HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree576Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #331
Supremacy Member

Anyone using StrongVPN? I've narrowed down my choices to StrongVPN and Astrill, seems the most established.

Tried VyprVPN trail, but connection speed is quite slow. Wonder if it has anything to do with the app i downloaded from Playstore. Is it better to establish the VPN connection manually or use the app? Or no diff?
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #332
Arch-Supremacy Member

ask around and my friends recommended the following, anyone else using them??

1) HMA
2) VPN express
3) witopia
4) Onavo

I also read good review about VyprVPN...almost wanted to try..
Old 13-04-2014, 03:30 AM   #333
Supremacy Member

Those ang mo revew bo eng 1. Best is to compare the speed tests by our local users
apriliasiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #334

Those ang mo revew bo eng 1. Best is to compare the speed tests by our local users
Speedtest is inaccurate when testing the streaming & P2P prowess of a VPN connection.

I'm currently subscribed to Astrill and PIA. PIA gives me better speedtest result but when it comes to streaming and P2P downloading, Astrill owns PIA anytime of the day.

I'd recommend any potential VPN user to get a trial subscription (or pay for 1-mth) and test for yourself which VPN service performs best when connecting via your ISP.
Old 13-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #335
Arch-Supremacy Member

so for M1 user..any recommmendation ?
Old 13-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #336
Supremacy Member

Speedtest is inaccurate when testing the streaming & P2P prowess of a VPN connection.

I'm currently subscribed to Astrill and PIA. PIA gives me better speedtest result but when it comes to streaming and P2P downloading, Astrill owns PIA anytime of the day.

I'd recommend any potential VPN user to get a trial subscription (or pay for 1-mth) and test for yourself which VPN service performs best when connecting via your ISP.
So Astrill should be one of the best one out there for SG users?
apriliasiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #337

hi guys, I'm looking to reactivate my VPN subscription and considering using StrongVPN again. are there any better/ cheaper alternatives that you might know of?

also I'm intending to use my VPN account on my PS3 and WDTV Live Media player. for that to happen, i think i need to change my current CISCO DPC3925 router that comes with my Starhub 100mbps plan. any suggestions on what is a good & cheap replacement that will allow me to do the above?

thanks for the input bros
Old 13-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #338

So Astrill should be one of the best one out there for SG users?
You can refer to these VPN threads

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ne...s-4618545.html

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/in...3316864-4.html
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #339

Cheap doesn't means good. Reliable is more important. And safety also very important. I've tried hola unbroker, got funny thing happened to my computer, I've to re-installed OS.

An UK expat recommended ukustvasia.com VPN to me. Good streaming result.

If keen , can try, free 10-days trial.

You may contact Jenny at cs@ukustvasia.com for quick trial account.

rate:

Monthly Subscription: USD15.8 discounted to USD12.8/month
Prepaid 6-month: USD14.8 discounted to USD11.8/month
Prepaid 3-month: USD12.8 discounted to USD9.8/month
Prepaid 1-year: USD9.8 discounted to USD7.8/month
powermen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #340

Hi people,

anyone has any experiences using vpn in china using mac? Next year ill be gg to shanghai for a year and is considering to buy a macbook to use. However my fren told me google youtube facebook all banned.....anyone tried using vpn in china with mac can advise?
aamaterasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #341
High Supremacy Member

Why not get the VPN only when ure in China. Ull never know when they clamp down on blocking the VPN.
hacktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #342

I'm in Beijing now and using Astrill on a Mac. Was using VyprVPN but their speeds and connection was disappointing so I switched to Astrill. Facebook, Youtube, torrents all work fine even when I'm only on a 4mbs ADSL connection. Anything else relating to China's internet can ask me.
iCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #343
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello,

I'm sorry that you have speed problems with our service. Our service is fast in most ports of the word and we have lots of customers from Singapore. Astrill is one of preferred services among Singapore customers which you can easily check by googling. Therefore, I'm not sure why you have speed issues. If the speed gets throttled over time - it's apparently caused by your ISP doing some nasty things. This is something we cannot fix. International bandwidth in Singapore is expensive and your ISP doesn't guarantee it. All you get is fast speed within the country. Please try to switch to TCP protocol and ports like 443 and 80 to avoid ISP throttling.

If your PC is connected wirelessly, try to connect it via LAN cable. Weak WiFi connection can cause speed degradation. If you have some packet optimizers like CFosSpeed or similar network shaping software - it can degrade speed in most cases, so I recommend you to remove any such software. If the speed was good during your trial, there is no reason why it would be slow now - at least not caused by Astrill. Either your ISP did some changes (enabled throttling for your account due to excessive international traffic usage) or you made some changes to your PC (e.g installed some new software).

If you use video streaming based on P2P and connect to our Netherlands server however most of the peers are outside of the Netherlands, how can you expect fast speeds ? This is not the fault of our service, but underlying P2P technology.

Unfortunately we do not offer refunds, all sales are final - which is explained in our Refund Policy which you have read and accepted during signup. We can only assist you with issues caused by our service. If the problem is not at our end, we can give only advices. I can only assure you that our network works without issues. All our Netherlands servers are on gigabit connections and there is many servers in the cluster. Our load is below 30% most of the time and speeds are blazingly fast in the whole Europe, USA, Canada. I cannot speak for Asian countries as most of them lack international bandwidth. There is a speed test tool in Help menu which you can use to find server which is fastest for your location.

If you need further assistance, please get back to us.

Best Regards,
Astrill Level3 Support
Disappointed after i paid. Gave my whole computer and router settings for them to fix through TeamViewer, took 3whole hours, they messed up my computer configurations instead...

They do not take responsibilities at all. And when i tried to find their governing body, it's NOT under the US LAW!

Don't sign up for Astrill. It's really horrifying. Their service is one of the worst i've seen, it may seem good at first with easy questions, but when they can't fix it, they blame everything on the consumers instead. What a douche.
Salapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #344

Disappointed after i paid. Gave my whole computer and router settings for them to fix through TeamViewer, took 3whole hours, they messed up my computer configurations instead...

They do not take responsibilities at all. And when i tried to find their governing body, it's NOT under the US LAW!

Don't sign up for Astrill. It's really horrifying. Their service is one of the worst i've seen, it may seem good at first with easy questions, but when they can't fix it, they blame everything on the consumers instead. What a douche.
Not sure what you were trying to do with their VPN servers but it helps to choose the correct country's server for streaming video that is hosted in that particular country.

Personally, I've been very impressed with their servers for the media streaming capability that I've actually just added on the Home Plan option @ US$5 / mth so that I can have more connections to their various servers.

BTW, I'll never allow anyone to bypass my firewall much less gain access to my PC via Teamviewer.
oric1, Asakura and Salapi like this.
Old 29-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #345
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not sure what you were trying to do with their VPN servers but it helps to choose the correct country's server for streaming video that is hosted in that particular country.

Personally, I've been very impressed with their servers for the media streaming capability that I've actually just added on the Home Plan option @ US$5 / mth so that I can have more connections to their various servers.

BTW, I'll never allow anyone to bypass my firewall much less gain access to my PC via Teamviewer.
Now that Hulu block VPN any issue with the current ones on offer?
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.