HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree577Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #1111

Astrill just setup Singapore 2 server for bt climbing.

Was able to achieved 21.6MB/s or 172.8Mbps when I tested Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop (64-bit) just now (don't worry, it's perfectly legal to download this file).
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #1112
Supremacy Member

I feel Astrill getting more horrible lately. Used to be able to stream Netflix at 10MB/s now only 4MB/s. Direct downloading from those premium sites also become slower. Every time I complain to tech support, they say there is no problem but you can feel the speeds getting crappier by the day.

Now back to using my backup PIA account, they are adding more servers and locations and BT anytime faster than Astrill even without port forwarding.
Asakura likes this.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #1113

I feel Astrill getting more horrible lately. Used to be able to stream Netflix at 10MB/s now only 4MB/s. Direct downloading from those premium sites also become slower. Every time I complain to tech support, they say there is no problem but you can feel the speeds getting crappier by the day.

Now back to using my backup PIA account, they are adding more servers and locations and BT anytime faster than Astrill even without port forwarding.
BTW, how did you test the speed for Netflix streaming?

Thanks for the heads up, will keep PIA in mind in case I need to switch

Last edited by oric1; 27-06-2015 at 12:42 PM..
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #1114
Supremacy Member

Mac has per app bandwidth monitoring. Dunno about Windows.
Asakura likes this.
Old 30-06-2015, 03:13 AM   #1115

It was a matter of time. If folks have 1-2 Gbps pipes from ISPs and are using VPN to overcome certain transfer speed restrictions by using popular VPN, then it obviously won't work great all the time. I am note sure what's Astrill total bandwidth capacity in SG but I am sure it's not cheap.
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #1116
Supremacy Member

It was a matter of time. If folks have 1-2 Gbps pipes from ISPs and are using VPN to overcome certain transfer speed restrictions by using popular VPN, then it obviously won't work great all the time. I am note sure what's Astrill total bandwidth capacity in SG but I am sure it's not cheap.
Its not just their Singapore servers. Most of their EU and US servers are becoming horribly slow nowadays. And they keep changing their datacenters for their p2p locations, you can never keep up. One day very fast, the next damn slow. Cannot take it. They used to claim their speed is the fastest among VPN providers, but its not the case now.

When my sub is over I think I will not renew.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #1117

Its not just their Singapore servers. Most of their EU and US servers are becoming horribly slow nowadays. And they keep changing their datacenters for their p2p locations, you can never keep up. One day very fast, the next damn slow. Cannot take it. They used to claim their speed is the fastest among VPN providers, but its not the case now.

When my sub is over I think I will not renew.
If you know some faster and more speed consistent VPNs, please share. But based on my experience, others are not better and definitely not more consistent with their speeds. I had really big hopes for VyprVPN but every single server there seems to be capped around 20-30Mbps...

Some good read about VPN security of different VPN providers here.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #1118

I'm currently subscribed to Astrill, Private Internet Access and TorGuard. In terms of speed Astrill by far gives me the fastest speeds, but even though they claim no Iogs are kept I still have my doubts. Between PIA and TorGuard I'm still trying to determine which go stick with. I've opened up a port with the TorGuard HK server and also trying to troubleshoot in connection with a PIA customer service rep but speeds are still disappointingly slow.

Last edited by phrozact; 03-07-2015 at 07:04 PM..
phrozact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #1119

I just signed up with PIA and using their socks5 on utorrent, avg 817kB/s downloading Ubuntu 64bit. Pretty slow I feel although I'm using laptop with 5400rpm HDD.

ViewMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #1120
Supremacy Member

I just signed up with PIA and using their socks5 on utorrent, avg 817kB/s downloading Ubuntu 64bit. Pretty slow I feel although I'm using laptop with 5400rpm HDD.
Don't use the socks proxy to torrent, use their VPN app instead. Can get 50-60MB/s downloading the ubuntu torrent.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #1121
Supremacy Member

If you know some faster and more speed consistent VPNs, please share. But based on my experience, others are not better and definitely not more consistent with their speeds. I had really big hopes for VyprVPN but every single server there seems to be capped around 20-30Mbps...

