HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree615Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #4876
Master Member

Direct to my ISP:

Wireguard on v2.7.1:

Connected to SG server:
kw442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #4877
Supremacy Member

Connected to SG server:
Speed is actually very good, just the high ping. It could be SingTel problem too. Maybe you can try different test servers.

Results for purevpn SG server, SingTel test server

Ping value to OVH Cloud is much better than SingTel test server, even though the speed is lower.

Ping values to Starhub, M1, MyRepublic and Viewquest are all below 100ms, only high to SingTel. So it is probably not a problem of Surfshark in this case, but rather SingTel. I am using Singtel 1Gbps plan.

Maybe non SingTel Surfshark users can check to see if Surfshark SG server has high ping or not.

Last edited by xiaofan; 19-09-2020 at 10:31 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #4878
Supremacy Member

https://stacksocial.com/sales/ivacy-...e-subscription

Anyone using iVacy? Can share the user experiences? Thanks.

US$39.99 life time subscription for 5 years. Singapore based company. Probably this is the reason it is not popular in this thread.
Old 20-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #4879
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just wondering which VPN are you using now for US connection.
purevpn leh as not expired
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #4880
Master Member

https://stacksocial.com/sales/ivacy-...e-subscription
Anyone using iVacy? Can share the user experiences? Thanks.
US$39.99 life time subscription for 5 years. Singapore based company. Probably this is the reason it is not popular in this thread.
Download is faster than Surfshark, but upload is sloooww.

Edit: Updated Surfshark to beta app and protocol to Wireguard, Ivacy is considered slow now.

Posted from PCWX using SM-N9860

Last edited by Pathfinder; 20-09-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #4881
Supremacy Member

Download is faster than Surfshark, but upload is sloooww.

Edit: Updated Surfshark to beta app and protocol to Wireguard, Ivacy is considered slow now.

Thanks for the info.

I will most likely give iVacy a try after my purevpn subscription expires coming December.
Old 20-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #4882
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

Don't know why the Lightway protocol on my ExpressVPN for Windows already gone leow.

Last time I checked it was there but now no more. Anyway it's still in beta stage

Apparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #4883
Master Member

Thanks for the info.

I will most likely give iVacy a try after my purevpn subscription expires coming December.
I got lifetime purevpn, but never use coz any of my other vpns is better than pure vpn. Lol

Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #4884
Master Member

Expressvpn with reference code is how much ? Still expensive?
homedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #4885
Supremacy Member

Expressvpn with reference code is how much ? Still expensive?
No referral codes exist in this thread for ExpressVPN yet. Anyway, you will get one month free only for each referral.

Price seems to be reasonable with the current promotion at US$100 for 15 months or about US$6.67 per month.
https://www.expressvpn.com/order

15 Months
includes 3 Free Months
$ 6.67 per month
Billed $99.95 first 15 months
30-day money-back guarantee.
Old 24-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #4886
Supremacy Member

hi may I know which provider this is? thanks!
dlercloud.
but they no longer provide 'back to china' servers for new signup.

are you using openclash?
Old 25-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #4887

Hi, looking for some advice,

i recently started a singtel 1gbps broadband plan and singtel tv, and i have a onr.

my understanding is that if i purchase and use my own router it will run with some features off.

so i'm reading so much negative things about onr that i'm planning to get a android tv box and i torrent.

will a vpn help me in anyway? i'm assuming i can only use the vpn on devices that i can input it to (eg. computer/phone)
ddqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #4888

i recently started a singtel 1gbps broadband plan and singtel tv, and i have a onr.

my understanding is that if i purchase and use my own router it will run with some features off.

so i'm reading so much negative things about onr that i'm planning to get a android tv box and i torrent.

will a vpn help me in anyway? i'm assuming i can only use the vpn on devices that i can input it to (eg. computer/phone)
When you are given an ONR, you would not be able to use a router or gateway-related devices. What it means is that any wireless router you purchase, can only be configured in access point mode. In access point mode, any security, VPN, and other gateway related features are disabled.

The use of ONR should not affect the android tv box or torrenting. Although, the bandwidth could be throttled by the ISP for torrent related activities.

A VPN could only help in bypassing the "bandwidth throttling". On top of that, it may provide additional security and privacy features.
ddqwerty likes this.
giraffey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #4889
Supremacy Member

What is the wireless router you are using now?

If you are so afraid of ONR, call Singtel to bridge the ONR. Then you can use your own router with full features.

BTW if you use SingTel provided router with an ONT, SingTel can still have access to the router.

With ONR, either your router runs in AP mode (lose more features) or you have to live with Double NAT when you use it in router mode.

Double NAT does not affect your internet access, but some features like remote access to the router from outside may be affected.

**** Ref on Double NAT ****
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games, opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL. Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network.
ddqwerty likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-09-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 25-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #4890

Thanks for the reply xiaofan and giraffey also thanks for the reply on the singtel 1gbps thread. i'll just continue here.

I understand a little better, i don't think i will benefit from changing to a ONT (might be too difficult for me). my best option is to request to change the ONR to bridged mode so at least i can use a router of my choice. currently i'm using the provided singtel "mesh" router (https://www.singtel.com/personal/sup...tel-mesh-guide)

Double NAT does not seem harmful, but then again configuring it will be way out of my league.

then i'll probably get a vpn for that extra peace of mind.

Edit: did i get this correct? currently the huawei ONR is acting as modem/router, and the connected singtel mesh router is running on AP mode?

Last edited by ddqwerty; 25-09-2020 at 11:55 AM..
ddqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.