HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #541

i already having astril 6mth. waiting for my roku delivery. u subscribing their vpn or dns? which type actually better for roku usage. vpn or dns type?
grynove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #542

i already having astril 6mth. waiting for my roku delivery. u subscribing their vpn or dns? which type actually better for roku usage. vpn or dns type?
I'm using Astrill too. That's my primary VPN for video streaming.

TorGuard is more like a backup for Astrill (video) and PIA (P2P).

They're all VPN. I have FreedomVPN from VQ too which is a smart DNS but it doesn't stream as well (occasional lag on BBC, ITV & Viki) as Astrill so I'm in the midst of routing the entire network traffic (video streaming) via Astrill instead.

I use Apple TV 3 (2 of them) which is similar to Roku and they're both permanently routed out (using router's Policy-based Routing) via Astrill.
oric1, outer92 and grynove like this.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #543

They're all VPN. I have FreedomVPN from VQ too which is a smart DNS but it doesn't stream as well (occasional lag on BBC, ITV & Viki) as Astrill so I'm in the midst of routing the entire network traffic (video streaming) via Astrill instead.

I use Apple TV 3 (2 of them) which is similar to Roku and they're both permanently routed out (using router's Policy-based Routing) via Astrill.
hey any idea which servers are good on PIA? thanks!
newbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #544

hey any idea which servers are good on PIA? thanks!
For video or P2P ?

If video, which country ?

Their California servers used to be good for video streaming but probably due to over-subscription, those servers have now become almost unusable unless you don't mind SD quality. The only remaining 'usable' US servers (for video streaming) are those in the Mid West.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #545

For video or P2P ?

If video, which country ?

Their California servers used to be good for video streaming but probably due to over-subscription, those servers have now become almost unusable unless you don't mind SD quality. The only remaining 'usable' US servers (for video streaming) are those in the Mid West.
i see. i'll have a try thanks. what about for peering?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #546

bro..do a review on roku when u received it ya..hahah..kinda interested in it too
grynove likes this.
sg_scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #547

i see. i'll have a try thanks. what about for peering?
Not all of their servers support P2P but among those that do, NL and CA (not the ones in Toronto) are the best (in terms of performance and stability).

bro..do a review on roku when u received it ya..hahah..kinda interested in it too
I had the Roku 1 previously but gave it away as I disliked the remote control (short distance and got to aim at Roku to work). Other than that, its more flexible compared to Apple TV but if you have iPad and iPhone, the ATV is actually more useful (AirPlay is a huge + for me).
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #548

I am also looking for Astrill backup just in case if they are down and I am travelling to some highly censored countries. However since I am Mac user, it is important for me to have nice and stable app. Astrill has the best Mac app with most flexible options. Which other VPNs have a good desktop app? Based on my research VyprVPN is trying hard to impress with their both desktop and mobile apps. Any others? HMA, ExpressVPN?
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #549

Not all of their servers support P2P but among those that do, NL and CA (not the ones in Toronto) are the best (in terms of performance and stability).
i see! thanks man i will try it out later.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #550

I am also looking for Astrill backup just in case if they are down and I am travelling to some highly censored countries. However since I am Mac user, it is important for me to have nice and stable app. Astrill has the best Mac app with most flexible options. Which other VPNs have a good desktop app? Based on my research VyprVPN is trying hard to impress with their both desktop and mobile apps. Any others? HMA, ExpressVPN?
I'm afraid I can't help you with that as I don't use any of their apps (everything configured on the MikroTik router).

For my rMBP & iPad, the VPN settings were manually configured too.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #551

can consider torguard. speed so so. they have viscosity for the MBP. quite convenient in changing server.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #552
Arch-Supremacy Member

Does DNS type allow more bandwidth for video streaming from what I heard? Didn't compare myself but the cost is definitely cheaper. Will try http://www.overplay.net/ soon.
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #553

Does DNS type allow more bandwidth for video streaming from what I heard? Didn't compare myself but the cost is definitely cheaper. Will try http://www.overplay.net/ soon.
If true then how come Astrill VPN no lag but VQ's FreedomVPN (Smart DNS) occasionally lags (for BBC, ITV & Viki specifically) ?

I guess other factors are involved too like routing efficiency, etc.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #554

worth to try unotelly also. was on their trial is not bad.

overplay have trial ??
however after tried astrill quite surprised with their quality.

im on MOL 50M btw. ITV no buffering. BBC sometimes only.
for some reason BBC need more BW than ITV.

lesson learned. cheap is not always good. good is confirmed not cheap.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #555
Arch-Supremacy Member

worth to try unotelly also. was on their trial is not bad.

overplay have trial ??
however after tried astrill quite surprised with their quality.

im on MOL 50M btw. ITV no buffering. BBC sometimes only.
for some reason BBC need more BW than ITV.

lesson learned. cheap is not always good. good is confirmed not cheap.
Yes unotelly not too bad. Overplay is $5 a month for limited features so you can just try one month to see. BBC iPlayer is their specialty. OverPlay Review | VPN Creative
Knight_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.