Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Slpy

Master Member
Reaction score
mine gonna expire in 7 days
was pretty happy with cyberghost 5euro promotion last year
any other recommendations? they currently have the snowden edition for sgd$17

elpibe10

Reaction score
mine gonna expire in 7 days
was pretty happy with cyberghost 5euro promotion last year
any other recommendations? they currently have the snowden edition for sgd$17

That's only for 1 device. They have another annual subscription offer @ US$7 for 5 devices.

Just signed up for fun since it's so cheap (I'm already on Astrill, TorGuard & PIA) =:p

luckyguitar

Reaction score
That's only for 1 device. They have another annual subscription offer @ US$7 for 5 devices.

Just signed up for fun since it's so cheap (I'm already on Astrill, TorGuard & PIA) =:p

Can provide some feedback on Torguard? I need it mainly for streaming videos like Huluplus, Sports etc. Want to know if they are faster or as good as Astrill.

elpibe10

Reaction score
Can provide some feedback on Torguard? I need it mainly for streaming videos like Huluplus, Sports etc. Want to know if they are faster or as good as Astrill.

For video streaming only, CyberGhost is currently better than TorGuard but neither is better than Astrill.

They (CyberGhost) have improved a lot (esp. their U.S. servers) since the last time I tested a few months back.

* tested on SingTel & VQ fibre so YMMV depending on which ISP you're on.

Slpy

Master Member
Reaction score

Wah where
Sic link pls

luckyguitar

Reaction score
For video streaming only, CyberGhost is currently better than TorGuard but neither is better than Astrill.

They (CyberGhost) have improved a lot (esp. their U.S. servers) since the last time I tested a few months back.

* tested on SingTel & VQ fibre so YMMV depending on which ISP you're on.

Thanks for the quick summary. Guess i will have to stick with Astrill. Seems like not many can match Astrill's speed for US servers. I have found Vyprvpn to be rather close in terms of speed for US and HK servers, but they are more expensive and the client is little buggy.

elpibe10

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick summary. Guess i will have to stick with Astrill. Seems like not many can match Astrill's speed for US servers. I have found Vyprvpn to be rather close in terms of speed for US and HK servers, but they are more expensive and the client is little buggy.

Yeah nothing beats Astrill's 15 sec mark for Netflix to toggle HD mode ... not even VQ's own FreedomVPN. And that's not even on using Astrill's SG server (which is fast for Netflix but problematic for sites like Viki and Hulu).

As a comparison, CyberGhost's LA server hits the HD mode in 2+ min and PIA takes > 5 min to do the same.

jovially

Reaction score
Yeah nothing beats Astrill's 15 sec mark for Netflix to toggle HD mode ... not even VQ's own FreedomVPN. And that's not even on using Astrill's SG server (which is fast for Netflix but problematic for sites like Viki and Hulu).

As a comparison, CyberGhost's LA server hits the HD mode in 2+ min and PIA takes > 5 min to do the same.

Can Astrill steam china movies/sites?

stiwipl

Reaction score
I have tested AirVPN which is EU based VPN. You can write to them for free trial and they will give you 3 days voucher. They have some EU/US servers with 200ms latency (from VQ). Their Mac app is fairly new so it is not great, but it shows latency to all servers straight away which is a bonus. It also shows load on each server, so you can see which server is heavily infested with users. Speeds are not that great, nothing comparable to Astrill.

On their SG servers (which are 100Mbit only vs Astrill's 1Gbit) I was able to get around 80Mbps. On HK servers which is 1Gbit I was able to get 140Mbps. One feature I particularly was surprised and liked about AirVPN is "Geolocation routing". It means GEO restricted websites like Hulu (it works) and Netflix work on all servers (even SG, HK etc). The only "issue" is that they don't perform geolocation routing for servers in countries that have Netflix already, so on NL, UK servers you won't be able to get US Netflix.

They don't have their mobile app, so you have to rely on manual configuration.
Their support is very responsive and active on their community forum.
I think it is pretty interesting backup for Astrill.

I wonder which other VPNs have a similar "Geolocation routing" approach?

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No china server yet. :(

I have tested AirVPN which is EU based VPN. You can write to them for free trial and they will give you 3 days voucher. They have some EU/US servers with 200ms latency (from VQ). Their Mac app is fairly new so it is not great, but it shows latency to all servers straight away which is a bonus. It also shows load on each server, so you can see which server is heavily infested with users. Speeds are not that great, nothing comparable to Astrill.