Some good read about VPN security of different VPN providers here.
Astrill is still fast, but not as fast as it was at the beginning of the year when they started taking down their p2p servers and swapping everything around.

Honestly for the price and performance now, I'm sticking with my PIA. At least I don't need to worry about spiking and sub-par performance whenever they take down a server.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #1122

Don't use the socks proxy to torrent, use their VPN app instead. Can get 50-60MB/s downloading the ubuntu torrent.
Ok did some wired tests downloading ubuntu over and over again and considering my laptop is old and not even high specs. This laptop can't even connect to 5ghz band on my RT-N56U using wireless. That's how old it is.
Running Cat5 RJ-45 from laptop to router. Router to modem using Cat6.

ISP: M1 Ltd 200mbps plan
VPN : Off 5.9MB/s
VPN : On router (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA Singapore server) avg 4.8MB/s

50-60MB/s don't seem possible with my hardware specs.
Oddly though, I am able to access Netflix through the PIA SG server. All other servers seem to be blocked by Netflix.
ViewMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #1123
Supremacy Member

Ok did some wired tests downloading ubuntu over and over again and considering my laptop is old and not even high specs. This laptop can't even connect to 5ghz band on my RT-N56U using wireless. That's how old it is.
Running Cat5 RJ-45 from laptop to router. Router to modem using Cat6.

ISP: M1 Ltd 200mbps plan
VPN : Off 5.9MB/s
VPN : On router (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA Singapore server) avg 4.8MB/s

50-60MB/s don't seem possible with my hardware specs.
Oddly though, I am able to access Netflix through the PIA SG server. All other servers seem to be blocked by Netflix.
My macbook also at least 4 years old now but I use Ethernet to torrent. Check that your laptop is connected at 1gbps and not 100mbps and you're using a quality cable.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #1124
Banned

Best VPN for you

VPN services have become an important tool to counter the growing threat of Internet surveillance, but unfortunately not all VPNs are as anonymous as one might hope. In fact, some VPN services log users' IP-addresses and other private info for months. To find out how anonymous VPNs really are, TF asked the leading providers about their logging practices and other privacy sensitive policies.

spyBy now most Internet users are well aware of the fact that pretty much every step they take on the Internet is logged or monitored.

To prevent their IP-addresses from being visible to the rest of the Internet, millions of people have signed up to a VPN service. Using a VPN allows users to use the Internet anonymously and prevent snooping.

Unfortunately, not all VPN services are as anonymous as they claim, as several incidents have shown in the past.

By popular demand we now present the fourth iteration of our VPN services “logging” review. In addition to questions about logging practices, we also asked VPN providers about other privacy sensitive policies, so prospective users can make an informed decision.

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

2. Under what jurisdiction(s) does your company operate?

3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service?

4. Do you use any external email providers (e.g. Google Apps) or support tools ( e.g Live support, Zendesk) that hold information provided by users?

5. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?

6. What steps are taken when a valid court order requires your company to identify an active user of your service? Has this ever happened?

7. Does your company have a warrant canary or a similar solution to alert customers to gag orders?

8. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?

9. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?

10. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users? Do you provide tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops and DNS leak protection?

11. Do you use your own DNS servers? (if not, which servers do you use?)

12. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they outsourced and hosted by a third party (if so, which ones)? Where are your servers located?

Below is the list of responses we received from various VPN providers, in their own words. In some cases we asked for further clarification. VPN providers who keep logs for longer than 7 days were excluded, and others who simply failed to respond.

Please note that several VPN companies listed here do log to some extent. We therefore divided the responses into a category of providers who keep no logs (page 1/2) and one for who keep usage and/or session logs (page 3). The order of the VPNs within each category holds no value.

We are also working on a convenient overview page as well as dedicated review pages for all providers, with the option for users to rate theirs and add a custom review. These will be added in the near future.
Roger_Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #1125

Has anyone tried 12VPN?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.