HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree595Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #3616

Easter Egg in Surfshark on Windows

As I can see many of us here use Surfshark I'm pretty sure I've got something you didn't know.

I updated my app today to be able to turn on dark mode (yes, that's also new) and I found an easter egg Looks like some Star Wars inspired theme.

Just switch on dark mode in the settings > then click on the menu icon next to the 'fastest server' in the blue Connect button and there it is, the Hyperspace option. It's pretty nicely done, has anybody seen this before? I'd add a gif, but have no idea if I can do that on this forum
Cirevek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #3617
Master Member

Hi guys,

anyone can share the Surfshark $0.80 promo code

thanks!
twist_shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #3618
Master Member

Hi guys,

anyone can share the Surfshark $0.80 promo code

thanks!
U should get it in yr inbox.

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 01:38 AM   #3619
Master Member

As I can see many of us here use Surfshark I'm pretty sure I've got something you didn't know.

I updated my app today to be able to turn on dark mode (yes, that's also new) and I found an easter egg Looks like some Star Wars inspired theme.

Just switch on dark mode in the settings > then click on the menu icon next to the 'fastest server' in the blue Connect button and there it is, the Hyperspace option. It's pretty nicely done, has anybody seen this before? I'd add a gif, but have no idea if I can do that on this forum
https://medium.com/@jahimfernandes/s...n-4075a021fea3

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #3620

Wondering if there's any networking pro who can advise on how to accomplish my dream setup.

Currently, I am able to access US Netflix with ExpressVPN MediaStreamer DNS on my LG TV (thank god the Netflix app in WebOS doesn't have hardcoded DNS). I'm happy with it. Speed is great unlike accessing through VPN which is an absolutely terrible streaming experience (total waste of the 4K subscription plan). The problem lies in going back and forth on changing the DNS whenever I want to check out stuff in the SG library.

Given that I have an Nvidia Shield as well, I figured why not get US Netflix on Nvidia Shield and watch SG Netflix on LG webOS Netflix app. There's just a problem, as you know, Netflix for Android has hardcoded DNS. Googling for solutions seems to indicate that one can bypass the hardcoded DNS through static routes, hence I thought the optimal solution would be the following:

-main router standard settings and LG TV connects to main router to get SG Netflix
-secondary router connected as second network (main router LAN to secondary router WAN) with MediaStreamer DNS configured in secondary router
-secondary router blocks Google DNS and known Netflix DNS through the use of static routes (see https://www.tipsforchina.com/best-vpn-for-netflix.html)
-nvidia shield connects to secondary router to access US Netflix

I've literally spent the whole of yesterday until now attempting to do this. It has been... frustrating. Oddly enough, this works for my Android phone and I am able to access US Netflix, but when I try to access US Netflix on my Shield TV, it loads till 24% and errors out. Has anyone managed to get such a setup going?
kira.yiktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 04:07 AM   #3621

@kira.yiktah why don't you just set MediaStreamer DNS on Nvidia Shield and leave default DNS settings on LG? This way you would achieve what you want. There is no need to force DNS via router or even use 2 routers... Also if you have Asus router with Merlin firmware in DNSFilter tab you can assign DNS per device. This would allow you to set a local SG DNS global for all devices and the custom MediaStreamer DNS for Nvidia Shield.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #3622
Master Member

Given that I have an Nvidia Shield as well, I figured why not get US Netflix on Nvidia Shield and watch SG Netflix on LG webOS Netflix app. There's just a problem, as you know, Netflix for Android has hardcoded DNS. Googling for solutions seems to indicate that one can bypass the hardcoded DNS through static routes, hence I thought the optimal solution would be the following:

-main router standard settings and LG TV connects to main router to get SG Netflix
-secondary router connected as second network (main router LAN to secondary router WAN) with MediaStreamer DNS configured in secondary router
-secondary router blocks Google DNS and known Netflix DNS through the use of static routes (see https://www.tipsforchina.com/best-vpn-for-netflix.html)
-nvidia shield connects to secondary router to access US Netflix
I do not think you need 2nd router.

Try the following.
1) In your main router set up Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This will not affect your LG TV or other devices.

2) Set up MediaStreamer DNS in Nvidia Shield TV and do not mess with any other DNS settings. Turn off location services. Check if this works for US Netflix.

3) If the above does not work ( I do not use Netflix so I can not test), then try ExpressVPN app on the Nvidia Shield TV to see if you are able to get enough bandwidth to have 4k. You may need to change to different servers to try. The good thing is that you can on/off the VPN to switch between SG/US.

