Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone on ExpressVPN?
They claim to have the fastest speed in SG: https://www.express-vpn.com/what-is-vpn

No logs, 256bit encryption, unlimited bandwidth, allows torrenting too.

Am VPN-less since my Astrill expired. =(

Why don't you try it out? They have 30 day money back guarantee.

As for me I am still happy on PrivateInternetAccess. Fastest speeds with best value around.

segafan

Reaction score
Express vpn limited to how many simul logins?
You can install Express VPN software on all of your devices. One desktop/laptop and one mobile device under the same account can be connected at the same time. To be connected on even more devices, simply log into the customer section of our website and purchase an additional subscription.

Source: https://www.express-vpn.com/vpn-software

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can install Express VPN software on all of your devices. One desktop/laptop and one mobile device under the same account can be connected at the same time. To be connected on even more devices, simply log into the customer section of our website and purchase an additional subscription.

Source: https://www.express-vpn.com/vpn-software

Privateinternetaccess gives 5 simul access, what does express vpn offer?

seasonscrystal

Reaction score
Some personal experiences sharing, no fancy technology stuffs, just plain actual usage experiences.

Having 3 VPNs (VPTraffic, PIA and Astrill) currently, I personally think Astrill gives the best overall speed for my usage (stream from US & CN). PIA though give 5 connections, but most of the time we'll only be using one. VPNTraffic is just cheap.

For US steam, PIA speedtest normally you'll get lower ping to Singapore, but in actual usage I find Astrill gives better speed from most servers. Like when using XBMC add-on, some US stream servers I find I'm unable to watch 720p during peak hours, but am able to using Astrill. Sometime I even find VPNTraffic better than PIA. PIA seems to work better with putlocker and 180upload.

For China steam, Astrill still can lag during peak hours, but it's better than VPNTraffic. However, I ever managed to dl files with Xunlei VIP boost using VPNTraffic and gotten download speed of 2.5+MB/s. Astrill best CN server is actually proxy via US, which is why the speed is better, their direct CN server CMI. VPNTraffic is direct CN servers, offpeak hour streaming LeTV 720p normally no lag.

Most likely will not renew PIA, will just use Astrill and VPNTraffic as spare.:D Which is US$69.95 + US$35 per annual.

Just ordered a cheapo used modified netgear 614v9 (64MB RAM + 8MB Flash) which cost around S$25 shipped. Going to use it with Astrill applets and see how it turns out.:D

lamEduDe

Reaction score
Hi all, just asking is there any good free vpn providers out there?
of course i know im asking for free so im not expecting fast speed.

just dont want to pay as im not using vpn for netflix or stuff like that but just to secure my usage over a public wifi.

thanks!

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just asking is there any good free vpn providers out there?
of course i know im asking for free so im not expecting fast speed.

just dont want to pay as im not using vpn for netflix or stuff like that but just to secure my usage over a public wifi.

thanks!

So who are you securing your Public WiFi access from ?

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does vpn helps to improve the streaming on my iptv box?

it's a china box, and i have no problem with access to the movies. it's just that there's quite a lot of buffering. will a vpn help in this case?

Dryden28

Reaction score
Hi guys, i can't signup with astrill as i'm on singnet. Any other vpn provider with a china server with decent speed?

c1steady

Reaction score
hotspot shield premium

any one here using hotspot shield premium? what are the pros and cons ?

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just signed up Astrill VPN as recommended by some bros here. so far so good :) can watch from US channels to China youku - TVB cantonese drama :p
Full content on PPTV/PPS?

Also, possible to install the Astrill applet on a asus router with a trial account?

Last edited:

rainmanreigns

Reaction score
Some personal experiences sharing, no fancy technology stuffs, just plain actual usage experiences.

Having 3 VPNs (VPTraffic, PIA and Astrill) currently, I personally think Astrill gives the best overall speed for my usage (stream from US & CN). PIA though give 5 connections, but most of the time we'll only be using one. VPNTraffic is just cheap.

For US steam, PIA speedtest normally you'll get lower ping to Singapore, but in actual usage I find Astrill gives better speed from most servers. Like when using XBMC add-on, some US stream servers I find I'm unable to watch 720p during peak hours, but am able to using Astrill. Sometime I even find VPNTraffic better than PIA. PIA seems to work better with putlocker and 180upload.

