Connect routers same network

pool7979

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice regarding networking issues. Is there anyway I can connect 3 routers together, but all in the same network, allowing for file sharing?

I'm currently connected via lan to lan, it allows me to have file sharing and Internet for all by disabling dchp on secondary routers. However, these secondary routers can't be access externally, ie using Asus app, check firmware etc.

If I connect lan to wan, then file sharing doesn't work. Any way to best configure?

Thanks!

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice regarding networking issues. Is there anyway I can connect 3 routers together, but all in the same network, allowing for file sharing?

I'm currently connected via lan to lan, it allows me to have file sharing and Internet for all by disabling dchp on secondary routers. However, these secondary routers can't be access externally, ie using Asus app, check firmware etc.

If I connect lan to wan, then file sharing doesn't work. Any way to best configure?

Thanks!

Main unit leave it in router mode.
Switch the rest to access point mode.

tonyep

Reaction score
OK thanks I try. Connection wise, do I use lan (main router) to wan (secondary routers)

lan to lan. Secondary routers IP are to be set manually to an unused main router's IP addresses and DHCP turned off.

pool7979

Reaction score
lan to lan. Secondary routers IP are to be set manually to an unused main router's IP addresses and DHCP turned off.

Hi thanks. If lan to lan, can the secondary routers still accessed external, since no wan?

pool7979

Reaction score
Yeah all asus. One of which is ac87, so I can't aimesh. So I lan (main router) wan (secondary and 3rd) routers is the correct way?

If I plug a hdd into one of the secondary router I can use still use file sharing?

Last time remember tried lan to wan but had problem. Maybe I didn't set correctly.

So main router I no need configure. Just normal router mode. The ap any special I need configure after i select ap mode?

Thanks!

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah all asus. One of which is ac87, so I can't aimesh. So I lan (main router) wan (secondary and 3rd) routers is the correct way?

If I plug a hdd into one of the secondary router I can use still use file sharing?

Last time remember tried lan to wan but had problem. Maybe I didn't set correctly.

So main router I no need configure. Just normal router mode. The ap any special I need configure after i select ap mode?

Thanks!

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1015009/

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi what do i enter for Dns? I can't auto Dns as I selected to get ip manually

I recommend you let it get automatically assigned first and change it afterwards. Less issues.

If you prefer more complications, then point to your router IP.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router to the Internet port (WAN port) of the secondary router.

This type of cascading requires the main router and the secondary router to have different IP segments. This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers and other devices in the network are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments. However, computers that are connected to the main router will not be able to communicate with the secondary router, and vice versa since there are two (2) different networks.

7sbmx.png

LAN to WAN - Connecting one of the Ethernet/LAN ports of the main router to the Internet port (WAN port) of the secondary router.

This type of cascading requires the main router and the secondary router to have different IP segments. This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers and other devices in the network are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments. However, computers that are connected to the main router will not be able to communicate with the secondary router without additional configuration, and vice versa since there are two different networks.

In general, this is a less preferred method, as it requires additional configuration (manual/static routing) that isn't always possible on consumer routers.

KB3733-004_EN_v18e.PNG

Thanks!

This could be due to limitation of the Asus app which only recognise the main router.
B4 you set to bridge mode, either you set a static ip on the 2nd & 3rd router or do a ip reservation on the main router for the 2nd & 3rd router so that you can access them by just keying the ip address into the browser later on.

pool7979

Reaction score
Hi guys, I resolved my problems.
Just sharing. I have 3 router hooked up together.
Main connect to the other 2 router, via lan to wan. I set access point for the 2 routers, and assign ip, 192.168.1.2 and 3 respectively.

Hard disk can only plus to the main router in order to work. I didn't know that until I called Asus in the afternoon.

Needa configure windows 10. Somemore windows update doesn't allow pple to view network drives anymore.

Control panel, administrative, services and there are these 2 services call functional... Etc. Set to automatic delayed start.

After this, I am able to view my cloud hdd from any of my phones /PC connected to my home WiFi or lan liao.

Thanks guys for helping!!!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.