HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree576Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #2431
Master Member

If the VPN vendors are following China government policy, then there will no VPN targeting consumers because they are against the law. Only approved business organization can set up VPN for business use.

ExpressVPN, Nord and Astrill are some of the traditional VPN solutions known to work in China.

Then there are quite some many ShadowSocks (SS/SSR) solution providers which can bypass the great firewall (aka GFW) in China. They are usually faster than traditional VPN. There are new stuff like V2Ray and WireGuard.
Thanks for the info.

Set up a VPN on your own router or computer on your network.

I setup a openVPN server on my network for some of my relatives when they went to china and it worked fine.
Haha...I not sure how to do it

Nevermind, for the time being, stick to my pre-paid Starhub Happy roaming. At least still can access the sites that I need to. Just no unlimited data.

Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!
cstanhwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #2432

Nevermind, for the time being, stick to my pre-paid Starhub Happy roaming. At least still can access the sites that I need to. Just no unlimited data.
Yes StarHub prepaid is the way to go for short trip.

Other than the slower Seed4Me VPN (free trial for one year, iOS and Android), I also found another free one Turbo VPN (Android only, iOS app not in Singapore Apple App Store) which works in China as well and the speed is much faster (5.59Mbps down, 21.2Mbps up, from Digital Ocean server to SingTel server).

Review is pretty much not so good so it can probably be only for short time usage.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-12-2018 at 10:52 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #2433

Just landed in Kunming, Starhub post pay auto-roam work with WhatsApp and Facebook. No need VPN.
260Wolskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #2434
Master Member

Just landed in Kunming, Starhub post pay auto-roam work with WhatsApp and Facebook. No need VPN.
as long as it's not China SIM, there won't be any issue with social networking sites.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #2435

i like expressvpn but too pricey
tried Nord but didn't like it. slower speed & you don't really virtually appear as the country you connected to (e.g i may be connected to US server but somehow i still as as UK connection. strange ...

looking at surfshark now ... anyone can share their experiences with this VPN, any issues so far?

I've tried both Express and Nord over the course of two years. I ended up sticking with Nord simply because of the price. Between the two providers I didn't really feel a huge difference in the service quality so I decided I'll better save a few bucks a month. Both of them proved to be pretty good.
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #2436

i like expressvpn but too pricey
tried Nord but didn't like it. slower speed & you don't really virtually appear as the country you connected to (e.g i may be connected to US server but somehow i still as as UK connection. strange ...

looking at surfshark now ... anyone can share their experiences with this VPN, any issues so far?
I tried it for a few weeks. I did notice their servers are similar to what nordvpn resolves to when doing speed tests (ie Leaseweb, M247 etc) so I am thinking there is some reselling going on. Performance like Nord as well but they are a bit cheaper at 1.99 month.

I decided to terminate since i still have some nord left and the performance is the same. Refund process very easy and fast it got creditted to my paypal in 2 hours.
huge357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #2437

thanks for your sharing

unfortunately didn't have same experience like you with nord. connection to usa server may get resolved to uk location. and the speed tests were terrible.

I tried it for a few weeks. I did notice their servers are similar to what nordvpn resolves to when doing speed tests (ie Leaseweb, M247 etc) so I am thinking there is some reselling going on. Performance like Nord as well but they are a bit cheaper at 1.99 month.

I decided to terminate since i still have some nord left and the performance is the same. Refund process very easy and fast it got creditted to my paypal in 2 hours.
Old 24-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #2438

thanks for your sharing

unfortunately didn't have same experience like you with nord. connection to usa server may get resolved to uk location. and the speed tests were terrible.

Haha. Same experience for nord. I like express too but terminated due to pricing factor. Has good UI, good for streaming but not for torrenting. Worked well with my tv box though but i feel like i am under utilizing it for the price.

And then i went on to try surfshark. Their IKEv2(fastest) protocol on windows PC didnt work for me. Neither did it work for netflix on my andriod tv box.

Now thinking which vpn service to try next. I need one that can bypass netflix/kodi and good for torrent.
camile89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #2439

fortunately IKEv2 works for me ... speed was quite simiiar to openVPN (udp). speedwise pretty close to ISP

android client needs additional installs to add OpenVPN, i guess it didn't work for you coz it defaults to IKEv2

may i know what speed are you getting for netflix test (fast.com)? am gettng 13~18mbps which is borderline for 4K stream

Haha. Same experience for nord. I like express too but terminated due to pricing factor. Has good UI, good for streaming but not for torrenting. Worked well with my tv box though but i feel like i am under utilizing it for the price.

And then i went on to try surfshark. Their IKEv2(fastest) protocol on windows PC didnt work for me. Neither did it work for netflix on my andriod tv box.

Now thinking which vpn service to try next. I need one that can bypass netflix/kodi and good for torrent.
Old 25-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #2440
Supremacy Member

i had followed some threads here on WiFi VPN servers running but did not get conclusive answers. Mostly i see issues with limitations or multiple retries required.

Need help setting a new wireless router with a VPN paid account.

i just need a VPN wireless connectivity for Kodi and IPTV, while connect to general wifi for general use.

Any recommendation a wireless VPN AP and VPN provider?
Old 25-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #2441

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router

didn't try so can't comment
i had followed some threads here on WiFi VPN servers running but did not get conclusive answers. Mostly i see issues with limitations or multiple retries required.

i just need a VPN wireless connectivity for Kodi and IPTV, while connect to general wifi for general use.

Old 25-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #2442

What router are you using?
Old 25-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #2443

fortunately IKEv2 works for me ... speed was quite simiiar to openVPN (udp). speedwise pretty close to ISP

android client needs additional installs to add OpenVPN, i guess it didn't work for you coz it defaults to IKEv2

may i know what speed are you getting for netflix test (fast.com)? am gettng 13~18mbps which is borderline for 4K stream
I have terminated express. Waiting for refund. Previously connected to US server got about 20mbps (speedtest.net) for netflix.

I have not got any speed close to ISP while on vpn. Which ISP and router brand/model you using?
Old 25-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #2444
Supremacy Member

What router are you using?
i got 3 sets of DLINK DIR868L router.
Thinking to replace with one main router with a vpn router (wifi=vpn-ed)

Last edited by kevinlaikf; 25-12-2018 at 06:53 PM..
kevinlaikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #2445

M1 500mbps & asus rt-n56u … definitely budget series

better test with fast.com for netflix
I have terminated express. Waiting for refund. Previously connected to US server got about 20mbps (speedtest.net) for netflix.

I have not got any speed close to ISP while on vpn. Which ISP and router brand/model you using?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.