Experts here may give you better recommendations. I am new to this stuff myself, only tried a few China specific VPNs to go inside China for Geo-blocking content. I am also interested in VPNs to be used in China as well.

dgenex

Reaction score
Any recommendations for VPN for Android TV Box to watch geo-blocked content meant only for USA and maybe UK? Thanks!

xeelee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh does that work? :O

yes it works..but speed is slow compared to astrill i was using last time..but still usable..but i think need to destroy the droplet in order not to be charged
$0.007/hr..else its $5/mth ..going to try setup algo or https://getoutline.org on digitalocean ..outline from google seems very easy to setup

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for VPN for Android TV Box to watch geo-blocked content meant only for USA and maybe UK? Thanks!

ExpressVPN is the gold standard here from what I read but it is more expensive than others. NordVPN is another good one but again on the higher cost side.

Maybe there are also others but the above two are consistently on the TOP lists for all kind of use cases (may not be the most cost effective though).

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

for normal usage privacy and P2P downloading (torrenting), you can consider PIA. speed is fast (~100mbps) even when connected to Canada, Sweden, Germany servers that supports port forwarding. if you don't require port forwarding support for torrenting, you can simply connect to nearer servers (SG, HK) for even higher spred.

u can purchase windscribe vpn for 1yr. if u like it, nx yr BF will have other vpn sales.
stacksocial have lifetime Windscribe VPN subscription for us$59.. last Friday they have a 40% BF code but today only have 20% off for CM.

are you talking about streaming boxes with official Android TV OS (mibox, nvidia shield) or those China boxes running mobile Android OS?

if it's the latter, just try any reputable VPN providers with good android app and free trials to test first. otherwise you have to set your box to run using OpenVPN connect.

if you are using official Android TV OS box, then I can't really give you any recommendations now.. because I have tried running PIA VPN on my mibox3 via PIA's app, OpenVPN app and via my router, all 3 will sometimes leak IP or DNS.

anyways nowadays using Android boxes can just sideload those apps to watch us and uk programs isit it? doesn't matter your location is.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyways nowadays using Android boxes can just sideload those apps to watch us and uk programs isit it? doesn't matter your location is.

Live TV program yes there are alternatives but usually may not be of high quality.

Netflix no.

Of course you can try to use Kodi Addons but actually I see many people recommend to use VPNs for those Kodi addons as well.

alvino

Reaction score
Anyone on NordVPN? The speed seems to be sub-par compared to Astrill....
yeah i tested this week, NordVPN is not fast, about 1+2MBPS on torrents. Astrill is way way better. Their price is also WAY WAY expensive

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah i tested this week, NordVPN is not fast, about 1+2MBPS on torrents. Astrill is way way better. Their price is also WAY WAY expensive
curious to know what kind of speed can you usually get when torrenting using astrill? does it support port forwarding?

Live TV program yes there are alternatives but usually may not be of high quality.

Netflix no.

Of course you can try to use Kodi Addons but actually I see many people recommend to use VPNs for those Kodi addons as well.
Netflix not an issue for me since I am paying for Netflix and using mibox..

I stopped using Kodi long ago because it's pointless to keep looking for working repo to install just to find out that it's no longer working a few days later.. nowadays those apps seems to work better and last longer.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.