HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree602Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #991
Master Member

anyone knows how much is the Unotelly UnoDNS premium plan for half year in SGD ?
Wongpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #992
nez
Supremacy Member

What is recommended for torrenting? As in reduce the likelihood of being identified?

What kind of device are you using to watch the channel? Are you using VPN or DNS? Are you connecting to the right servers?

You need to know what best suits your purpose before you sign up for a dns/vpn service.

If you are looking to change IP addresses, you most likely will need VPN, whereas if you are just looking to access specific content in certain territories, then DNS is also a viable option (usually cheaper). Many service providers offer both options but not all (e.g. Astrill doesn't offer DNS).

To access content within certain territories, you should also pay attention to where the servers are. For instance, if you want to access Aus content, you should try to see if there is a server in Aus.

Unotelly doesn't have a VPN server in Aus but they do have DNS servers there. Their VPN servers are in US (no torrenting), UK, Netherlands, Canada, and Germany. Not that many. I don't consider them strong in VPN. As their servers aren't that near to us, you shouldn't expect terrific speeds. I happen to need both DNS and VPN services and am able to tolerate slower speeds for VPN, for a lower price*, so unotelly works for me. It might not work for you.

*DNS+VPN = $7.65 USD, but after a discount, it is about USD 4 bucks for this month's subscription. I'm trying out a month first. I also tried Cactus which was faster VPN wise but slower for DNS. DNS speed is critical for me because I need it for live HD streaming. I can tolerate slower VPN speeds as Im prepared to wait a little longer.

I think it is also important to be mindful that different solutions are easier to implement for different devices.

For instance, on my Sony TV and PS3, I can change the DNS server in a jiffy so a DNS solution is more elegant if im interested in netflix. Conversely if i wanted to implement VPN, i would either have to

(i) mount VPN on the router itself (could be more troublesome and there are limitations as often 3rd party firmware flashing is necessary, e.g. asus-merlin wrt, and this is not supported on all routers,e.g. my asus RT-AC56S does not support this), or
(ii) connect the tv/ps3 to my PC via network cards to allow the devices to tap on the PC's VPN connection.

Perhaps there are other solutions, but I have not come across any thus far after doing some web searches.

Even when it comes to mounting VPN, the steps vary for different protocols - OpenVPN versus PPTP/L2TP, etc. I'm interested in mounting VPN on my synology NAS and it was more troublesome to mount the OpenVPN compared to PPTP. For the latter, a simple setup using server address, userid, and password sufficed. For Astrill OpenVPN with the NAS, apart from server access settings, I had to rip a separate certificate file and telnet the .ovpn file to the appropriate folder within the NAS. I don't imagine those born after the MS-DOS era to be comfortable with performing tasks in the command prompt environment, even though one would argue the commands needed for this is relatively simple.

Bottom line - you just have to take some time to learn these things in order to handle this comfortably. No easy way out.
nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #993
Master Member

anyone knows how much is the Unotelly UnoDNS premium plan for half year in Sing Dollars ?
Old 29-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #994
Master Member

anyone knows how much is the Unotelly UnoDNS premium plan for half year in Sing Dollars ?
No one can tell you the exact amount. Only esti value.

USA $24.95

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/
(1.33)

$24.95 X $1.35 = $33.68

if anything expensive than $34...then u must change bank liao. lol
wongminmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #995
Master Member

wongminmin you are right i was bill $37.05 i going to change CC soon
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #996
Supremacy Member

I did a speed test on Astrill... best US server was US LA1... but ping was 150+ and speed 1,300kb/s...

is this normal?
wongkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #997

I did a speed test on Astrill... best US server was US LA1... but ping was 150+ and speed 1,300kb/s...

is this normal?
Your speed seems abit slow.

My random tests on some US servers:

LA1 ping 176, speed 3,277kB/s
Fremont ping 203, speed 12,486kB/s
Phoenix 1 ping 191, speed 13,204 kB/s
Phoenix 2 ping 256, speed 14,566 kB/s
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #998

What kind of device are you using to watch the channel? Are you using VPN or DNS? Are you connecting to the right servers?

You need to know what best suits your purpose before you sign up for a dns/vpn service.

