HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree588Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #1141

Bro, speedtest has nothing to do with real-world performance. As far as I am concerned, performance to sites like Netflix, BBC, premium download sites and torrents all don't justify the price we're paying now. Its less than half the speed now than when it was at its peak.

Having the best speedtest and the most locations doesn't mean a thing when downloading speeds are so bad now.
Totally agree on the speedtest part.

For Netflix, I test the speed of the VPN connection by timing how long it takes to hit 'HD mode'. A good one should be able to do it in <30 sec (fastest I've tested is 15 sec).

For Hulu, it obviously has to work (most don't). For speed testing, I let it run for like 5 to 10 min. If no buffering at HD mode, then it's good.

Unfortunately, not many meet the above 2 test criteria. At the moment, I only have a handful of 'good' US VPN connections in my list.

For PIA, which US server can pass both of the aforementioned tests ?

Last edited by elpibe10; 15-07-2015 at 09:32 PM..
elpibe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #1142
Arch-Supremacy Member

Astrill servers have gotten a lot slower recently . i am trying the trial from unotelly and wow it is pretty fast and i was able to watch hulu without any issues
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #1143
Arch-Supremacy Member

i am still connected to astrill los angeles US server to do climbing. i observe there is no change in speed at all.

just stick to one provider that you are comfortable. subscribers tend to migrate here and there. a provider can be fast now, attracts more subscribers and becomes slower later on. the cycle continues.

i am comfortable with astrill because of the 100% foolproof internet kill switch feature that i can configure using windows firewall.
Old 16-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #1144

Astrill servers have gotten a lot slower recently
You're not alone on that. Their performance has been on the massive decline ever since they decided to focus on the Chinese market.

The only ones who are still singing praise for them are probably affiliated to them or just fanboys.
Old 16-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #1145
Arch-Supremacy Member

You're not alone on that. Their performance has been on the massive decline ever since they decided to focus on the Chinese market.

The only ones who are still singing praise for them are probably affiliated to them or just fanboys.
using Unotelly which used to be not able to work on Starhub. happy like nuts....
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #1146
Master Member

using unotelly for watching netflix, hulu etc is better than any of the vpns, since it doesn't reduce your connection speed at all, as UnoDNS bypasses such geo-blocks by providing you with a local IP address when accessing these websites.

If you are using VPN for climbing then astrill, PIA etc, will be a better option.
Old 16-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #1147

using unotelly for watching netflix, hulu etc is better than any of the vpns, since it doesn't reduce your connection speed at all, as UnoDNS bypasses such geo-blocks by providing you with a local IP address when accessing these websites.

If you are using VPN for climbing then astrill, PIA etc, will be a better option.
It depends on how you use the VPN.

If you're using it with any consumer router then yes, what you've said is 100% correct.

For my case, I'm doing my own policy-based routing on the MikroTik CCR which effectively is similar to Smart DNS like Unotelly.

Only the geo-loc verification servers go through VPN. The actual streaming can still be direct via the ISP but here, I've the advantage of choosing to use the VPN (or even another VPN or my other ISP) depending on whichever is providing the best performance.

That's why Smart DNS doesn't work well for me ... and I'm subscribing to about half a dozen VPN services so that I can pick and choose the best route for any specific media streaming service.
Old 16-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #1148
Supremacy Member

Totally agree on the speedtest part.

For Netflix, I test the speed of the VPN connection by timing how long it takes to hit 'HD mode'. A good one should be able to do it in <30 sec (fastest I've tested is 15 sec).

For Hulu, it obviously has to work (most don't). For speed testing, I let it run for like 5 to 10 min. If no buffering at HD mode, then it's good.

Unfortunately, not many meet the above 2 test criteria. At the moment, I only have a handful of 'good' US VPN connections in my list.

For PIA, which US server can pass both of the aforementioned tests ?
You and I have very different expectations then. For Netflix I used to be able to get HD without buffering from Astrill and thats because I can get 10-12MB/s download from Netflix. Right now, it takes 30 secs as you've mentioned. PIA will also achieve HD within 30 secs for me, but thats to be expected, I pay cheap, so I don't expect too much from it, but thats not the case for Astrill which does cost significantly more.

As for P2P, their Los Angeles 1 and Netherlands servers used to be really fast. Now they barely support more than 20MB/s, and don't even mention Singapore 2, its a rubbish P2P server. Not only that, they keep switching around their P2P servers, they are always down for some maintenance or perennially congested.

I have to concede though, Astrill as an impressive list of servers, but whats the point if the performance for most of them have dropped or are subpar now. The only server still good now is New Zealand, and I use that only to watch PremierleaguePass.
Asakura likes this.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #1149

You and I have very different expectations then. For Netflix I used to be able to get HD without buffering from Astrill and thats because I can get 10-12MB/s download from Netflix. Right now, it takes 30 secs as you've mentioned. PIA will also achieve HD within 30 secs for me, but thats to be expected, I pay cheap, so I don't expect too much from it, but thats not the case for Astrill which does cost significantly more.

As for P2P, their Los Angeles 1 and Netherlands servers used to be really fast. Now they barely support more than 20MB/s, and don't even mention Singapore 2, its a rubbish P2P server. Not only that, they keep switching around their P2P servers, they are always down for some maintenance or perennially congested.

I have to concede though, Astrill as an impressive list of servers, but whats the point if the performance for most of them have dropped or are subpar now. The only server still good now is New Zealand, and I use that only to watch PremierleaguePass.
Lots of assumptions and selective replies there.

Did I even utter a word about Astrill? If you've read my past few posts, you'll clearly see me bashing them for their deteriorating performance.

My go to VPN provider is no longer Astrill and definitely not PIA. (Hint : it's not any of those mentioned in this thread)

Also, why no comment regarding Hulu and PIA? That's because none of their servers work with Hulu the last time I tested.

And which PIA server can get you to HD for Netflix in 30 sec consistently? From the tests I've done, none can do that even if I extend it to 1 minute.
Old 17-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #1150

For those on PIA and still loving their service, any recommendations on which servers you use for climbing or streaming videos via YouTube and general Web surfing? My current subscription is expiring in a month's time and I'm still on the fence whether to renew or just stick with TorGuard.
phrozact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #1151

Don't bother with PureVPN. Really poor performance on VQ & ST. Maybe you'll have better luck with other ISP and their different route prioritization.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #1152

For my case, I'm doing my own policy-based routing on the MikroTik CCR which effectively is similar to Smart DNS like Unotelly.

Only the geo-loc verification servers go through VPN. The actual streaming can still be direct via the ISP but here, I've the advantage of choosing to use the VPN (or even another VPN or my other ISP) depending on whichever is providing the best performance.
I did something like this a couple of years ago, and it looks like I might end up going back to do this again.

Elpibe, would you be willing to share (privately?) which are the geolocation hostnames/IP addresses that you route?

I can't remember the specifics right now, but I used to route large chunks of amazon space through a VPN to the US in order to handle one of the streaming services that seemed to throw up new geoloc servers all the time. This was rather painful.
salmonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #1153

And, what services are recommended for a SG user to access CN content that is blocked for users outside of China (and is also blocked for HK). Everything that I've tried is slow, has high packet loss, etc.

I'm open to using a VPN service, getting (cheap) VPS, etc. Don't like things like HolaVPN.
salmonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #1154

i think Astrill is slow in my opinion. Im using M1 broadband, not sure if that affects. Using torguard now to climb,as they do not track user activities... so far, their servers are serving me well as well.. can also watch netflix without problems.

torguard true annoymous
playnwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #1155

I have been using AirVPN for quite sometime without complains, YMMV.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.