HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree588Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #1801
Arch-Supremacy Member

I did not see any China server being listed in the ExpressVPN website

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-server-map#locations
Read here lah

https://www.bestvpn-china.com/best-vpn-china/
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #1802

My friends and I use bolehvpn, they are torrent/p2p friendly and don't keep records.

BolehVPN: a VPN service offering security, anonymity, privacy and P2P at fast speeds
Just activated the 1 day trial for bolehvpn. Speed with the sg server is fast as expected but speed with the us server drop like crazy. What's your experiences with regards to speed?
xuan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #1803

subjective i guess. depends on your constraints. a few of them might get you most of the features at a lower price... some might have added perks you may or may not need. like a dedicated ip. so, like i said, subjective bro.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
MasterChief86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #1804

Just activated the 1 day trial for bolehvpn. Speed with the sg server is fast as expected but speed with the us server drop like crazy. What's your experiences with regards to speed?
1. Define your "fast". IMO, at the current stage for family usage, I could only assume any dl speed more than 300 mbps after connected to a VPN to be fast. However, without a VPN, a fast dl speed to majorities of the overseas' servers to be more than 100mbps.

2. Define your "drop like crazy". Otherwise, there could be no logical comparison.

In general,

A) a raw local connection to a local server's speed is able to max out what the ISP has claimed; to any other international servers' speed depends on ISPs' control over bandwidths, their routings, peak hours...etc. (note pls, even though VQ always claim that they don't control international bandwidths, what's there to control after u got to experience the already-so-slow speed.)

B) a local connection connected a local VPN server, the tunneled traffics to a local server's speed determines what is the individual ISP's opinions on throttling of dl/ul speed. Then, all other international bandwidths very much depends on the VPN server's capabilities(speed, routings...etc), and how a VPN provider conducts its services(throttle, encryption method, server load/balancing...etc).

C) assume i) your ISP is the most generous one on tunneled/encrypted/BT traffics, && ii) your VPN provider offers the best server(local/nearest to u) among the rest, u will achieve the best internet experiences both locally and internationally.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by suntanoi1983; 25-05-2017 at 05:35 PM..
suntanoi1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #1805
Master Member

Any bro here can shed some light on split tunneling of vpn?

I use only Openvpn client.

Can drop me a pm.
Thanks!!!
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xsoldix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 12:05 AM   #1806

Any bro here can shed some light on split tunneling of vpn?

I use only Openvpn client.

Can drop me a pm.
Thanks!!!
If you are having some ideas on setting up a company to run that service, yes I am keen on a private discussion.

Else, for your own usage, not.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
suntanoi1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #1807

Anyone tried ivacy? It's really cheap now with 83% discount and seems to have good features like no logs.

and if u stay on the site long enough, they have a popup to offer further 10%
~Dragonite~ likes this.
skarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #1808
Supremacy Member

Anyone tried ivacy? It's really cheap now with 83% discount and seems to have good features like no logs.

and if u stay on the site long enough, they have a popup to offer further 10%
is it really a good idea to subscribe to a VPN provider in your own country?
local authorities can straight ask for your info by going to their door step.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Kapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #1809
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

Hi

Anyone using CyberGhost VPN? Needs some frank answers.

I was trying the free CyberGhost for anonymous surfing during the weekdays and its ok except that I was annoyed with its long connection time.

However, for anonymous surfing, last Sat and Sun at home(day and night) it took a looooooooong time to make a connection to the free servers even on automatic selection. Eventually I cancelled it since it can't make a quick connection.

I understand that the paid version gives 5x faster surfing speed but what about its connection speed?

Anyone can comment on this? Also, any pros and cons in using CyberGhost?

Would appreciate very much so that I can make a decision as to whether it's worthwhile signing up.

Thanks a lot
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #1810
Master Member

Hi

Anyone using CyberGhost VPN? Needs some frank answers.

I was trying the free CyberGhost for anonymous surfing during the weekdays and its ok except that I was annoyed with its long connection time.

However, for anonymous surfing, last Sat and Sun at home(day and night) it took a looooooooong time to make a connection to the free servers even on automatic selection. Eventually I cancelled it since it can't make a quick connection.

I understand that the paid version gives 5x faster surfing speed but what about its connection speed?