For China steam, Astrill still can lag during peak hours, but it's better than VPNTraffic. However, I ever managed to dl files with Xunlei VIP boost using VPNTraffic and gotten download speed of 2.5+MB/s. Astrill best CN server is actually proxy via US, which is why the speed is better, their direct CN server CMI. VPNTraffic is direct CN servers, offpeak hour streaming LeTV 720p normally no lag.

Most likely will not renew PIA, will just use Astrill and VPNTraffic as spare.:D Which is US$69.95 + US$35 per annual.

Just ordered a cheapo used modified netgear 614v9 (64MB RAM + 8MB Flash) which cost around S$25 shipped. Going to use it with Astrill applets and see how it turns out.:D

Wow... I was actually thinking of switching from Astrill to PIA! Astrill works ok for hulu plus but with netflix I can't seem to get a consistent 1080HD stream. Which Astrill server are you connecting to? I end up having to switch between Los Angeles 1, 2, World and Business. The speed really depends on the particular server within each cluster you get connected to and the speeds are not consistent across servers.

mengdeng

Reaction score
Wow... I was actually thinking of switching from Astrill to PIA! Astrill works ok for hulu plus but with netflix I can't seem to get a consistent 1080HD stream. Which Astrill server are you connecting to? I end up having to switch between Los Angeles 1, 2, World and Business. The speed really depends on the particular server within each cluster you get connected to and the speeds are not consistent across servers.

Try Singapore 1 (USA) server. TCP port 443. Hope it helps

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Opened up a trial account just for the sake of testing the china server in astrill but it's for full account users only.. defeats the purpose..

rainmanreigns

Reaction score
Opened up a trial account just for the sake of testing the china server in astrill but it's for full account users only.. defeats the purpose..

Why not sign up for a paid account and then ask for a refund within 7 days if the speed is not satisfactory.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, after I emailed astrill they changed the trial account to a full one with 3 days access. Customer service is great. Tried out the China vpn using my friend's MR 100Mbps fibre. Performance is satisfactory. But they only have one China server though and the speed varies at different times of the day.

But they have VAS like stealth vpn and router pro udp which is supposed to provide an overall speed boost but it costs an extra $5/mth and their subscription is already pretty steep at almost $70/12 mths.

Another bro mentioned vpntraffic is good. Tried a 3 day trial and it's total crap.

seasonscrystal

Reaction score
Another bro mentioned vpntraffic is good. Tried a 3 day trial and it's total crap.

That's cause you aren't connecting to the right servers;) They only give you 1 or 2 server address then assigned you to their highest priority server, if that server is full, they'll switch to another.

Haven't used VPNtraffic for a month (always on Astrill as they give 2 connections now), by memory there are 4-5 US servers, only 2 are good (can be as fast as Astrill). China server there are 3 I think, 1 that's most assigned to connection sux, the other one is fast but unstable (at time even faster than Astrill via US connection), the last one least assigned to but decent speed (faster than Astrill direct China connection).

VPNtraffic China (direct)

Astrill China 1 (via US)

Astrill China 2 (direct)
So slow it doesn't even load speedtest well.

VPNtraffic US

Astrill LA (World)

720p streams normally you only need 5mbps, so for streaming movies purpose, VPN traffic is sufficient on off peak hour. Peak hour will depends.:s13:

Edit: Tested VPNtraffic US on another server

For record, I'm using M1 200mbps fibre :)

Last edited:

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's cause you aren't connecting to the right servers;) They only give you 1 or 2 server address then assigned you to their highest priority server, if that server is full, they'll switch to another.

Haven't used VPNtraffic for a month (always on Astrill as they give 2 connections now), by memory there are 4-5 US servers, only 2 are good (can be as fast as Astrill). China server there are 3 I think, 1 that's most assigned to connection sux, the other one is fast but unstable (at time even faster than Astrill via US connection), the last one least assigned to but decent speed (faster than Astrill direct China connection).

VPNtraffic China (direct)

Astrill China 1 (via US)

Astrill China 2 (direct)
So slow it doesn't even load speedtest well.

VPNtraffic US

Astrill LA (World)

720p streams normally you only need 5mbps, so for streaming movies purpose, VPN traffic is sufficient on off peak hour. Peak hour will depends.:s13:

Edit: Tested VPNtraffic US on another server

For record, I'm using M1 200mbps fibre :)
Is VPNtraffic China (direct) = Los Angeles (China) & Astrill China 2 (direct) = China 2 (No Facebook) ?

As for VPNtraffic, it's crap because there's only 1 china server (cn.trafficvpn.com) and most of the time the connection drops halfway and/or there's no internet access though I can connect to it.. does not occur with astrill..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.