HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree615Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #961

I'm on astrill, can i ask what servers do you guys use mainly for openvpn?
It doesn't matter, any server also can use. If you want to know which is the fastest server, you can do a speedtest via your VPN client... go to HELP > Speed Test.

Astrill Wiki: Features and Options
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #962
eyz
Supremacy Member

just curious, do we go through VPN when we are doing our own stuffs ie. logging into email, ibanking and etc. thinking about it, it can be quite dangerous to do all these personal online stuffs when we are on a VPN.

Last edited by eyz; 20-04-2015 at 08:21 PM..
eyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #963
Master Member

just curious, do we go through VPN when we are doing our own stuffs ie. logging into email, ibanking and etc. thinking about it, it can be quite dangerous to do all these personal online stuffs when we are on a VPN.
Why? Your connection to those sites are usually over SSL(https), the VPN provider cannot see what's being transferred over SSL, but only to what ip you are connecting to.
crystalnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #964
eyz
Supremacy Member

thanks bro. i'm a noob.

Why? Your connection to those sites are usually over SSL(https), the VPN provider cannot see what's being transferred over SSL, but only to what ip you are connecting to.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #965
Master Member

lol gg

extra info

Last edited by wongminmin; 20-04-2015 at 10:33 PM..
wongminmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:54 AM   #966

Anyone with a better way of getting PS3 onto VPN other than using a second router? Hahah
If you have Astrill and DD-WRT or Tomato compatible router or Asus using Asus Merlin firmware, you can install Astrill's applet and use selective syncing. This way you can route PS3 to use VPN and other devices not. The only other VPN I know who has recently introduced similar applet is VyprVPN.

For Asus routers Merlin should release his new FW soon 378.53 with selective routing and this can be used by any VPN provider.

that's why never use VPN for streaming drama only...
get unotelly.com... it's much faster..
I disagree. I used Unotelly and then Astrill VPN, it was night and day difference. Unotelly is changing the routing to Netflix and it may not improve the speed unfortunately. I had problems with HD streaming on VQ 300Mbps using Unotelly, while I have never had this problem with Astrill. Singapore 1 (USA) server is simply the best for SG users watching Netflix.
oric1 likes this.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #967

If you have Astrill and DD-WRT or Tomato compatible router or Asus using Asus Merlin firmware, you can install Astrill's applet and use selective syncing. This way you can route PS3 to use VPN and other devices not. The only other VPN I know who has recently introduced similar applet is VyprVPN.

For Asus routers Merlin should release his new FW soon 378.53 with selective routing and this can be used by any VPN provider.
I was using Astrill applet on my ASUS router and I must say it's really easy to setup & use with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I disagree. I used Unotelly and then Astrill VPN, it was night and day difference. Unotelly is changing the routing to Netflix and it may not improve the speed unfortunately. I had problems with HD streaming on VQ 300Mbps using Unotelly, while I have never had this problem with Astrill. Singapore 1 (USA) server is simply the best for SG users watching Netflix.
Unfortunately Singapore 1 (USA) server doesn't work on my Netflix, had to use a 'real' US server. Anybody had any luck with SG1 (USA) on Netflix? Or is it just me

Last edited by oric1; 21-04-2015 at 07:45 AM..
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #968

In the end i went for unotelly. the smartdns was comparatively faster while still offering both smartdns and vpn.
Yeah, UnoTelly offers good DNS Servers for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. I tried SmartyDNS, SmartDNS Proxy, UNlocator, Overplay, PureVPN SmartDNS and PIA VPN, so far Unotelly has been the fastest of the lot. They have offers during Black Friday / Christmas period. Should subscribe for a year during the offer period.
schlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #969
Master Member

I was using Astrill applet on my ASUS router and I must say it's really easy to setup & use with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Unfortunately Singapore 1 (USA) server doesn't work on my Netflix, had to use a 'real' US server. Anybody had any luck with SG1 (USA) on Netflix? Or is it just me

For Astrill speed test doesn't mean transfer test. So best is to do a transfer test for the server you want to use.

Cheers

Last edited by Soccer Ball; 21-04-2015 at 01:54 PM..
Soccer Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #970
Arch-Supremacy Member

lol gg
Your service got blocked? Which vpn did you use?
xtwis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #971

[...]
I am not in SG anymore so could be they have changed something? In fact the servers are located in SG hosting centre with virtual US IP. If you guys check your IP while connected to SG1 (USA) what does it show?

Alternatively LA servers were working good too, not as great as SG1 but I remember getting speeds of 70-80Mbps on LA servers.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #972
Supremacy Member

SG1 is rubbish. It is only good for Netflix only now. I use LA Business or SF now for US unblocking.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #973
eyz
Supremacy Member

any PIA users experiencing problem with US TV channel streaming?
Old 21-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #974
Master Member

Your service got blocked? Which vpn did you use?
Not me. taken from here
wongminmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #975

Yeah, UnoTelly offers good DNS Servers for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. I tried SmartyDNS, SmartDNS Proxy, UNlocator, Overplay, PureVPN SmartDNS and PIA VPN, so far Unotelly has been the fastest of the lot. They have offers during Black Friday / Christmas period. Should subscribe for a year during the offer period.
Trying out Netflix. Their selection isn't really fantastic. Quite dated and limited.
congster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.