Last edited by xiaofan; 17-12-2019 at 01:07 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #3623

Appreciate your replies @stiwipl and @xiaofan, but I think you missed my point regarding the limitations of the Netflix app in Nvidia Shield. The Netflix app for Android TV has a hardcoded DNS. To be clear, I have done what you both suggested which is to set mediastreamer DNS in the networking section of the Nvidia Shield. This does display the US library but the US titles won't actually play and the proxy error message pops out because the Netflix app for Android TV has hardcoded DNS to detect location. Hence the whole roundabout way of blocking Google DNS and other known Netflix DNS.
Old 17-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #3624
Master Member

Appreciate your replies @stiwipl and @xiaofan, but I think you missed my point regarding the limitations of the Netflix app in Nvidia Shield. The Netflix app for Android TV has a hardcoded DNS. To be clear, I have done what you both suggested which is to set mediastreamer DNS in the networking section of the Nvidia Shield. This does display the US library but the US titles won't actually play and the proxy error message pops out because the Netflix app for Android TV has hardcoded DNS to detect location. Hence the whole roundabout way of blocking Google DNS and other known Netflix DNS.
There are people here who are using Nvidia Shield TV and watch Netflix US. Hopefully they can chime in and answer your question.

The other thing is that you should also contact ExpressVPN for support.

I am using purevpn with much less good name but the customer support is pretty helpful.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #3625

Why not just use your LG TV for US content and Nvidia Shield for SG content? Btw what movies/shows does Netflix SG has that Netflix US does not?
bodohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #3626

There are people here who are using Nvidia Shield TV and watch Netflix US. Hopefully they can chime in and answer your question.

The other thing is that you should also contact ExpressVPN for support.

I am using purevpn with much less good name but the customer support is pretty helpful.
They're probably watching through the VPN app and are connected through VPN. The speed takes quite a beating that way and 4K streams are nigh impossible. Heck, sometimes it slows to a 480p or 360p stream. Intolerable.

Anyone using strictly VPN able to get US Netflix at 4K stream with no lag?
Old 17-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #3627

Why not just use your LG TV for US content and Nvidia Shield for SG content? Btw what movies/shows does Netflix SG has that Netflix US does not?
I know right? That's the most sensible way, I agree. Only 1 problem. If I set it up this way, I lose Hulu on my Nvidia Shield since my Shield wouldn't be set up with the US-spoofing DNS. I have figured out a solution for this but it requires me to get a decent programmable remote / phone with IR blaster: I gotta enter the LG TV service menu and change country code to the US and then download the Hulu app on the LG TV. This way, it's all settled.
Old 17-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #3628

They're probably watching through the VPN app and are connected through VPN. The speed takes quite a beating that way and 4K streams are nigh impossible. Heck, sometimes it slows to a 480p or 360p stream. Intolerable.

Anyone using strictly VPN able to get US Netflix at 4K stream with no lag?
I know right? That's the most sensible way, I agree. Only 1 problem. If I set it up this way, I lose Hulu on my Nvidia Shield since my Shield wouldn't be set up with the US-spoofing DNS. I have figured out a solution for this but it requires me to get a decent programmable remote / phone with IR blaster: I gotta enter the LG TV service menu and change country code to the US and then download the Hulu app on the LG TV. This way, it's all settled.
I am able run 4K content on Netflix and other US/Canada Apps on my Apple TV but I am running through ExpressVPN’s OpenVPN client on my Asus Router. Tried using the same server on my Mi Box S while using the Express VPN app and could only sometimes hit 25Mbps with the OpenVPN setup I can hit about 250Mbps. Quite satisfied with this setup.

Your second solution seems more sensible but does the native LG Netflix app have better performance than your Nvidia Sheild? If yes then maybe can just get the remote to download the apps then after that return/exchange the remote.
bodohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #3629

Bro, which server are you connected to? I might just follow suit and configure ExpressVPN OpenVPN client on my second router (DIR 868L flashed to DD WRT). You can hit 4K streams swee swee through this setup? I just tested Washington DC server using the ExpressVPN app on my Nvidia Shield and while Disney+ seems to stream decently, Netflix was blah. I think it was 480p, lol.
Old 17-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #3630

I am able run 4K content on Netflix and other US/Canada Apps on my Apple TV but I am running through ExpressVPNís OpenVPN client on my Asus Router. Tried using the same server on my Mi Box S while using the Express VPN app and could only sometimes hit 25Mbps with the OpenVPN setup I can hit about 250Mbps. Quite satisfied with this setup.

Your second solution seems more sensible but does the native LG Netflix app have better performance than your Nvidia Sheild? If yes then maybe can just get the remote to download the apps then after that return/exchange the remote.
Holy moley, I didn't know that Merlin supports AiMesh already. Ok, to the other expert bros out there like charlie_zhan, should I flash my AC5300 and AC68U to Merlin? Currently I'm on stock Asus firmware with AC5300 as router and AC68U as node. I'm guessing bodohboy used Merlin because he can set split tunneling and so only the Nvidia Shield is on the US VPN, correct? Can teach me how to do this setup?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.