Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Aliyun is not cheap
2) China bandwith is at least 10x international rate.
3) cheap China bandwith = lousy speed and latency
4) you can not surf facebook if vps is hosted in China unless you relay the connection out.
5) try Hongkong server

Thanks for the insights.
4 is not a problem. 1,2,3 are the real problems.

HK server does not seem to help in terms of unblocking China contents.

For now I am happy with free Transocks, SpeedCN and 爱加速, with FlyVPN, SpeedIn and SpeedIn as backup. They are good at 720p and I feel 720p is good enough on my P20 FHD phone or my 24inch FHD LCD monitor.

For 1080p sometimes the above solution will struggle a bit. I do not have 4k display now so the goal is to have smooth 1080p.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried one SS Japanese server and it still failed.

I will probably try a few other free SS severs to see if really SS is effective or not to unblock abema.tv.

It is said that data centre IP addresses will be blocked whereas residential IP address will work. In that case, SS will not help.

For SingTel TV Go and Toggle, I tried V2Ray and SS severs in China and none of them works. Probably it is the same, data centre IP addresses are blocked. So the solution is probably setting up a VPN server at home.

abema.tv is working on windflix japan tho

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It isn't. I have a windscribe sub and abema definitely isn't working

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

https://www.reddit.com/r/JTV/comments/cdxnfd/any_abema_tv_vpn_that_works/

It is said that Japanese residential VPN by NetflixVPN works with abema.tv.
https://www.netflixvpn.com/article/Japan_Residential_VPN

And then abema.tv is now available outside of Japan, so probably more chances to get it working.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/ax8wg8/abematv_is_now_available_outside_japan/

Last edited:

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It isn't. I have a windscribe sub and abema definitely isn't working

working fine with the chrome extension. am on a pro lifetime sub

fPOXTQb.jpg

actually i think some of the free japan servers on vpngate will work too
maybe someone cld try

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

maybe someone cld try

Yes that is correct. Just tried two Japan servers from vpngate, one does not work and one works with abema.tv.

Tested on my Huawei P20 Android phone and the Abema app from Google Play Store. Without VPN only world news is available. With VPN, I randomly tested a few channels including the live sports tennis match and all are working.

Unfortunately I only learned one year of Japanese and forgot 90% of what I have learned ...

Last edited:

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
coz i think some vpngate servers are run home residentials
thats why it would work lol

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

fPOXTQb.jpg

maybe someone cld try

Surprisingly, it works with the Android TV os but not with phone/tablet

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If cost is not a factor
Wats the best speed vpn avail?
US only

In that case, set up your own VPN server by renting a server in a top notch data center in a US location say LA or New York.

But if you are looking at existing VPN vendors, I guess it will depends on location but you can look at vendors like ExpressVPN, Astrill and Speedify as a start.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a Huawei M5 Lite China version without Google Play Services (mainly used for Chinese apps so no intention to install Google Play Services). Then I tried a few VPN or SS/V2Ray client, only purevpn (which I paid for) needs Google Play Services to run.

No issues with free version of Astrill, Windscribe and Speedify. Tunesafe also works.

SS, SSRR, V2Ray NG, Outline and OpenVPN connect client apps are also working well.

Going into China VPNs like Transocks, SpeedIn, SpeedCN, AJS爱加速 and UfunR are also working.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you test 愛加速 on windows pc? Because it did not work for me. Was trying to watch 慶餘年.

I found a licensed YouTube Channel for 庆余年. You can use US VPN to access YouTube channel 优优独播剧场.

It is blocked in Singapore but licensed in US. I tested purevpn US sever and it works. That channel is operated by a company specialized in bring China IP to overseas market.
http://www.100uu.com.cn/

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
surfshark has USD 0.18 per month promo for 27 months

Wow, they really want to drive the other players out of the market. But how can they be profitable with such low cost? Any hidden terms and conditions?

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow, they really want to drive the other players out of the market. But how can they be profitable with such low cost? Any hidden terms and conditions?
I just extended my contract with Surfshark :)

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.