HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree576Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #166

Astrill applet on my N66U:
- OpenVPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~5Mbps
- OpenVPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~10Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~13Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~20Mbps
Router CPU is the bottle neck here.

Best bet is still running the client on the PCs. So if you use HTPC, it would be perfect.
I also tried the VPN sharing thing. But still having some issue with it.
Did you overclock N66U? If yes, this is possible.

Hmm, thats interesting. I wonder how the AC66U or even AC56U with dual core CPU will fare since you mentioned Router CPU is the bottle neck.

Thanks for sharing..
It won't perform much better unfortunately, it is because OpenVPN doesn't use multiple cores. I have been testing RT-AC56U quite heavily in the last 3 days since I bought it.

My results on Astrill and LA2 server are:
- OpenVPN UDP -> 5 Mbps
- OpenVPN TCP -> 14.5 Mbps
- RouterPro UDP -> 5 Mbps
- RouterPro TXP -> 16 Mbps

Good news are that Astrill has fixed their applet to make it RT-AC56U compatible (except device filter). Bad news is that I thought this router can achieve better speeds on VPN.

It is possible to overlock AC56U from 800Mhz to 1200Mhz and increase VPN speeds to approx. 24 Mbps.
newkidontheblock likes this.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #167

Did you overclock N66U? If yes, this is possible.

It won't perform much better unfortunately, it is because OpenVPN doesn't use multiple cores. I have been testing RT-AC56U quite heavily in the last 3 days since I bought it.

- OpenVPN UDP -> 5 Mbps

Good news are that Astrill has fixed their applet to make it RT-AC56U compatible (except device filter). Bad news is that I thought this router can achieve better speeds on VPN.

It is possible to overlock AC56U from 800Mhz to 1200Mhz and increase VPN speeds to approx. 24 Mbps.
Thanks for the update and heads up! May I know which server were you connected to ?
Old 30-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #168
Supremacy Member

It is easy on Asus routers with Merlin firmware, except the newest RT-AC58U. I am in touch with them as their applet failed to install. Thanks to Astrill debug and Merlin help, Astrill fixed the issue and it is now possible to install their Applet on RT-AC56U but RouterPro protocol doesn't work, so they are still fixing it.

Anyway, you can always setup OpenVPN directly on the routers (if you have Merlin - for Asus, Tomato or DD-WRT) and it works with no issues, however their Applet for the routers is great.

Just keep in mind that speed via router will never be the same as directly on the computer due to lower processing power. I am still checking the speeds, but for some reason I am unable to reach speeds higher than 16Mbps (compared to 150Mbps on my Mac). I can see however that CPU load on the router is 20-30% only, so there is still 170% left (2 cores). I don't know why I am unable to reach higher speeds, however I will test further.
OpenVPN itself has a lot of overheads. You guys should try using PPTP or L2TP on your routers instead if you really want speed.

3MB/s to US is possible with these protocols.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #169

Thanks for the update and heads up! May I know which server were you connected to ?
LA2.

OpenVPN itself has a lot of overheads. You guys should try using PPTP or L2TP on your routers instead if you really want speed.

3MB/s to US is possible with these protocols.
PPTP has been compromised, so doesn't provide much security.
Old 30-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #170
Supremacy Member

PPTP has been compromised, so doesn't provide much security.
Do you honestly need security when watching Netlfix or Hulu???
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #171

Do you honestly need security when watching Netlfix or Hulu???
For watching Netflix or Hulu definitely not. But for that also 8 Mbps will do.
Old 30-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #172

I wanted to say Astrill VPN but it seems like the more recent posts have already highlighted its reliability and speed.
Sadist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #173

[...]
- OpenVPN UDP -> 5 Mbps
[...]
I have given RT-AC56U some more time to play with and was able to achieve the following results with Astrill VPN using DownThemAll Firefox addon and downloading a file from mirror.nl.leaseweb.net | powered by LeaseWeb :

- OpenVPN UDP - 735 KB/s (unstable, fluctuates 400-750 KB/s)

- OpenVPN TCP - 1.80 MB/s (stable)

- RouterPro UDP - 2.62 MB/s (unstable, fluctuates between 1.2MB/s - 2.95 MB/s)

- RouterPro TCP - 2.09 MB/s (stable within 1.85-2.05 MB/s)

- Mac app - 10 MB/s (fluctuates between 5-10 MB/s, on a different server - Phoenix, I am able to achieve 10-16 MB/s)

UDP should be faster than TCP generally speaking at least over the short distances, that's why with US at 172ms latency TCP works more stable I think but UDP can achieve much higher speeds.
jasonho and newkidontheblock like this.