On their SG servers (which are 100Mbit only vs Astrill's 1Gbit) I was able to get around 80Mbps. On HK servers which is 1Gbit I was able to get 140Mbps. One feature I particularly was surprised and liked about AirVPN is "Geolocation routing". It means GEO restricted websites like Hulu (it works) and Netflix work on all servers (even SG, HK etc). The only "issue" is that they don't perform geolocation routing for servers in countries that have Netflix already, so on NL, UK servers you won't be able to get US Netflix.

They don't have their mobile app, so you have to rely on manual configuration.
Their support is very responsive and active on their community forum.
I think it is pretty interesting backup for Astrill.

I wonder which other VPNs have a similar "Geolocation routing" approach?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Wah where
Sic link pls

Here is the link for US$7 Cyberghost 12 months for 5 devices. Just keep in mind the limited amount of servers / countries (USA, DE, RO, CH, CZ).

Anyway their pricing structure and all sort of strange deals is already putting me off. For instance the Snowden special edition has access to different amount of servers in 5 countries (104 servers) than the US$7 limited edition mentioned above (144 servers) in the same 5 countries! :s11: While standard full subscription gives you the access to 188 servers in those 5 countries. They don't publish these facts anywhere, so most people think they got a good deal while best servers are only accessible with standard subscriptions...

Lack of transparency, complicated special editions offer. No go for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the link for US$7 Cyberghost 12 months for 5 devices. Just keep in mind the limited amount of servers / countries (USA, DE, RO, CH, CZ).

Anyway their pricing structure and all sort of strange deals is already putting me off. For instance the Snowden special edition has access to different amount of servers in 5 countries (104 servers) than the US$7 limited edition mentioned above (144 servers) in the same 5 countries! :s11: While standard full subscription gives you the access to 188 servers in those 5 countries. They don't publish these facts anywhere, so most people think they got a good deal while best servers are only accessible with standard subscriptions...

Lack of transparency, complicated special editions offer. No go for me.

Some of their offers are actually pretty good. I do agree that it is annoying that we have to do proper research before signing up though..

I got mine CG subscription @ S$40+ for 2 years.

SkyFlux

Reaction score
So.. Can anyone recommend a decent VPN that hopefully has a server situated in SG that is good for torrenting? I have tried PIA and it's unbearably slow.. Already trying to get my refund.

Can't be too expensive, maybe $40 for a year or something.

stiwipl

Reaction score
So.. Can anyone recommend a decent VPN that hopefully has a server situated in SG that is good for torrenting? I have tried PIA and it's unbearably slow.. Already trying to get my refund.

Can't be too expensive, maybe $40 for a year or something.

Maybe give AirVPN a try? Ask them for free trial via contact form. They allow torrenting AFAIK and they have SG & HK servers.

elpibe10

Reaction score
Can't believe some people have so much time in their hands to bother with an in-depth price / server comparison but not willing to part with a mere US$7 (for an annual subscription).

Anyways, just to set the facts right, the CyberGhost US$7 package does allow one to connect to any of their servers, not just the ones in USA, DE, RO, CH, CZ.

I've my router connected (24/7) to their US, UK and SG servers for Failover PBR and they have been working great.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Can't believe some people have so much time in their hands to bother with an in-depth price / server comparison but not willing to part with a mere US$7 (for an annual subscription).

Anyways, just to set the facts right, the CyberGhost US$7 package does allow one to connect to any of their servers, not just the ones in USA, DE, RO, CH, CZ.

I've my router connected (24/7) to their US, UK and SG servers for Failover PBR and they have been working great.

I have Astrill and I just don't want a junk VPN oversold by a company with with aggressive promotions, pricing and unclear purchase conditions. I can pay US$100 / year for good Astrill backup alternative. Good companies do not need to fight for customers with such aggressive promos.

elpibe10

Reaction score
I have Astrill and I just don't want a junk VPN oversold by a company with with aggressive promotions, pricing and unclear purchase conditions. I can pay US$100 / year for good Astrill backup alternative. Good companies do not need to fight for customers with such aggressive promos.

I was skeptical too but in this CyberGhost case, I can attest that cheap does not equal to bad.

For only US$7 per annum which is a fraction of what every other VPN provider charge, I personally feel that it's a non-risk. That's like a meal at the CBD food court nowadays ...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.