HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree602Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #721

what vpn are u using for bloodzeed? I'm thinking of getting a refund but they only have 7 day refund policy and I'm just past it. damn.
Haven't tried bloodzeed for a while now. If you just need it for Netflix/Hulu (only US servers), there are loads of vpns that will do the job. Astrill have servers in a lot of countries, great US connections. I have a Cyberghost premium account, which is not great, but still ok. Another decent option is Ironsocket. I tested them with Hulu and it streams HD with no buffering issues.

Did you contact PIA technical support? Maybe they can help troubleshoot, sometimes there are other causes for poor speed. If it is just US server that you need, it might be better to buy a cheap vps like ramnode and setup your own tunneling. You get better speed and latency.
luckyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #722

What is the best VPN service, either paid or free, for breaking through Chinese firewalls? I was using Astrill but its not supporting well now..
sajidali27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #723

What is the best VPN service, either paid or free, for breaking through Chinese firewalls? I was using Astrill but its not supporting well now..
You should get their helpdesk to look into it. I'm using Astrill too, last time I had the same issue, they fixed it.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #724

is astrill from china?

a562140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #725
Arch-Supremacy Member

so impressed with Astrill with this new function

On May 2011, the Great Firewall of China did a probe which blocked VPNs temporarily. Unfortunately on Dec 2012, the Great Firewall of China ISPs and government worked really hard to block all existing VPN protocols. They have updated GFW so it can now learn, detect and block VPN protocols in real-time and automatically. All standard protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, IPSec, SSTP are blocked. They use DPI (deep packet inspection) to detect IP addresses running VPN protocols. Then it takes them a few hours or in best case 1 day to block these IPs.

This practically means standard VPN protocols will not work in China anymore. Not now or ever. Censorship in China will become much worse. They are making new laws which will make VPNs illegal and request from Internet users to use their real name when signing up on web sites.

All VPN providers are affected by this block, not just Astrill in China. Even big companies like Apple are affected and their employees have problems to connect to their corporate VPN from China.

Protect your traffic with double encryption and undetectable VPN protocol

As a response to Great Firewall of China VPN blocking events, we decided to create a new VPN protocol that is not detectable as VPN protocol and which works in China. We named those new protocols StealthVPN and RouterPro VPN.

StealthVPN and RouterPro VPN is our customized version of OpenVPN, and is our solution which works in China. StealthVPN add-on is for computers only (Windows, Mac OSX and Linux), and RouterPro VPN add-on is for routers only (DD-WRT, Tomato, TomatoUSB, ASUS Merlin, RMerl/asuswrt-merlin). While both StealthVPN and RouterPro VPN protocols were originally designed for China users, anyone can use this protocols as means to prevent your ISP Throttling Your Internet Connection.

The new protocols StealthVPN and RouterPro VPN are designed to make it really hard to detect and block. The new protocol has 2-layers of encryption for even better security. Standard price for StealthVPN add-on is $5/month and $10/month for RouterPro VPN add-on. This fee is necessary to cover development and maintenance costs and server expenses, as this new protocol uses much more system resources due to two layers of encryption.
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #726

I am looking at hidemyass.com as a vpn provider. what i need a vpn for is to watch hulu as well as to dl/upload movies to maintain my ratio and prevent it from falling into negative territory.

starhub keeps throttling my speeds and i am pretty pissed. any recommendation for a good vpn provider which provide good speed for watching hulu as well as downloading and uploading movies?
Old 22-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #727
Supremacy Member

astrill singapore 1 down?
Old 27-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #728

starhub keeps throttling my speeds and i am pretty pissed. any recommendation for a good vpn provider which provide good speed for watching hulu as well as downloading and uploading movies?
Hi! I would like to recommend zenVPN.net for watching Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Go.You can try this for free though, and has a low monthly rate. I have been using their service for quite sometime now and they never fail me. Fast and Anonymous internet connection at its best.
weaselmalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #729

Hi all,

Any recommendation for a good VPN to watch PPTV, LETV apps on IPad ? (only watch on iPad)
Have actually signed up for a free trial for Astrill, however noticed that the china server (china telecom) only available to full account user
So can't really test Astrill on this ..

Last edited by eslayer09; 28-09-2014 at 01:42 PM..
eslayer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #730
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Any recommendation for a good VPN to watch PPTV, LETV apps on IPad ? (only watch on iPad)
Have actually signed up for a free trial for Astrill, however noticed that the china server (china telecom) only available to full account user
So can't really test Astrill on this ..
ask them covert to full account for 3 days instead of 7 days
Old 28-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #731

ask them covert to full account for 3 days instead of 7 days
Thks, managed to get full access for 3 days
However, when I used the china telecom server, I am still being recognized as in USA and hence unable to see the contents in PPTV
Did I choose the wrong server ?
eslayer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #732

Hi bros here.

I am interested in signing up for a VPN service and after scrolling through pages of review on this thread I conclude that Astrill is the best overall.

So the question I want to ask is, if by subscribing to Astrill's services will I be able to stream bloodzeed and even premierleaguepass.com?

Thanks in advance!
bodohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #733

Hi bros here.

I am interested in signing up for a VPN service and after scrolling through pages of review on this thread I conclude that Astrill is the best overall.

So the question I want to ask is, if by subscribing to Astrill's services will I be able to stream bloodzeed and even premierleaguepass.com?

Thanks in advance!
Do you really need a vpn for bloodzeed? There are some who say the ISPs are blocking their streams, but i loaded one match as a test and it works fine. You can also easily find 2 or 3 other streams with same quality as bloodzeed, amidst some may not come with english commentary.

I suggest you go with something like unotelly, unblock-us or adfreetime for PLP. I have tried with both DNS and VPN for PLP, the former definitely delivers a more stable stream.
luckyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #734

How about trying ZenVPN Hong Kong server to view PPTV?
sqapg6 likes this.
weaselmalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #735
Arch-Supremacy Member

How about trying ZenVPN Hong Kong server to view PPTV?
HK vpn does not work with pptv
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.