Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using ExpressVPN

My Internet: 1Gbps
My Wireless Connection: 350Mbps (down & up)

With ExpressVPN: 86Mbps (down), 130Mbps (up)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Old test results done in Jan 2019 from this thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed-3807778-194.html

most VPN provider that I tested will slow down your download and upload speed even when you are connected to their nearest server. The % of download and upload speed that you can achieve when connecting to VPN vs without vpn differ between each VPN provider. Most VPN could reach 20-30% of possible speed. A few of them may be around 6-20%. Speedify consistently achieve 80% and above but they don't support Netflix streaming.

Most of them claim to have no log policy but it depends how you define what is consider no log. All of them have to have some kind of tracking on the number of concurrent connection to their server (since they limit to 5 or less connection) with exception of Windscribe that has unlimited connection.

My last speedtest in Singapore against Singapore server back in January are as follows:-

M1 1GBps fibre via LAN. Without VPN download and upload are btw 816-939Mbps

Achievable download speed
Speedify 81.4% @729Mbps
Tunnelbear 29.3% @270Mbps
Windscribe 28.9% @261Mbps
VPN Unlimited 27.2% @255Mbps
Cyberghost 25.7% @234Mbps
Buffered VPN 22.8% @209Mbps
NordVPN 21.5% @197Mbps
PIA 20.4% @184Mbps
ivacy 20% @169Mbps
ExpressVPN 16.2% @144Mbps
HMA 16.2% @137Mbps
IVPN 15% @135Mbps
SaferVPN 10.6% @94Mbps
Astrill 6.7% @61Mbps

Achievable upload speed
Speedify over 86.9% @800Mbps++
Windscribe 32.5% @280Mbps
VPN Unlimited 28.8% @254Mbps
NordVPN 29.8% @243Mbps
Cyberghost 26.8% 240Mbps
PIA 25.8% @223Mbps
Buffered VPN 24.5% @208Mbps
HMA 23.5% @202Mbps
Tunnelbear 22.4% @192Mbps
SaferVPN 21% @179Mbps
ExpressVPN 15.5% @140Mbps
IVPN 16% @138Mbps
IVACY 12.7% @112Mbps
Astrill 5.9% @51Mbps

I will run another speedtest and will post the results here next week.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surfshark test results using the faster Wireguard protocol in Sept 2020. (Page 326 in this thread).
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed-3807778-326.html

Direct to my ISP:
Pk08KWh.jpg

Wireguard on v2.7.1:
Onu4RD7.jpg

Connected to SG server:
6H2tSDh.jpg

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surfshark may be slow if you need to use OpenVPN protocol.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed-3807778-200.html
Emailed Surfshark support & tried their method but no improvement so waiting for their reply.

Speed tests were done on a wired connection running Windows 10 with Speedtest app.

1) Connection = Direct, No VPN
Server Ping Download (Mbps) Upload (Mbps)
Singapore 2 577.30 574.77

2) Connection = OpenVPN, TCP
Singapore 361 5.00 18.00

3) Connection = OpenVPN, UDP
Singapore 182 24.71 6.85

4) Connection = IKEv2
Singapore 181 38.50 45.41

Disabled the NetBIOS over TCP/IP and executed commands as specified in support email.

1) Connection = Direct, No VPN
Singapore 1 575.24 577.75

2) Connection = OpenVPN, TCP
Singapore 369 1.91 21.70

3) Connection = OpenVPN, UDP
Singapore 180 9.40 189.19

4) Connection = IKEv2
Singapore 213 35.25 32.35

The ping is very high (>150 ms) when my ISP and the servers are located in the same country.

I was expecting around 100 to 150 Mbps download speed when connecting to a VPN server in the same country as my ISP.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
congrats. singtel just took you on a long route to the US and back just to connect to a vpn node located within sg despite being an enterprise customer.

It is just a Speedtest results using the SingTel Test server.

You are right that Singtel routing is not good as seen in the high ping value for the Speedtest.

But why do you think Surfshark/Datacamp is using SingTel services as an enterprise customer? I can not see that from the Speedtest result.

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see my test results being quoted.

I believe Surfshark has improved when I am connected to their SG servers.

Using Openvpn UDP, my avg ping is 3x ms, 100 to 120 mb both down & up.

Totally don't understand the Sintel long route to USA comments.

camile89

Reaction score
if anyone is interested in getting effectively free surfshark for 2 years+3months during this black friday period, pm me for details.

it is through referral and cashback, so I won't be posting it here.

Hi, PM-ed you.

Posted from PCWX using SM-N975F

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see my test results being quoted.

I believe Surfshark has improved when I am connected to their SG servers.

Using Openvpn UDP, my avg ping is 3x ms, 100 to 120 mb both down & up.

Totally don't understand the Sintel long route to USA comments.

