HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree577Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 AM   #2086
Master Member

I thought your ISP gave you speed
that is what my doctor gives me..

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #2087

Has any bros here tried surfshark? Is it good speedwise?

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
cheechiongfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #2088

trying to see which VPN give good Black Friday deals

keep watch and post here !!!
Old 15-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #2089
Arch-Supremacy Member

which VPN gave you 500mbps speed and $10 cheaper?

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT
Read properly dude.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #2090

Has any bros here tried surfshark? Is it good speedwise?

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
Which servers are you looking at specifically? The Singapore server cmi.
Sadist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #2091

Hey guys, anyone tried Ivacy before? Really interested because of their prices but it kinda seems too good to be true as they're like offering 5 year lock in prices for 1.34 a month now.
I'm using it. Pretty decent. It's a local company BTW. One of the few VPN with Malaysia server...so that I can move my steam account to Malaysia as I can buy everything in rm

Last edited by -Synchronicity-; 15-11-2018 at 07:57 PM..
-Synchronicity- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #2092
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm using it. Pretty decent. It's a local company BTW. One of the few VPN with Malaysia server...so that I can go my steam account to Malaysia as I can buy everything in rm
Can share speed u could get?
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #2093
Master Member

Read properly dude.
you need to manage your expectations when using a VPN..

Old 15-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #2094

Can share speed u could get?
Server? 10char
-Synchronicity- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #2095

Anyone able to help me? I signed up with ExpressVPN and I'm able to set up the VPN through AsusWRT OpenVPN, however the speed hit is too significant for me to stream US Netflix in 4K. I am trying to set up the MediaStreamer DNS instead but it doesn't work for me. I'm still getting SG Netflix when I set up the MediaStreamer DNS.

My ISP is MyRepublic, so I am unable to set up DDNS on my Asus router. My understanding is that it's because MR assigns a private WAN IP, i.e. in layman's terms, it's like MR is running a router ahead of my router, so the WAN IP is see reflected in my Asus router that is 172.xx.xx.xx isn't the real public IP that internet traffic sees. Nevertheless, when I log into ExpressVPN and click on DNS settings, what I assume to be my real public WAN IP is indicated as registered. If that's the case, shouldn't the DNS thing work for me? Just so frustrated I just want to get US Netflix streaming in 4K.
kira.yiktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #2096
Master Member

Anyone able to help me? I signed up with ExpressVPN and I'm able to set up the VPN through AsusWRT OpenVPN, however the speed hit is too significant for me to stream US Netflix in 4K. I am trying to set up the MediaStreamer DNS instead but it doesn't work for me. I'm still getting SG Netflix when I set up the MediaStreamer DNS.

My ISP is MyRepublic, so I am unable to set up DDNS on my Asus router. My understanding is that it's because MR assigns a private WAN IP, i.e. in layman's terms, it's like MR is running a router ahead of my router, so the WAN IP is see reflected in my Asus router that is 172.xx.xx.xx isn't the real public IP that internet traffic sees. Nevertheless, when I log into ExpressVPN and click on DNS settings, what I assume to be my real public WAN IP is indicated as registered. If that's the case, shouldn't the DNS thing work for me? Just so frustrated I just want to get US Netflix streaming in 4K.
what router are you using? how bad is the hit?

Old 16-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #2097
Supremacy Member

i dun think VPN speed able to stream 4K smoothly.
wireguard or sock5 proxy can.
even for 8k video, but need good VPS
Old 16-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #2098

what router are you using? how bad is the hit?

Using RT-AC5300 so confirm ain't my router being not up to snuff. No VPN, LG TV Netflix app, check network connection, speed around 100Mbps. With VPN using west coast servers (LA, SF), DC server, and eastern seaboard (NJ) servers configured through AsusWRT OpenVPN, I'm getting at best 7Mbps. So I get streams at 1080p, although it usually starts at crappy 480p and low bandwidth before slowly scaling up to 5Mbps and 1080p. Ain't no 4K secret sauce. I need the 4K.
Old 16-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #2099

Bro are you able to get US Netflix streaming at 4K? Anyone able to do so with MyRepublic? Please teach.
Old 16-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #2100
Master Member

I'm using Asus ac86u running on Merlin WRT's OpenVPN client and have no issues hitting 200mbps up and down stream consistently.. so Netflix and YouTube 4k with 0 dropped frames is not an issue.

Using RT-AC5300 so confirm ain't my router being not up to snuff. No VPN, LG TV Netflix app, check network connection, speed around 100Mbps. With VPN using west coast servers (LA, SF), DC server, and eastern seaboard (NJ) servers configured through AsusWRT OpenVPN, I'm getting at best 7Mbps. So I get streams at 1080p, although it usually starts at crappy 480p and low bandwidth before slowly scaling up to 5Mbps and 1080p. Ain't no 4K secret sauce. I need the 4K.
I suggest you to contact expressvpn tech support with your debug log for them to assess. ac5300 have crypto hardware acceleration that is on par with my ac86u so 7mbps is really abit too low.. unless that's really what expressvpn is providing..

I previously also tried expressvpn but requested for refund within the refund period because the speed was much slower than PIA..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.