Last edited by stiwipl; 31-08-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Old 31-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #174
eyz
Supremacy Member

guys , are these VPN providers better & cheaper than our ISPs ones?
eyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #175
Arch-Supremacy Member

I was thinking of starting a new thread but since there is a VPN thread already i'll share my discoveries here..

1) Fast free VPN - Hola
They have apps for your mobile devices too. For the desktop, you can use their chrome browser plugin to watch netflix, hulu etc. Just select the country you want and it will route to it. The beauty is it's only for your browser so your torrent traffic does not go through the VPN.

2) Paid VPN - Lots! (as shared by so many others)
I am using PureVPN

3) HD streaming of EPL!
I Signed up for Aljazeerasport.tv. Paid subscription. Works great with PureVPN and Hola. Very fast and clear streaming!
Just remember to logout of the website after you use and don't just close your browser. Their server will think you have multiple logins going on if you just close the browser and login again. Soon you will get a fairuse error locking you out for hours!

4) Selective routing for PPTP VPN,
There is a Raspberry pi project that allows me to do the below. PM me for details if you need assistance setting it up. But essentially this is what it allowed me to do.

More info can be found here.
https://github.com/dboyd13/DSVR
civicguy and newkidontheblock like this.
bullfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #176

[...]
There is a Raspberry pi project that allows me to do the below. PM me for details if you need assistance setting it up. But essentially this is what it allowed me to do.
[...]
Looks complicated. I think if you really don't want to switch server or want to watch different region locked streams simultaneously it is best to use good paid VPN with server that gives you best performance, combined with either SmartDNS or UnoDNS.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #177
Arch-Supremacy Member

Looks complicated. I think if you really don't want to switch server or want to watch different region locked streams simultaneously it is best to use good paid VPN with server that gives you best performance, combined with either SmartDNS or UnoDNS.
I agree! however, I already signed up for a years subscription with PureVPN. They're like your traditional VPN providers, so once logged in, all traffic gets routed through the VPN connection.
Since I didn't want to sign up for another DNS VPN subscription(also cos pureVPN is fast!) I ended up setting up a raspberry pi between my modem and router so that it does all the selective domain routing for me.
The good thing about the raspberry pi setup is that I am in control and can specify which domain's I want to route, via which pureVPN server's connection. All my connections behind the router are then routed accordingly and nothing needs to be done at my devices.

Last edited by bullfrog; 05-09-2013 at 07:56 PM..
bullfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #178

go try BolehVpn, Airvpn or Mullvad..

these are the best .... all allow P2P...
samsunggs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #179
Arch-Supremacy Member

I was thinking of starting a new thread but since there is a VPN thread already i'll share my discoveries here..

1) Fast free VPN - Hola
They have apps for your mobile devices too. For the desktop, you can use their chrome browser plugin to watch netflix, hulu etc. Just select the country you want and it will route to it. The beauty is it's only for your browser so your torrent traffic does not go through the VPN.

2) Paid VPN - Lots! (as shared by so many others)
I am using PureVPN

3) HD streaming of EPL!
I Signed up for Aljazeerasport.tv. Paid subscription. Works great with PureVPN and Hola. Very fast and clear streaming!
Just remember to logout of the website after you use and don't just close your browser. Their server will think you have multiple logins going on if you just close the browser and login again. Soon you will get a fairuse error locking you out for hours!

More info can be found here.
https://github.com/dboyd13/DSVR
Hve tried to watch ur aljazeera sports on mobile phone or tablets?
Ronaldo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #180
eyz
Supremacy Member

guys, is there any vpn out there that is better and cheaper than viewqwest freedom vpn?

am considering subscribing to viewqwest fibre, and would like to watch china p2p.
eyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.