Speed is one thing, sometimes latency is more important, for example, in gaming. So your old test result shows high ping from Surfshark SG server to SingTel Speedtest server, which may not be Surfshark problem but SingTel problem. If you now get 3x ms then it is not bad.

If you look at Proximus test results of NordVPN from VQ, not only that speed is excellent but also very low ping.

Edit to add: I am using SingTel myself and I can see high ping to purevpn SG server as well.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why no one talk abt torguard???

Over the past year, this thread mainly talks about Surfshark and then followed by NordVPN because of the referral code and cashback.

Then there are a few posts about China VPNs like Transocks and AJS.

Other than that, ExpressVPN, Windscribe, purevpn and IVacy got mentioned a few times.

Other VPNs like PIA, Cyberghost, IPvanish, HMA, VyprVPN, Torguard and TunnelBear, are probably good too but it is hard to beat Surfshark and NordVPN. PIA used to be mentioned more often but not this year.

NordVPN is consistently listed as one of the top VPN vendors in various websites (often just behind ExpressVPN). Surfshark is the rising star and is also consistently listed as one of the top VPNs (often behind ExpressVPN and NordVPN). You can give the websites a pinch of salt but it is kind of representative already.

The major top VPN which is consistently not on the list is Astrill.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still waiting for expressvpn's attractive promo/discount. mine due for renewal soon in feb.

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why no one talk abt torguard???

https://torguard.net/cart.php

No cashback but quite a good offer IMO (used Torguard for 2 years)

Product Group = Black Friday

Promotion Code = blackfriday

2 years sub = USD49.99

"Our Black Friday Deal
We want to show you just how much we appreciate you for being a part of the TorGuard family. This year, we’ve cooked up something special for Black Friday. Purchase TorGuard for two years at 50% off and get one year of our 20GB encrypted email and file sharing service PrivateMail for free. We’ll also give you a free TorGuard Streaming IP to help you watch content from all around the world – no matter where you’re located!"

Wu-Han Clan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Over the past year, this thread mainly talks about Surfshark and then followed by NordVPN because of the referral code and cashback.

Then there are a few posts about China VPNs like Transocks and AJS.

Other than that, ExpressVPN, Windscribe, purevpn and IVacy got mentioned a few times.

Other VPNs like PIA, Cyberghost, IPvanish, HMA, VyprVPN, Torguard and TunnelBear, are probably good too but it is hard to beat Surfshark and NordVPN. PIA used to be mentioned more often but not this year.

NordVPN is consistently listed as one of the top VPN vendors in various websites (often just behind ExpressVPN). Surfshark is the rising star and is also consistently listed as one of the top VPNs (often behind ExpressVPN and NordVPN). You can give the websites a pinch of salt but it is kind of representative already.

The major top VPN which is consistently not on the list is Astrill.

https://torguard.net/cart.php

No cashback but quite a good offer IMO (used Torguard for 2 years)

Product Group = Black Friday

Promotion Code = blackfriday

2 years sub = USD49.99

"Our Black Friday Deal
We want to show you just how much we appreciate you for being a part of the TorGuard family. This year, we’ve cooked up something special for Black Friday. Purchase TorGuard for two years at 50% off and get one year of our 20GB encrypted email and file sharing service PrivateMail for free. We’ll also give you a free TorGuard Streaming IP to help you watch content from all around the world – no matter where you’re located!"

thanks for sharing... i thought this thread was to share info on the best vpn provider and then price/discount will be second consideration..... instead of vice versa...
anyway right.... i read pia was good but they recently sold the company to a 3rd/4th rate vpn company so the subreddit got customers say they will jump ship after their contract ends....

also hor.. when i google vpn list ranking comparison... the cheaper vpns everyone is reco here are the tier 3 types... are they still good even though they are bottom ranked????

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing... i thought this thread was to share info on the best vpn provider and then price/discount will be second consideration..... instead of vice versa...
anyway right.... i read pia was good but they recently sold the company to a 3rd/4th rate vpn company so the subreddit got customers say they will jump ship after their contract ends....

also hor.. when i google vpn list ranking comparison... the cheaper vpns everyone is reco here are the tier 3 types... are they still good even though they are bottom ranked????

yeap it’s true.. i’ve been a subscriber of PIA for the last 3 years but i will not be extending my subscription after this current one ends. in fact i’ve almost totally stopped using it for a long time and only use Windscribe full time. sadly this year BFCM windscribe no longer have any listing on stacksocial else i would definitely buy another subscription package to extend my current one which ends in december 2024.

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone got referral code etc. for Nord or SurfShark?

I only use it occasionally for torrents and to unblock netflix/eurosports player.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
Someone PM'ed me a cashback for SurfShark.

And I think Shopback for NordVPN, now i'm trying to figure out which has better speeds because I have never tried both before.

The last time I bought a 1yr plan due to Black Friday was PureVPN years back, instant regret..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.