If you are looking to change IP addresses, you most likely will need VPN, whereas if you are just looking to access specific content in certain territories, then DNS is also a viable option (usually cheaper). Many service providers offer both options but not all (e.g. Astrill doesn't offer DNS).

To access content within certain territories, you should also pay attention to where the servers are. For instance, if you want to access Aus content, you should try to see if there is a server in Aus.

Unotelly doesn't have a VPN server in Aus but they do have DNS servers there. Their VPN servers are in US (no torrenting), UK, Netherlands, Canada, and Germany. Not that many. I don't consider them strong in VPN. As their servers aren't that near to us, you shouldn't expect terrific speeds. I happen to need both DNS and VPN services and am able to tolerate slower speeds for VPN, for a lower price*, so unotelly works for me. It might not work for you.

*DNS+VPN = $7.65 USD, but after a discount, it is about USD 4 bucks for this month's subscription. I'm trying out a month first. I also tried Cactus which was faster VPN wise but slower for DNS. DNS speed is critical for me because I need it for live HD streaming. I can tolerate slower VPN speeds as Im prepared to wait a little longer.

I think it is also important to be mindful that different solutions are easier to implement for different devices.

For instance, on my Sony TV and PS3, I can change the DNS server in a jiffy so a DNS solution is more elegant if im interested in netflix. Conversely if i wanted to implement VPN, i would either have to

(i) mount VPN on the router itself (could be more troublesome and there are limitations as often 3rd party firmware flashing is necessary, e.g. asus-merlin wrt, and this is not supported on all routers,e.g. my asus RT-AC56S does not support this), or
(ii) connect the tv/ps3 to my PC via network cards to allow the devices to tap on the PC's VPN connection.

Perhaps there are other solutions, but I have not come across any thus far after doing some web searches.

Even when it comes to mounting VPN, the steps vary for different protocols - OpenVPN versus PPTP/L2TP, etc. I'm interested in mounting VPN on my synology NAS and it was more troublesome to mount the OpenVPN compared to PPTP. For the latter, a simple setup using server address, userid, and password sufficed. For Astrill OpenVPN with the NAS, apart from server access settings, I had to rip a separate certificate file and telnet the .ovpn file to the appropriate folder within the NAS. I don't imagine those born after the MS-DOS era to be comfortable with performing tasks in the command prompt environment, even though one would argue the commands needed for this is relatively simple.

Bottom line - you just have to take some time to learn these things in order to handle this comfortably. No easy way out.
Sorry. I'm thinking of using Astrill VPN with a synology NAS as well.
I only want to use the NAS to climb bukit timah with the VPN. Is it difficult to set up?
lala81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #999
Master Member

Sorry. I'm thinking of using Astrill VPN with a synology NAS as well.
I only want to use the NAS to climb bukit timah with the VPN. Is it difficult to set up?
https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.p...yarticle&id=79

try follow their guide, but fill in using astrill VPN credentials

update : http://wiki.astrill.com/index.php/As...n_Synology_NAS
XxlwAteRzlxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #1000

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.p...yarticle&id=79

try follow their guide, but fill in using astrill VPN credentials

update : http://wiki.astrill.com/index.php/As...n_Synology_NAS
thanks man. Thinking of signing up and trying it out next week when I'm on leave.
Cheers.
lala81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #1001
Master Member

thanks man. Thinking of signing up and trying it out next week when I'm on leave.
Cheers.
np! but I would actually recommend u to get torguard or PIA instead

XxlwAteRzlxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #1002
Master Member

using VPN to watch Netflix now

Old 13-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #1003
High Supremacy Member

torguard now only 20% off..

TGVPN2015

EDIT:

The agent just gave a 30% discount code.

"I want to subscribe to u guys but the 50% promo ended..

Is there any other promo at the moment?
Emma
Yes, at the moment I can offer you 30% discount code
Your 30% discount code is: Student2014"

Last edited by gld998; 13-05-2015 at 08:56 PM..
gld998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #1004

Hey guys, any recommendations for VPN Service provider? I just want a good and cheap VPN for normal usage.
evildoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #1005
High Supremacy Member

Hey guys, any recommendations for VPN Service provider? I just want a good and cheap VPN for normal usage.
PIA or Torguard
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.