HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can I use router that is given by other internet service provider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Master Member

Can I use router that is given by other internet service provider?

If I am using M1, can I user router that is given by other internet providers like Singtel/Starhub...? Not sure if each company customize anything to the router or not, worry if it will compatible with other company or not. Thanks.

(Note: not asking about those routers bought in retail stores (I understand that those router from retail stores can use on any internet provider), I am asking about those routers bought/given by singtel/starhub/m1 and other internet service providers)

Last edited by super365; 26-06-2020 at 01:50 PM..
super365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Master Member

No problem for those linksys and Asus ones. I have been using them as access points and switches.

2 Asus from M1, 1 linksys from SH
Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Starhub and M1 router are usually okie to use between either ISP.

Singtel are the only telco using a lot customization. Some singtel model does work with Starhub and M1.

Singtel is on VLAN therefore not all Starhub and M1 issue router support VLAN. So they might not be suitable to use main router. But we still can configure starhub/m1 router in AP mode.
Old 26-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Most routers should be vendor agnostic, most impt is to check the brand of the router for the specifics.
Cryophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

only ST need VLAN config. But even then, most of the "operator free" routers can do VLAN config nowsadays, so all you got to do is google how to setup, thats all.
iduncheckmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Master Member

SingTel AC Elite/1900 and AC Plus cannot be used with other ISPs as the main router. It should work as an AP behind the main router.

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-06-2020 at 06:26 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

If Singtel ONR all the more cannot reuse w other isps or even casually swap w another singtel user.
Qubicfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Master Member

If Singtel ONR all the more cannot reuse w other isps or even casually swap w another singtel user.
Singtel ONR belongs to SingTel and you have to return if you terminate the contract.

For the free AC Plus, that is yours and no need to return.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

ISP/RSP provided router is basically the same as what you get from retail shop. Customization of firmware is usually on RG device to suit their specific requirement like VLAN trunking for Internet/VoIP/TV traffic.

AFAIK, ONT/ONR is basically locked (based on SN number) to subscriber's address thus can't be reuse anywhere else.
albertlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.