Anyone can comment on this? Also, any pros and cons in using CyberGhost?

Would appreciate very much so that I can make a decision as to whether it's worthwhile signing up.

Thanks a lot
I am a light user of the paid version for a while and has been using the free version after my paid one had expired recently.

Connection and speed were decent; didn't experienced any lags or slowdown, regardless of paid or free. The free version requires me to be in the queue before I can be connected. Anyway, the queue is moving fast for me, just need to wait for about a minute or so before I can be connected to the service.

Also take note, I read that there is a limit per session. I can't remember the duration for each connection. So far, it has not occur to me yet since each session is about an hour for me.

Upon connected, I don't feel the speed to be very much faster/slower compared to my paid version. I can't quantify since I don't do any downloading.

I was about to sign up with a 50% discount being offered to me, but the uncertainty of the service is holding me back after I read that it was being bought over by another company.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
dreamer_toons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #1811
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am a light user of the paid version for a while and has been using the free version after my paid one had expired recently.

Connection and speed were decent; didn't experienced any lags or slowdown, regardless of paid or free. The free version requires me to be in the queue before I can be connected. Anyway, the queue is moving fast for me, just need to wait for about a minute or so before I can be connected to the service.

Also take note, I read that there is a limit per session. I can't remember the duration for each connection. So far, it has not occur to me yet since each session is about an hour for me.

Upon connected, I don't feel the speed to be very much faster/slower compared to my paid version. I can't quantify since I don't do any downloading.

I was about to sign up with a 50% discount being offered to me, but the uncertainty of the service is holding me back after I read that it was being bought over by another company.
IMO 1 minute connection time is long

Actually, there was a complain(see below) by someone facing the problem of not able to connect to CyberGhost for no apparent reason like what I faced last weekend. It just cannot connect.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/in...3316864-2.html

One other thing for its Premium Plan for a single connection. Is it true that CG is tied to the device you installed ie if you installed CG on a laptop A then you cannot surf CG on laptop B and vice versa? I'm not talking of both connecting at the same time but individual connection.

FYI, CG does log your privacy info(stated in their privacy policy) and hardware info as well

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...are-id.388009/

I don't think I want to subscribe to them

Thanks
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by Apparatus; 31-05-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #1812

If you are having some ideas on setting up a company to run that service, yes I am keen on a private discussion.

Else, for your own usage, not.
Hi, suntanoi1983,

Like to hear your review on Nordvpn which seems very reasonably priced as compared to flyvpn. My main purpose is to access utube when in China, able to access Indonesia geolocked site as well as occasional access to HK tvb content....

Like to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance...
~Dragonite~ likes this.
ckjoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #1813

Hi, suntanoi1983,

Like to hear your review on Nordvpn which seems very reasonably priced as compared to flyvpn. My main purpose is to access utube when in China, able to access Indonesia geolocked site as well as occasional access to HK tvb content....

Like to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance...
Although, i used NordVPN and it's good for streaming but recently i started using PureVPN to access restricted content. It works fine, the speed is awesome specially when i stream live content. You may have its trial in very low cost. Also, do not go for free trial VPNs as they earn by keeping logs of users data and has less features as explained here: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/trial-vpn/
~Dragonite~ likes this.
alanwade123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #1814
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

Although, i used NordVPN and it's good for streaming but recently i started using PureVPN to access restricted content. It works fine, the speed is awesome specially when i stream live content. You may have its trial in very low cost. Also, do not go for free trial VPNs as they earn by keeping logs of users data and has less features as explained here: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/trial-vpn/
But PureVPN logs the time that you signed in and used the service and the IP address that you connected to.

https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews/purevpn-review/

Are these good for your privacy?
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by Apparatus; 06-06-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Old 06-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #1815

Thanks for the advise alanwade123. I just trialled zenvpn and is quite reasonable but with v limited access currently. Nordvpn running a 2yrs promo of 79.9usd which is rather cheap if you ask me, less than 5sgd per month. Very tempting to sign up....how does it work in China? Able to access utube or google? Is HD streaming possible from Nordvpn?
Let me know your thoughts on the setup esp router setup as I am quite a noob at VPN basically...
~Dragonite~ likes this.
ckjoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.