HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree602Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #1096

Almost all VPN services have US servers.
Advice is to ping the servers to find out which server gives the fastest ping results and use that server for your connection to achieve the fastest connectivity.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I google for how to ping a server. The initial results shown, using command prompt and type ping (website), may i check, is this the fastest way or there is alternatives like some websites helps to ping websites?
By the way, am i right to assume, to climb "safetly" on VPN, it is always better to use US servers? While the rest of the servers is mainly for geo locked streaming? And also, read few post back, never never ever uses Sg servers to climb?

Thanks for the help, learning new things everyday.
Old 15-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #1097
Master Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. I google for how to ping a server. The initial results shown, using command prompt and type ping (website), may i check, is this the fastest way or there is alternatives like some websites helps to ping websites?
By the way, am i right to assume, to climb "safetly" on VPN, it is always better to use US servers? While the rest of the servers is mainly for geo locked streaming? And also, read few post back, never never ever uses Sg servers to climb?

Thanks for the help, learning new things everyday.
You can use the command prompt to ping (easiest and quickest method).

Alternative method is to use the router's control setting.
You have to go to 192.168.x.x, depending on the IP address of your router.
Most router control settings have the function to send ping.

Another way is to go to speedtest.net and select the servers you want to ping and test connection speed at the same time.

Whether it is safe to climb or not depends on the VPN service's terms and conditions (T&C). Not all VPN services not keep track of your activities. Avoid VPN services that keep track of your activities and you will be fine. Of course, avoid the illegal stuff in the first place is the best assurance.
tkl23786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #1098

You can use the command prompt to ping (easiest and quickest method).

Alternative method is to use the router's control setting.
You have to go to 192.168.x.x, depending on the IP address of your router.
Most router control settings have the function to send ping.

Another way is to go to speedtest.net and select the servers you want to ping and test connection speed at the same time.

Whether it is safe to climb or not depends on the VPN service's terms and conditions (T&C). Not all VPN services not keep track of your activities. Avoid VPN services that keep track of your activities and you will be fine. Of course, avoid the illegal stuff in the first place is the best assurance.
Thanks again for the prompt reply. Guess i google the correct things about pinging of website then .

So far understand that PIA is the best deal, blame it on my incompetence and limited knowledge, i cannot let PIA work well with my SH fibre. Will be trying out torguard soon, and if it doesnt gives me good speed, will try on astrill.

I didnt know it is so hard to catch some older US drama despite having a paid service like netflix + vpn for someone like me. Glad this thread existed and thanks for all the advise rendered. For example, i want to watch Dexter season 1 in 720 or 1080 mode, still figuring out how well the vpn that suits netflix server.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #1099

there is a separate thread on watching netflix.

if just for netflix,
i am using apple tv + unotelly dns. No vpn required. I use this almost everyday

if I need vpn, i am using cyberghost (promo). netflix and amazon instant video still ok.
revogsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #1100

I always use torguard to climb because they clearly states that they not tracking any activities at all. You can read it at the their FAQ section.

FAQ sections.
playnwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #1101

Did u use the Smart DNS? Try the DN server closest to Singapore. I think there is one in Singapore itself and another one in HK. I am watching it from Amazon Fire TV and it works fine. Video quality is HD after a few seconds of loading.
I am using PC to watch amazon instant video thru unotelly. But I cannot get HD quality. Is there anyone able to get HD quality thru PC ?
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #1102

there is a separate thread on watching netflix.

if just for netflix,
i am using apple tv + unotelly dns. No vpn required. I use this almost everyday

if I need vpn, i am using cyberghost (promo). netflix and amazon instant video still ok.
Hi , are you able to watch amazon instant video in HD quality thru unotelly ?
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #1103

I always use torguard to climb because they clearly states that they not tracking any activities at all. You can read it at the their FAQ section.

FAQ sections.
Mind if I ask which server you use and what kinda speeds you're getting with TorGuard.?
phrozact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #1104

I tired unotelly DNS servers, the best video quality I am getting with Amazon is 480p.
Are you guy able to achieve 720P ?
Im able to get HD streaming on Netflix but am unsure about the resolution in getting. I suspect it's either 720p or 1080p compressed.
congster2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #1105
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mind if I ask which server you use and what kinda speeds you're getting with TorGuard.?
torguard has a torrent socks5 proxy service. That is all you need unless you are extremely paranoid and wanna use a VPN on top of it.

I've been using torguard for 3 years now. Most of the time is just for the socks5 proxy. On the occasion when I need to use a VPN, it didn't hinder my speed at all. I'm still able to download at up to 20MB/s.

I even game with my VPN now. My normal latency to games i play are 5ms. With south east asian based VPN, it's 45ms. I can definitely live with that.
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #1106

FAQ sections.
im also using torguard for 1 year plus already.. so far so good with the speed..
love4gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #1107

For anyone interested in VyprVPN, I have never seen any sales but I have just found something interesting. Apparently they were offering 25% discount on plans for chinese year and their link for this promotion is still valid here. Also through this link on their plans page, there is also a free 500MB account which is not listed normally. This seems to be a fully functional free account.

Although I am loyal Astrill customer, as I think it's the best VPN I have tried, I am looking for a solid backup and VyprVPN is trying hard to catch up. They have introduced their own router applet solution (like Astrill applet) and they have their own proprietary protocol Chameleon. I am definitely going to give them a try.
Glad I checked VyprVPN for free. What can I say, it's slow compared to Astrill. Such a pity, as I had high hopes for them.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #1108

MyRepublic offer VyprVPN

MyRepublic VyprVPN
outer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #1109

Try Cloak at https://www.getcloak.com
witzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #1110

New to this, using torguard sock5 proxy to climb for a couple of days. Do you guys combine it with peerblock & malwarebytes as well?
idiots is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.