HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree577Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #2701
Master Member

Why online gaming need VPN? Not doing anything illegal, no need to hide. Performance is more impt.
why people always seem to have the impression that VPN = illegal / trying to hide illegal things???

so company requires staff to connect to company's system via VPN = the company is doing illegal things and trying to hide it?? lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #2702
Arch-Supremacy Member

use the routing table at the bottom under the openvpn client tab..

firstly please make sure you have reserved static IP for those devices..

the last radio button is a killswitch for the selected devices. if you select "yes", no internet traffic will be allowed on the listed devices if your vpn server is disconnected. if you select "no", then the listed devices will fallback and connect to the public WAN again.

the routing policy in this pic is set for the listed devices to connect thru vpn while all non listed devices to connect thru public WAN.

just need to click on source IP dropdown list to select the device, then click Iface dropdown and select VPN and click add.. destination will be auto populated as 0.0.0.0.

if you wish to do the opposite and have the devices in the list to have public WAN access while all others on VPN, select WAN instead of VPN under the "Iface" dropdown list when adding the device/source IP.

*edit* sorry forget to mention something important. you need to change the "Redirect Internet Traffic" option first before the policy routing table will even appear..
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZRmBJXm.jpg[/mg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tfGO0YU.jpg[img]

Thanks!

10 chars

Last edited by mun_hoe; 17-03-2019 at 09:30 PM..
mun_hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #2703
Supremacy Member

Hi guys, for windscribe there is an option to he connect to Singapore, which connection signal is best. What does this connection mean? Still shielded?
MaoZeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #2704
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi all

Got some networking qns abt vpn

How can i set up my own home vpn? Is using raspberry pi the only method?
Jerroldscv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #2705
Master Member

Hi guys, for windscribe there is an option to he connect to Singapore, which connection signal is best. What does this connection mean? Still shielded?
it means you are connected via windscribe to a VPN server that is nearest to you..

connecting to a VPN company's SG server when you are physically in SG give you a tunnelled connection that would be potentially be faster in speed and lower in latency.

connecting to a VPN company's <<far away country>> server when you are physically far from it would give you a tunnelled connection that would potentially give you very high latency and slow speed.

TL;DR.

the VPN "tunnel" that is covering you doesn't magically disappear just because you are physically in the same location as the VPN server you are connected to. in fact I don't see a reason to connect to other country's servers unless you require features like geolocation unblocking.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT
Old 18-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #2706
Arch-Supremacy Member

it means you are connected via windscribe to a VPN server that is nearest to you..

connecting to a VPN company's SG server when you are physically in SG give you a tunnelled connection that would be potentially be faster in speed and lower in latency.

connecting to a VPN company's <<far away country>> server when you are physically far from it would give you a tunnelled connection that would potentially give you very high latency and slow speed.

TL;DR.

the VPN "tunnel" that is covering you doesn't magically disappear just because you are physically in the same location as the VPN server you are connected to. in fact I don't see a reason to connect to other country's servers unless you require features like geolocation unblocking.

Charlie
Mind if i pm u abt vpn problems?
I need some help
Maybe seek yr advice
Old 18-03-2019, 02:06 AM   #2707
Supremacy Member

TL;DR.

Many thanks!
MaoZeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #2708
Master Member

Charlie
Mind if i pm u abt vpn problems?
I need some help
Maybe seek yr advice
I can try but no promises especially if your "problem" requires too much effort for me to type out as a reply to you.. I am currently not in sg until someone around mid of April so I only browse when I have the time privilege of given time.

not sure if anyone else realised but windscribe's VPN server for Netflix Japan is now up and running already.

**edit**
and WindFlix Canada as well!

so now windscribe have 4 Netflix Servers.
- US
- UK
- CA
- JP

Last edited by Charlie_Zhan; 18-03-2019 at 02:43 AM..
Old 18-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #2709
Arch-Supremacy Member

I can try but no promises especially if your "problem" requires too much effort for me to type out as a reply to you.. I am currently not in sg until someone around mid of April so I only browse when I have the time privilege of given time.

not sure if anyone else realised but windscribe's VPN server for Netflix Japan is now up and running already.

**edit**
and WindFlix Canada as well!

so now windscribe have 4 Netflix Servers.
- US
- UK
- CA
- JP

No rush
Just pm u
Old 18-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #2710
Master Member

No rush
Just pm u
received your PM and I think this may be exactly what you want..

using raspberry pi to create a VPN server for you to access the local network secured and remotely..

Old 21-03-2019, 03:56 AM   #2711

Charlie_Zhan, your ability to explain the workings of the VPNs is extraordinary, I tried split-tunneling only on App level and your images/walkthrough on how to do it on a router is 100% to the point, thanks a lot.

For Surfshark users you can find that they now support SmartDNS. I was somewhat surprised because I didn't think they'll release this feature at all, TBH I thought they will just start adding more servers. Anyway, if you login to your account on their web page you should see SmartDNS option available.

To put it short SmartDNS IMHO should only be used to bypass geographical restrictions because at its core it's just a proxy DNS. Meaning your traffic will be unencrypted and remain visible to your ISP or whoever is watching. But if you just want to bypass some geo-blocks then SmartDNS will provide you with better speeds for streaming. There's not a lot of info online how exactly SmartDNS works but I found some useful stuff here and here. I know Netflix bans blocks of IP addresses so maybe SmartDNS function will provide better speed AND a more stable access, not that I had any troubles bypassing blocks before while on this VPN.

Last edited by urbanbootless; 21-03-2019 at 04:04 AM..
urbanbootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #2712
Arch-Supremacy Member

Charlie_Zhan, your ability to explain the workings of the VPNs is extraordinary, I tried split-tunneling only on App level and your images/walkthrough on how to do it on a router is 100% to the point, thanks a lot.

For Surfshark users you can find that they now support SmartDNS. I was somewhat surprised because I didn't think they'll release this feature at all, TBH I thought they will just start adding more servers. Anyway, if you login to your account on their web page you should see SmartDNS option available.

To put it short SmartDNS IMHO should only be used to bypass geographical restrictions because at its core it's just a proxy DNS. Meaning your traffic will be unencrypted and remain visible to your ISP or whoever is watching. But if you just want to bypass some geo-blocks then SmartDNS will provide you with better speeds for streaming. There's not a lot of info online how exactly SmartDNS works but I found some useful stuff here and here. I know Netflix bans blocks of IP addresses so maybe SmartDNS function will provide better speed AND a more stable access, not that I had any troubles bypassing blocks before while on this VPN.
this is bestest!
urbanbootless likes this.
mun_hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #2713
Master Member

glad to know that my rough and brief written guide and images could be helpful those who are keen to set up VPN on their router but are concerned that creating split tunneling to whitelist some particular devices would be too complicated.

Old 23-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #2714
Arch-Supremacy Member

share Express VPN login password for testing purpose PM me
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #2715

how can I use VPN.ac to watch chinese drama on iqiyi? I just paid for VPN.ac and connect to taiwan server but iqiyi & mi video can't load.
ray12323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.