HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Like Tree588Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #1171

Yes, definitely a good news regarding OpenWeb 3.0. It's a pity it will work on Windows only but I hope OS X version will follow up shortly. I also know they are working with Apple to launch OpenWeb on iOS which would be great. This is one of the reasons why I definitely consider them number one, as they are always working on some improvements and non standard solutions.
Thanks for the heads up on the iOS
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #1172

Considering to sign up a VPN provider to pair with a tianmao m10 box, will be watching mainly contents from China. I'm a new to vpn and will appreciate recommendations on a service provider with good speed for china.

Thanks
tech_oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #1173
Supremacy Member

Great reviews stiwipl!

Astrill tweet 2 days ago that they are currently working on OpenWeb Ver 3.0 that will tunnels all applications (currently it only works on the web browsers). It's fast, with little to no overhead, comparing to other VPNs. They are looking for beta testers.
Bro. you beta tester?
Old 13-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #1174

Bro. you beta tester?
Nope, I'm still waiting for their final release.

If you want to beta test v3 -> http://dropbox.astrill.com/file-M.4W...-v3-beta10.exe

These are some Astrill 3.0 new features:

App Guard - You can now block P2P programs if VPN is off or suddenly got disconnected. Much easier than fiddling with the complicated Windows Firewall settings -> Astrill Setup Manual: How to configure any torrent client to work only while Astrill OpenVPN is connected

OpenWeb Full Mode - Now you can tunnels all programs instead of only the web browsers, it's fast and with zero overhead.

It also fixes an issue when switching from OpenVPN / StealthVPN back to OpenWeb.

Old 15-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #1175
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bookmark........
raysusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #1176
Arch-Supremacy Member

i find the configuration from windows firewall a fool proof way of killing torrent if astrill vpn is down. i dont think it is hard to configure.
MikeDirnt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #1177

[...]
12VPN - Hidden gem it seems and probably the most serious competitor to Astrill.
This is a follow up to my review here.

I had to cancel 12VPN in the end. It is a really great provider, with fantastic support but my ultimate reasons were:

1. They saw my Skype traffic as P2P as essentially their robot was kicking me out from their servers. They do not allow P2P which I am fine with but I was surprised that Skype upon launching may have 400-500 connections within seconds. I read further and apparently Skype is selecting users to act as nodes or super nodes. You can Google it to read further. I intend to block UDP Skype port (but it is not possible via Mac app), I could block it on the router but then it would still not work when using VPN on the desktop. One of the solution is Little Snitch but I have not decided yet whether it is worth to spend S$50 just for blocking Skype's UDP.

2. Their OpenWEB protocol works differently than Astrill. For instance in Astrill when connected to OpenWEB all videos, downloading files and even terminal commands are routed via OpenWEB, while with 12VPN it goes directly through your ISP with the exception of well known websites such as Youtube (this are routed through their OpenWEB).

3. In addition to their restrictive policy on OpenWEB, I also had some problems when using OpenVPN. Certain flash video websites are streaming on non default ports and this are blocked on 12VPN. A quick email to them describing the problem, showing the website will fix the issues (as they will whitelist the ports) but sometimes it is not convenient when the videos streams we are referring to are on a subscription based website. I also did not manage to download files directly from the browser on port :8080 as it was blocked.

So yes, while initially it looked great, the more extensive testing showed they are quite restrictive in terms what is allowed and what is not. If however it works for you, this is great little provider with fast servers and interesting solutions.

NordVPN - their new OS X beta app is too big for my liking, although clean and clear in terms of layout. The speeds I was getting were far from good (max. 20-25Mbps). I have nothing good to say about them, maybe except for good privacy and P2P (if you care about it). I think they gave me a free trial when I sent them an email.

Proxy.sh - their website is putting me off but I gave them a try, $2 - two hubs available Netherland and USA. Discount code 10% ILUVPROXYSH. The claim to offer a lot in terms of privacy such as: "SoftEther, TOR, obfsproxy, ECC and XOR - well, good on paper. In practice their OS X app does not support this features yet. Their OS X Safejumper app is natively designed but not intuitive and very limited in settings. You can't for example change ports or protocols. Also its default setting is "hubs", which means you connect to NL hub or US hub. On 10 VPN reconnections I landed in different data center every time! I don't have to say how speeds and performance greatly varied. Then in advances settings you can select option to show you all servers in hubs. There were like 30 servers in NL hub and upon checking all of them only one performed very good. Also some were not working... One was NL server with virtual US IP (no explanation completely). Frankly speaking I am not a fan of such strategy. I prefer if VPN have 2-3 different data centers in the same country, call them NL1, NL2, NL3 and focus on its development, instead of having 15 when just one is performing well. FAIL.

VPN.ac - I bought $2 seven days trial account, discount code 30% VPNREV. Their OS X app is definitely not natively designed. Looks like Windows 98 port to OS X. Good in terms of privacy, P2P allowed. 6 devices. Good options like OpenVPN XOR, ECC etc, supported on the app. Different ports. Surprisingly good speeds (I was getting 80Mbit on their NL servers - just to remind my isp limit is 100/20). If they polish their OS X app, it will not be a bad choice. Also one note: there is 2TB traffic limit per month.

I am thinking about trying Buffered VPN & Express VPN. ExpressVPN app looks almost exactly the same as VyprVPN which worries me. I had bad experience with VyprVPN in terms of speed. I wonder if there is any affiliation between them, considering the same pricing policy.

I am also going to try AirVPN once again, I remember they were quite good. There is a discount 15% now when using WHIRLPOOL_AIRVPN

Being spoilt by Astrill both in terms of how well their apps are polished with great features and speeds, it is not an easy task to find an alternative backup. Perhaps I am demanding too much...
oric1 and hnzfaz like this.

Last edited by stiwipl; 15-10-2015 at 06:45 PM..
stiwipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #1178

i find the configuration from windows firewall a fool proof way of killing torrent if astrill vpn is down. i dont think it is hard to configure.
Unfortunately when I've McAfee Firewall, I can't do it so my only bet is to wait for v3.0
Old 15-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #1179
Arch-Supremacy Member

Unfortunately when I've McAfee Firewall, I can't do it so my only bet is to wait for v3.0
mcafee firewall is crap. i uninstalled it and re-installed mcafee without their firewall option.

if you are using mcafee firewall, the windows firewall is disabled.
MikeDirnt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #1180

Hi Guys

Anyone use this? https://www.expressvpn.com/

I want to sign a VPN to watch some China content.

Can recommend me , sorry noob here
Old 17-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #1181
Arch-Supremacy Member

is IPvanish good ?
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #1182
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is Astrill still slow recently ?
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #1183

Hi Guys

Anyone use this? https://www.expressvpn.com/

I want to sign a VPN to watch some China content.

Can recommend me , sorry noob here
ExpressVPN does not even have a VPN server location in China.

As far as I know (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong), there are not any VPN services that provide sufficient throughput for China video streams during peak hours.
salmonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #1184
Arch-Supremacy Member

i use PIA, i find them good because they do not collect your details like address.etc just ur email and payment.

speeds are fast enough
localITguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #1185
Arch-Supremacy Member

ExpressVPN does not even have a VPN server location in China.

As far as I know (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong), there are not any VPN services that provide sufficient throughput for China video streams during peak hours.
yes. that is indeed true. someone correct me if i am wrong
localITguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.