HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Connecting an ethernet switch to a router

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #1

Connecting an ethernet switch to a router

After some googling today, I learnt that an ethernet switch must be connect to a router, and not the other way round.

Yet this configuration has worked for me for the past month or so. Today, it suddenly failed and I am unable to use my ethernet devices with my wifi router turned on at the same time.

Due to the way the CAT cables in my house is hidden, I am unable to pull a CAT5 cable from the wifi router back to where the ethernet switch is located.

My question is:

1) Why did my configuration suddenly stopped working when it did before? Did the ISP do anything?
2) Since I can't pull a wire back, can I get a second cheap router and connect the wifi router and ethernet switch back to it? If so, what should I get? (Currently on a 300Mbps Viewquest plan)
flee0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
Master Member

Too little info as nobody can give you a proper answer.

Which ISP, plan, Router, ONT / ONR, etc.

A diagram of your layout on the connection to various devices.

Normally cable layout should not be an issue.

The issue lies in how your connection is and there are many reason for the failures.

A detail layout would be better for anyone to advice you further..
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.